• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crossfit, Day 1

Re: Crossfit, Day 1

I do crossfit about 5 times a week. The first week can be sore and tough my advice is power through. Be careful man it is addictive!

Nice job!

Keep it up!

And, if need be, scale your workouts for the first little while. It took me a few months before I could do the entire WODs and not almost kill myself.
smile.gif

unless you are training to compete in the crossfit games i highly suggest varying up your workout, long cardio and standard lifting with longer rest periods is excellent for you. varying your workout will make you a lot more well rounded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well....how was day two and three? </div></div>

Yeah-I'm sore. I haven't been doing any running at all, and it's hitting the muscles differently than my standard legs workout. I've had a little upper body soreness, but not as much as expected. My biggest problem is cardio, I'm usually having to slow down to let my heart rate come down rather than because of muscle fatigue. I'm guessing that will come once the cardio starts improving.

I hadn't seen those, Nomad, I'll check them out

Thanks for the input, Big Joe, Im going to focus on Crossfit for a while but definitely don't intend to do it exclusively long-term. Its getting done what I need right now- dropping some extra weight and bringing my cardio up. I'm actually pretty happy with my upper and lower body strength, although the core can use some improvement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well....how was day two and three? </div></div>

He quit.
laugh.gif

Kidding. Keep it up. We owe it to ourselves and our loved ones.

Charge forward!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

When I started the leg soreness was so bad I thought about trying to poop standing up. lol

--Fargo007 </div></div>

I now know EXACTLY what you mean. If I didn't have a wall on each side, I wouldn't be able to get down and back up. But, I can now at least get down the steps without falling, that's a major improvement.

We did Karen on Monday, it took me 16:00 even, but I had to drop to a 14lb ball after 40 reps. If you think you're in shape, wallball will humble you fast. I'm still hurting, bad. And my partner did the 150 reps in 6:03, not even human. The rest of the week has been a fog of burning thighs.

I did skip today, I'm leaving tomorrow for my last 3 gun match of the year, and it's a recon type match where you carry all your gear all weekend. If things don't improve quickly, I'm going to be a hurting puppy by Sunday afternoon.

So, I'm taking this week off. Turns out that running in cool air with a chest cold can help lead to pneumonia- which is NOT fun. Hopefully will be good to go again next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

When I started the leg soreness was so bad I thought about trying to poop standing up. lol

--Fargo007 </div></div>

I now know EXACTLY what you mean. If I didn't have a wall on each side, I wouldn't be able to get down and back up. But, I can now at least get down the steps without falling, that's a major improvement.

We did Karen on Monday, it took me 16:00 even, but I had to drop to a 14lb ball after 40 reps. If you think you're in shape, wallball will humble you fast. I'm still hurting, bad. And my partner did the 150 reps in 6:03, not even human. The rest of the week has been a fog of burning thighs.

I did skip today, I'm leaving tomorrow for my last 3 gun match of the year, and it's a recon type match where you carry all your gear all weekend. If things don't improve quickly, I'm going to be a hurting puppy by Sunday afternoon. </div></div>

LOL! See? I wasn't bullshitting.

You are sticking with it and showing that you have heart. It takes a while but you will be competing with those guys in no time. Remember everyone has strengths and weaknesses....

I can't touch some guys in my box with heavy weights but I totally smoke most of them in work capacity WoD's and body weight stuff. You will probably find your niche too. Celebrate it when you get out front, because it's all yours.

--Fargo007

I'm on the far end of the scale, I can hang on the heavy parts but feel like my heart is coming through my chest jumping rope. It'll come, though.

Stay with it. Scale your workouts on the days that you don't feel 100%. At my age I am happy just to be included in the same thing that the 20-somethings are doing. But on a good day I can hang with them! If you can do that, then you will indeed be part of a very small group of people.
smile.gif

Congratulations! I've been drinking the CF KoolAid for about 14 months. Some tips: 1) Show up reliably as/when your coach suggests; 2) Concentrate on form; 3) Take some fish oil supplements to help with inflammation; 4) "Dry Fit" type tops and zero-drop shoes are helpful; 5) Have someone take full-length front, side, and rear photos of you each month. Seeing is believing. Believing is motivational. 6) Have fun!

RX'd today, doing deadlifts. But what made my day was climbing the 14' rope, I did it twice with no trouble at all. Six weeks ago I literally couldn't get up 2'. I haven't touched the rope since until today. I haven't been able to get my fat butt up a rope in years.

Good for you man. Everytime you feel like "this stuffs gonna kill me" esp cardio just know if you keep payin the man before you know it your be at your goal and only lookin farther forward.

BGE

I agree with James, it can be very addictive especially when you start seeing results. I have been doing crossfit for about a year now 4 to 5 times a week most workouts I go rx but it is one hell of a challange. I had to take a month off, my body needed a rest. I had to realize 31 is not the same as 18 lol. Keep it up.

Keep it up!

If I can do half of what the 20-something year-old girls in the class do I count myself lucky, and strong.

Of course, at my age it doesn't hurt to remind myself that I am holding my own (not literally, VJJ
laugh.gif
) in a class with real 20-year-old girls.
grin.gif

I have been crossfitting for a couple years now. Not often enough but trying to stay true to the course and I will say is hard. I still can't complete a lot of the workouts with the prescribed weight. I almost always have to go down before it is over but I love it. When you really get to thinking your a bad ass get you some seal fit and see what your made of. I had to stop it. For time constrants if nothing else. Keep up the good work. It will get addicting and you will soon have to have it at least a few times per week. You owe it to yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill be starting cross fit too. cant wait. Tired of being fat. </div></div>

DO IT.

I'm just over 3 months in, the improvement is amazing. Read the post above by Wyoming Shooter and follow it all like gospel. I didn't have 'before' pictures taken, now I'm really wishing I had. I've lost a grand total of 1 pound, but have dropped a couple inches in the waist and even more around the midsection. I'm more hyped about it now than before.

As a side benefit, the minor lower back issue I've had a little while is improving, and my chronic shoulder pain is completely gone most of the time. Except when I do stupid things, like climbing the rope 10x after Rx'ing on thrusters yesterday, then climbing it again today before doing pull ups and ring dips. Still, the pain right now is no worse than it used to be when I hadn't worked out.

Oh, and the post above by Fargo007 about pooping standing up after the first few sessions ain't no joke, but fortunately you push through that stage pretty quickly!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill be starting cross fit too. cant wait. Tired of being fat. </div></div>

DO IT.

I'm just over 3 months in, the improvement is amazing. Read the post above by Wyoming Shooter and follow it all like gospel. I didn't have 'before' pictures taken, now I'm really wishing I had. I've lost a grand total of 1 pound, but have dropped a couple inches in the waist and even more around the midsection. I'm more hyped about it now than before.

As a side benefit, the minor lower back issue I've had a little while is improving, and my chronic shoulder pain is completely gone most of the time. Except when I do stupid things, like climbing the rope 10x after Rx'ing on thrusters yesterday, then climbing it again today before doing pull ups and ring dips. Still, the pain right now is no worse than it used to be when I hadn't worked out. </div></div>
Just did my first class and wow what an experience and cool group of people. And yeah my legs are murdered! I have to hang onto the bathroom sink to lower myself down. I am also doing the diet as well.

I also have soreness in the back after working out and chronic shoulder pain always have since I got out of the Corps. Maybe getting in shape will help.

I've been crossfitting for about a year now. I have chronic shoulder problems also. Found out my mobility in my shoulders is my main issue. I Rx most WODs except the days of OHS (overhead squats) or snatches. Get with your trainer and ask him for some mobility work you can do for shoulders and check out www.mobilitywod.com. It has a ton of youtube videos on shoulder mobs.
Keep it up. The only easy day was yesterday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BroncoVol74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been crossfitting for about a year now. I have chronic shoulder problems also. Found out my mobility in my shoulders is my main issue. I Rx most WODs except the days of OHS (overhead squats) or snatches. Get with your trainer and ask him for some mobility work you can do for shoulders and check out www.mobilitywod.com. It has a ton of youtube videos on shoulder mobs.
Keep it up. The only easy day was yesterday. </div></div>

Thanks for the mobility website. I'm out of town this week it will give me something to do in the hotel room.

I have been crossfit ting for a year and a half and it has changed my life. I am 37 and had not really exercised in 18 years when I started. Almost puked doing burpees the 1 st time. I am an addict now. A lot more flexible and it good shape. Definitely stronger. I have to credit the guy who owns my gym with helping get through the first few months.

Crossfit is the best fitness out there. CF day one for me was run 400 50 squats; run 250 wlk 150 35 squats; walk 200 puke on the side of the road; go home. Come a long way. When you get to be a badass try this: www.sealfit.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: egraham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been crossfit ting for a year and a half and it has changed my life. I am 37 and had not really exercised in 18 years when I started. Almost puked doing burpees the 1 st time. I am an addict now. A lot more flexible and it good shape. Definitely stronger. I have to credit the guy who owns my gym with helping get through the first few months. </div></div>

Have you found any good resources as far as diet goes?

Have you found any good resources as far as diet goes? [/quote]

I try to stay on the paleo track as much as possible. If I go strict paleo for 30 days I can tell I am getting stronger and faster. I have been up as high as 265.and now I am around 200. I think diet is real important especially as you get older. I have 2 small kids so eating right is sometimes impossible. Pm me your email and I can send you some links.

Agree with all the above. I've been doing crossfit for about 18 months and I'm faster and have more endurance at 40 than I did at 20! I've lost only about 25 pounds but 4" around my waist and just feels tons better. Hell, I don't even get back pain anymore. Paleo eating is key. I was religious about it at first, now I cheat more but I'm still pretty good about eating right.
For all you on the fence, DO IT!
Dan Z

Congratulations on sticking with it.
I've been at it for about five years now.
My wife has been a trainer at our local crossfit gym for the same amount of time.
We go to the games every year to watch...

Just a heads up, don't forget to let your body recover.
Most folks get very impressive gains in overall fitness and ability in the first year and then stabilize a bit after that.
They typically react to the slow down in gains by punishing themselves even harder, as everyone is usually still in the "crossfit horny" stage at that point. It is addictive, and lots of people overdose right around the 1 to 1.5 year mark.
More rest at that point with a bit more focus on olympic lifting and shorter wods generally gets better results past that point.
The folks you see at the games and on the videos truly are freaks of nature, for the average person doing two-a-days and regularly scheduled hour long "chippers" isn't good for your durability in the long term.
Good luck !