• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Crossfit (or any other workout) in the early AM

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
I'm about to start doing Crossfit before work, 6am class start. I've never worked out before work, meals, etc so I'm wondering what most of you do or what's recommended for workouts first thing.

I see my options as:

#1 - Drink a cup of coffee on the way there. Protein shake when done.

#2 - Drink a little coffee on the way there and a protein shake as well pre workout.

#3 - Drink water on the way there, coffee and protein after.

#4 - Sleep in.

Any other recommendations?

J

Re: Crossfit (or any other workout) in the early AM

Get up at 5am. Eat a proper breakfast. Then go to the gym.

Or drink a Gatorade, work out, then go eat a big breakfast.

Option 4, hands down! I'll take lonely workouts at midnight after a long day at the office, over the drudgery of a tough am workout. One of the biggest problems I had when I used to workout early was that I was exhausted for the rest of the day.

Ive got to eat prior to a wod

I'd recommend getting some fruit and nuts dOwn with the protein shake

A larabar if nothing else

Well here and a few dozen crossfit sites have about 100 different opinions, so go figure. I'm going to try just a small coffee before, some water w/ BCAAs during and a protein shake immediately following. More solid protein like breakfast shortly after.

If that doesn't work, there's always Monday
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well here and a few dozen crossfit sites have about 100 different opinions, so go figure. I'm going to try just a small coffee before, some water w/ BCAAs during and a protein shake immediately following. More solid protein like breakfast shortly after.

If that doesn't work, there's always Monday
smile.gif
</div></div>

If you're trying to burn fat that route will work GREAT. You won't be as strong, or as fast but it'll help you stay lean for sure. Let us now how it goes.

Class one done. Not to intense, had a good time. My dietary plan worked fine, though I was ready for that protein after finishing.

I've not super lean, but not overweight for sure. Might stick with this plan for 30 days to cut a little fat and then switch to something for more strength building.

So for strength building, 3 eggs or so an hour before the workout?

I have always done my workout/run before work but can never eat a full meal prior. I use Endurance Max Energy Gel before workouts with very good results. It has all the carbs/electrolytes you'll need and it will not tear up your stomach like the others. They have one with caffeine in it also.

Good Luck with the Crossfit !

If I don't have enough time to eat a full meal before working out then I will usually drink a protein shake and eat a bowl of oatmeal or banana. I usually will have enough energy to get me thru the workout.

I *personally* never eat a full meal before a tough workout for fear of booting all over the place. I also *personally* concentrate on dumping a good amount of protein into my system after the workout.

I *personally* LOVE working out before work. It just puts me in a good upbeat frame of mind and the pump makes me fill out my uniform sleeves (kidding).

Find what works for you brother, ANYTHING beats option #4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find what works for you brother, ANYTHING beats option #4. </div></div>

Ab-so-fucking-lutely, I could not have said it better my self!

I recommend getting some chow in ya before you hit it, I think you will get much more out of your workout. Also I think the no chow before PT to help cut fat isnt the best idea. I say eat smaller meals much more often and do more PT. I eat a modest to large ammount of chow about every 2 hours from 0300 to 1900 every day & I stay around 8% body fat. I just try and keep a good dite, basically no soda and other junk and a crap load of PT. I get up every work day at 0300 to get in 2 hours of solid PT before work (I have to drive an hour to the gym and work). I will eat a bowl of quality cereal before PT with at least 2% milk and plenty of it with a glass of 100% juice. On the hour drive to the gym I have about a 15oz coffee that I brew, and it will wake the dead. I pound h20 whial weight traning which I do after a good run or a session on a endless stair machine set on kill. With in 20 min after I have downed a quality whey protein shake (about 20g) mixed with water, and more water through out the day. Between lunch and dinner I down a second 20g protein shake mixed with water to keep up with the recovery b/c I have an active job and am set on kill during my PT. I am a cranky bitch when I miss a morning in the gym. I dont think PT after work would work for me, I have been doing it before the sun comes up for way too long. However to each his own. Im no expert by any means and these are just my .02 so YMMV. Most important isnt when it that you are doing it! Keep pushing yourself & enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find what works for you brother, ANYTHING beats option #4. </div></div>

Ab-so-fucking-lutely, I could not have said it better my self!

I recommend getting some chow in ya before you hit it, I think you will get much more out of your workout. Also I think the no chow before PT to help cut fat isnt the best idea. I say eat smaller meals much more often and do more PT. I eat a modest to large ammount of chow about every 2 hours from 0300 to 1900 every day & I stay around 8% body fat. I just try and keep a good dite, basically no soda and other junk and a crap load of PT. I get up every work day at 0300 to get in 2 hours of solid PT before work (I have to drive an hour to the gym and work). I will eat a bowl of quality cereal before PT with at least 2% milk and plenty of it with a glass of 100% juice. On the hour drive to the gym I have about a 15oz coffee that I brew, and it will wake the dead. I pound h20 whial weight traning which I do after a good run or a session on a endless stair machine set on kill. With in 20 min after I have downed a quality whey protein shake (about 20g) mixed with water, and more water through out the day. Between lunch and dinner I down a second 20g protein shake mixed with water to keep up with the recovery b/c I have an active job and am set on kill during my PT. I am a cranky bitch when I miss a morning in the gym. I dont think PT after work would work for me, I have been doing it before the sun comes up for way too long. However to each his own. Im no expert by any means and these are just my .02 so YMMV. Most important isnt when it that you are doing it! Keep pushing yourself & enjoy. </div></div>

That's always been the way for me and I am finally getting back into the routine. I pretty much become addicted to working out and my body almost goes into withdraw when I don't lift for a few days. Very motivating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to try just a small coffee before, some water w/ BCAAs during and a protein shake immediately following. More solid protein like breakfast shortly after.</div></div>

An update. ^^^ This is pretty much what I've done. Went Fri/Mon/Tue/Wed so far and no feeling of needing more energy while there. I'm sore as heck, but that's to be expected after not doing much real exercise for a while, it's a good pain.

I might try mixing in a small protein shake on the way there, maybe 1/2 scoop of some quick absorbing whey protein, so 12-15 grams or so. Then a full scoop (27gr protein) of a protein shake mix afterwards that has whey/casein/egg protein for slower release/absorption rate.

Adding my 2cents. It is really important to eat something before working out in the mornings. Eating before helps with energy levels, rebuilding and if you are burning fat versus an anaerobic work out.
Lighter meals such as a protein shake is the way to go and +1 to everyone that mentioned more protein after working out.
Once you start working out in the morning consistently it becomes second nature and you will feel lethargic if you do not workout before work! At least i know i do.
Best of luck to you and keep up the good work!

Note - I am a USAW Sports Performance Coach and CrossFit L1 Trainer that runs a box at home and has a good background in nutrition.

Personally, I am in the eat before you train category. At least 30minutes to an hour before hand. It is going to take whatever you eat that long to hit your bloodstream.

If you don't have the time for sweet potato hash browns with eggs for breakfast, opt for a protein shake and piece of soft fruit. It is kinda important to get some sugars in your system. Especially if you're doing 20min+ metcons.

If you don't fuel before you go, your body will end up catabolizing muscle tissue to get glucose to feed your brain. This is even more true if you are in the aforementioned WOD till you drop category.

This is my personal Pre-WO shake (30-45 minutes before):

One scoop Isoflexx Natural
Half a banana
Some frozen blueberries or strawberries
raw milk till desired consistency is reached

It gives me 50g+ of protein, simple sugars and quality fats. I stack this with my pre-WO supps: (fish oil, magnesium, alpha-lipoic acid, and plain old creatine monohydrate that is dissolved in black coffee).

Adding your BCAA's to this will give you a pretty amazing pre-WO meal replacement. Remember to "chew" your shake. Mimicing that chewing action stimulates the salivary glands and enzymatic processes. It will help aid in digestion.

Your post-WO meal should be cooked beforehand and can be done the night before. This will help you be able to eat immediately after while your body is starving for fuel.

Sweet potato hashbrowns (NSFW unless your bosses are cool with f*ck at work).- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj8xwMp-bq4
and beef.

The plate that is at the 4:00 mark. This is generally what I eat 90 minutes pre-WO.

Yeah, it is not ideal for your situation. Honestly, it's one of the reasons I train around noon.

In your case, I would just stick with a quality meal replacement (like above) that has a lot of easily digestible protein, quality fats and simple sugars. You'll be coming off a ~12 hour fast depending on when you eat dinner and making sure you are fueled will be a good thing.

The big meal, save for post-WO.

I guess I fall into the minority. I workout 3-4 days a week at 4:30am (at 7am for 1 or 2 additional days a week), and I don't eat prior to lifting. BTW, I don't do cardio, just weights. I feel sick to my stomach if I eat shortly after waking up, and in almost 2 years I don't recall having an energy problem in the morning at the gym.

I take a pre-workout drink (caffeine, 5g creatine), head to the gym, start with the hardest/biggest lift after warming up, and down a protein shake (30g 150 calories) following that lift. I then hit the rest of my workout and down another protein shake (30g 150 calories) and a post-workout recovery drink (BCAAs and at least 5g of creatine) immediately after the workout. Wait about 30 minutes and then I'll eat something.

I tend to run into energy problems if, on the rare occasion, I workout midafternoon. Drinking some kind of sugar free drink prior to lifting will do it as well.

I crossfit first thing in the mornings. All I do is wake up, go to the gym, do the workout, hydrate as needed. Get home shower up eat breakfast.

Don't over think it.

Over think it?

Body requires energy.
Energy comes from calories.
Calories best come from food.

Fueling before intense exercise is a smart play. Especially when you are coming from a fasted state. It promotes positive adaptations to stress. Smart fueling promotes hypertrohpy and positive hormonal responses (e.g. increased testosterone and reduced cortisol).

LOL exactly like that ^^^.

Not everyone is the same or responds the the same way to the same diet. Figure out what works for you by paying attention to what you are doing, if it isn't working change it.

J, definitely eat before the workout. does not have to be a bunch food. Something light but full of the necessary nutrients you are looking for. HIGH proteins, high carbs would be completely fine for you since your not looking to lose weight, but I assume looking to tone up and get some more muscle on those bones.

After work out, a simple healthy protein shake is fine.

You will see excellent results I am sure.

It all depends on how you feel when you wake up. If you feel good, then just go workout. If your energy level is low or you are hungry, then have something before you go. Then eat 30 minutes after your workout.

Some here may disagree but in my mind it's more about the results your hoping for that drives what and how you eat. Working out early in the morning sets you up for a great day of burning calories so if your trying to loose some BF eat accordingly. For me a great breakfast prior to working out is a slice of whole grain bread topped with peanut butter and honey with a small cup of coffee, then some oatmeal after if I feel hungry. (which I normally do), but it's a great start for me.

Almost forgot, I hate shakes before working crossfit, even drinking them almost an hour before my workout I can feel them sloshing around in my stomach.

I'm two weeks into it, so far I'm liking not eating before hand. I never feel like I could do more if I had eaten. I do try to get that protein shake within 30 minutes of being done then some real food after I shower and have a few minutes to eat.

I've been doing Intermittent Fasting for about 20 days...which translates to working out on an empty stomach everyday. I'm a slightly weaker but I'm definitely leaning down. Sometimes I do feel like I'm dragging ass a little but if you're trying to drop the pounds it seems to be the best way.

I just had the same dilemma when I started working out in the morning. I drink at least 6-8 ounces of water as soon as I wake up. I will then drink a protein shake as I go during the workout so that I can get a little extra energy. I am doing the Insanity program at my house and I can't eat because there is too much cardio. It you were just doing a weight routine then I would say you could probably eat whatever, but with a bunch of cardio I will throw up a big breakfast in a heartbeat. So, water and protein shake during the workout and then I usually eat a breakfast afterwards. If you can't go home to eat after the workout then buy some cliff bars or something and make sure you have a morning snack before lunch so that you have fuel for recovery. It seems to be working for me. I was just waking up and working out and I was completely wiped out afterwards until I figured out that I could drink the shake as I went and not have problems.

For me, my pre-5:30am workout regimen consisted of a cup of coffee and 2 cigarettes...

ahhhh to be young again...

I started doing Crossfit at 0500 just over 4 weeks ago. I found that eating just a banana and some water (about 6-8 oz) before my workout helps me out. I am not working out on an empty stomach (did that 1 day and was miserable) and not getting up an hour prior to eat and then working out on an full stomach. After workout, I try to get my protein shake down within 30 minutes, but sometimes just still to hot and spent to eat anything. Most days I shower then down the shake. This seems to work for me but YMMV. Definitely stick with it. This is probably the best workout that I have ever done (and I love it!). Good luck.

i don't cross fit in the am but have been swimming 2-3K yrds most days for about 20yrs now at 0430. I rarely eat b/c it makes me feel sick to my stomach. I eat a lot afterwards and multiple times throughout the day but not before. I do drink a Diet Pepsi though as my caffine fix needs tending to.

Your body will tell you what it needs and when. sounds like you are in the groove. I have a small crossfit set up at the house that I am trying out it seems like fun.

good for you for not choosing option4!!