• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Crossover reticle theory

HorribilisRumpusChimpus

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2023
Canuckistan
Howdy folks,

Looking to generate discussion around the pros and cons of reticle design in the application or a crossover type use. Something capable up close 25-100m but then can extended on the off chance of an opportunity 100-650(800 prone).

Problem is I can’t decide on the reticle. Tree or no tree?!

Everything I’ve owned up to this point has been tree style. But for a main hunter build I’m caught between the inherent simplicity of non tree reticles and added versatility of the tree whether I use it or not. Through exhaustive searching I’ve concluded there is no perfect close to far ffp reticle that’s the holy trinity of THLR rugged utilitarianism, ZCO mpct3x simplicity and retina burning aimpoint dot. But alas, a lad can dream.

Here’s how I see it

No tree:

Pros:

• simple at low/high mag, turn on illum=simple plex=bang flop
  • Dial for E, hold for W(I do this normally for my trees anyway)
  • No clutter to sort through in low visibility environments looking for ear flicks, antler tines, etc
Cons:

• Less info for errant shots, shouldn’t happen but I plan for every scenario.
  • Less useful when zeroing, super minor nitpicking.
  • Can’t spot as well for other shooters if I’m in a group. This assumes others have the skill, scope and ability to perform a follow up shot when given a mil correction
Tree

Pros

• what I’m used to, no reliance on new learning just new tree design.
  • Extra info on missed shots, quicker follow up if splash observed
  • Doubles as backup should turrets fail
  • Easier zero
  • More applicable should I decide to compete with platform
  • Better resell value???

Cons

• Only useful in niche circumstances that’ll probably be rare in the field.
  • If no splash observed then excess reticle could be more of hindrance than help
  • Assumes I’ll have a stable enough position to spot my own impact

That’s what I’ve thought of so far. In my area, opportunities can be at 50m around a hill or 600m cresting a cut line or clearing.

Trying to cover my bases best I can, rifle is 20” 6.5 prc with 140 eld-m. Self imposed limit of 650 maybe 800 on perfect position/day.

Quarry would be Whitetail, bear and occasional elk(probably keep this at closer range or use larger call for longer).

Lend me your thoughts, experiences and sassy quips for good measure.

I believe this is where options like the Gen 2 XR where there are some useful holds/references but not a full tree are advantageous. There's enough there to work with but not a ton of shit to get in the way.

I wish more were like this or the very least like the ZCO mpact2 or SKMR 3 and didn't start fucking with tree stuff until 2 mil and below.

I have similar use criteria as what you listed. USO B17 with H102 reticle has worked great for me. I’m sure it’ll get all kinds of hate on here, but it flat works for me. Thick circle and posts make it easy to see on low end FFP, even in low light without illum on, at high end makes it easy to use tree out to 800. This is on a 20 inch 6.5 Creedmoor AR 10 build. Have killed animals with it from 25m out to 400, steel out to 800.

For hunting, it is really hard to beat a Burris Veracity with the E1 FFP reticle. It is a FFP BDC reticle with 5 and 10 MPH wind holds, that is thin in the middle and gets progressively wider the further you go to the edge. so when you zoom way in, it is still thin in the middle and still wide enough to see at low power at the limits of legal shooting times with a wooded background. (no illumination needed)
A lot of people don't like BDC's, but for hunting i think they are super useful for fast reaction shooting 400 yards and less, and the Veracity dials beautiful for those shots that are farther with the optional "MAD knob"

I believe this is where options like the Gen 2 XR where there are some useful holds/references but not a full tree are advantageous. There's enough there to work with but not a ton of shit to get in the way.

I wish more were like this or the very least like the ZCO mpact2 or SKMR 3 and didn't start fucking with tree stuff until 2 mil and below.
Yeah design wise those heavy bars need to make a comeback for this type of application.

I don’t got TT money unfortunately. Looking more at the Atacr stuff, so yeah mil c or mil xt but it’s… a lot to look at. Got to take a look at in person.

I have similar use criteria as what you listed. USO B17 with H102 reticle has worked great for me. I’m sure it’ll get all kinds of hate on here, but it flat works for me. Thick circle and posts make it easy to see on low end FFP, even in low light without illum on, at high end makes it easy to use tree out to 800. This is on a 20 inch 6.5 Creedmoor AR 10 build. Have killed animals with it from 25m out to 400, steel out to 800.
I haven’t looked into USO in a long time, just had a peak at their site and I see what you mean. That circle of death style is very appealing, I think they’ll be next to impossible to source where I’m at without just ordering blind.

Can you comment and how and when you’ve the tree in a big game scenario?

For hunting, it is really hard to beat a Burris Veracity with the E1 FFP reticle. It is a FFP BDC reticle with 5 and 10 MPH wind holds, that is thin in the middle and gets progressively wider the further you go to the edge. so when you zoom way in, it is still thin in the middle and still wide enough to see at low power at the limits of legal shooting times with a wooded background. (no illumination needed)
A lot of people don't like BDC's, but for hunting i think they are super useful for fast reaction shooting 400 yards and less, and the Veracity dials beautiful for those shots that are farther with the optional "MAD knob"
They are a smart design despite being a little dated. I’m so used to “tactical” reticles it feels very foreign and coarse going back to hunting style thickness.

Here is a pic of the 3-15 on 4 power.

Attachments

• 20230117_134507.jpg
    20230117_134507.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 46
They are a smart design despite being a little dated. I’m so used to “tactical” reticles it feels very foreign and coarse going back to hunting style thickness.
I understand that as my brother uses target scopes for hunting... but to me it just feels like the wrong tool for the job. I can't imagine using a Mil C or Mil XT for hunting. Good luck in your search.

Yeah design wise those heavy bars need to make a comeback for this type of application.

I don’t got TT money unfortunately. Looking more at the Atacr stuff, so yeah mil c or mil xt but it’s… a lot to look at. Got to take a look at in person.

While not TT money you could probably source a S&B 5-25 for a good price