• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crown Carbon Buildup

chamberbrake

Forward Forever Backward Never
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2020
www.chamberbrake.com
Has anyone ever tried to put something on a crown like a wax or something that would make carbon buildup come off quicker. I get a lot behind my brake APA FB on a cheytac very quickly. It takes a significant amount of time to get off. Just looking for creative ideas.

Thanks,

C L R

Soak your muzzle in it for about 30 min should mostly just wipe off after that

Reactions: Terry Cross
Chamberbra ke, Huskydriver, Do you remove your brake to get at all of the muzzle? I have an AR and have build up under flash hider that no amount of soaking/wiping seems to clear. I may be just lazy.

For some reason...I had this vision that you were trying to clean the carbon off the crown of a black nitrided crown...and I thought of an old movie scene...maybe blazing saddles...but some old lady was sweeping a dirt floor and complaining that she couldn't get the floor clean....my brain is strange today.

For some reason...I had this vision that you were trying to clean the carbon off the crown of a black nitrided crown...and I thought of an old movie scene...maybe blazing saddles...but some old lady was sweeping a dirt floor and complaining that she couldn't get the floor clean....my brain is strange today.
Lol. No stainless. The APA really creates carbon and it will build up into opening.

Chamberbra ke, Huskydriver, Do you remove your brake to get at all of the muzzle? I have an AR and have build up under flash hider that no amount of soaking/wiping seems to clear. I may be just lazy.

I do yes. I run suppressed 100% of the time and after a couple hundred rounds I chuck the brake and the mounts in my ultra sonic with clr for 20-30 min... Usually they come out completely clean after that.

I take my barrel off plug the muzzle and fill it with clr for 30 min too before I scrub it a bit with a brush

I do yes. I run suppressed 100% of the time and after a couple hundred rounds I chuck the brake and the mounts in my ultra sonic with clr for 20-30 min... Usually they come out completely clean after that.

I take my barrel off plug the muzzle and fill it with clr for 30 min too before I scrub it a bit with a brush
Sounds good. Thx

G96 nitro solvent on a small square of scotch brite pad. Pressure with thumb in a back and forth circular motion takes it off in seconds. Doesn't hurt your crown either.

Screw off the brake after you shoot it and clean it on a regular basis.

My Heathen brake that doesn’t bury the crown deep in it gets very little crud buildup.
My sidewinder does bury the crown and is gets thick fast.
For my new new 7 saum barrel I had Keystone cut a longer than normal tenon an 3/4 instead of 5/8 so It’s not buried at all with a sidewinder adapter.
We’ll see how that works when my current barrel dies.

My Heathen brake that doesn’t bury the crown deep in it gets very little crud buildup.
My sidewinder does bury the crown and is gets thick fast.
For my new new 7 saum barrel I had Keystone cut a longer than normal tenon an 3/4 instead of 5/8 so It’s not buried at all with a sidewinder adapter.
We’ll see how that works when my current barrel dies.
That's similar to what I'm seeing. Thanks.

I've heard SmothKote has resistant properties to carbon. Possibly apply after cleaning for the next time... Just a theory at this point but would love to hear the results...

The engineers use some pretty good stuff at work for cleaning baked on soot/carbon buildup out of our power turbines, I’ve been meaning to pinch a bit and give it a shot.
I’ll try and find out what it’s called. I’m not sure how it will react with barrel steels, but it doesn’t harm inconel though.

CLR and mechanical removal. I'll soak for about 30min, then use a sharp and flat razor blade. I drag the blade across the muzzle held flat, chips the carbon right off. if crowned correctly, there is no harm in scraping this way. if there are little scratches that bother you, I use a small piece of 1000grit and some oil to polish the crown face after I'm done. I get the same build up after shooting a lot suppressed or with my Beast brakes.

I took my brake off one time and there was what looked like a black washer inside it, completely made up of carbon.

The engineers use some pretty good stuff at work for cleaning baked on soot/carbon buildup out of our power turbines, I’ve been meaning to pinch a bit and give it a shot.
I’ll try and find out what it’s called. I’m not sure how it will react with barrel steels, but it doesn’t harm inconel though.
Keep us posted. Thanks,