• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crush powder or load jammed

uncledillers

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2010
The great white north
So I bought some barnes 175g LRX, and started to load the up for a ladder test. So from what I read these barnes solid metal bullets like to be loaded .050 jump. And I was going to do a test between 42-45grn of Varget.
My savage seems to have a short throat, 2.235 from base to ojive. So with a .050 jump that puts the bullet at 2.185. The problem is that when loading to the 2.185 I start to really crush powder at 43grn.

So is crunching powder ok, or should I load them with a lot less powder , or even just load them jammed?

Re: Crush powder or load jammed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledillers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I bought some barnes 175g LRX, and started to load the up for a ladder test. So from what I read these barnes solid metal bullets like to be loaded .050 jump. And I was going to do a test between 42-45grn of Varget.
My savage seems to have a short throat, 2.235 from base to ojive. So with a .050 jump that puts the bullet at 2.185. The problem is that when loading to the 2.185 I start to really crush powder at 43grn.

So is crunching powder ok, or should I load them with a lot less powder , or even just load them jammed? </div></div>

So what is your OAL if you seat the bullets to touch the lands? Dont worry about crushing the Varget a bit, it happens a lot with a lot of different powders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledillers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I bought some barnes 175g LRX, and started to load the up for a ladder test. So from what I read these barnes solid metal bullets like to be loaded .050 jump. And I was going to do a test between 42-45grn of Varget.

So is crunching powder ok, or should I load them with a lot less powder , or even just load them jammed? </div></div>

So what is your OAL if you seat the bullets to touch the lands? Dont worry about crushing the Varget a bit, it happens a lot with a lot of different powders.</div></div>

OAL length is 2.906 to seat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledillers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JGorski</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledillers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I bought some barnes 175g LRX, and started to load the up for a ladder test. So from what I read these barnes solid metal bullets like to be loaded .050 jump. And I was going to do a test between 42-45grn of Varget.

So what is your OAL if you seat the bullets to touch the lands? Dont worry about crushing the Varget a bit, it happens a lot with a lot of different powders.</div></div>

OAL length is 2.906 to seat </div></div>
OK, then Id seat the bullet to an OAL of 2.850", done.

There's nothing wrong with compressed loads. Basically you can compress a powder until it's elasticity starts to push the bullet back out of the case. Some get queasy about the thought but it's really no big deal assuming your working within safe pressure perimeters. Almost every Weatherby factory cartridge is a compressed load.

That being said. Drop tubes really are amazing. You'll be shocked and delighted how much more room there is in a case using a drop tube (with stick powders anyway). Either way, though, doesn't matter.

This one works although sometimes you have to use a drop tube just to get to the point to compress. Don't think you're there yet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/293879/forster-blue-ribbon-powder-funnel-with-long-drop-tube

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's nothing wrong with compressed loads. Basically you can compress a powder until it's elasticity starts to push the bullet back out of the case. Some get queasy about the thought but it's really no big deal assuming your working within safe pressure perimeters. Almost every Weatherby factory cartridge is a compressed load.

That being said. Drop tubes really are amazing. You'll be shocked and delighted how much more room there is in a case using a drop tube (with stick powders anyway). Either way, though, doesn't matter.

This one works although sometimes you have to use a drop tube just to get to the point to compress. Don't think you're there yet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/293879/forster-blue-ribbon-powder-funnel-with-long-drop-tube </div></div>

Excellent post. Right on.

So I ended up loading with a OAL of 2.855, and using the compressed load. Outcome was pressure signs a little before I would have expected ( around 44.5grn). deffinate ejector marks and one blown out primer, but bolt lift were all smooth.

Anyway I have my nodes to continue to refine the load.
Thanks guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's nothing wrong with compressed loads. Basically you can compress a powder until it's elasticity starts to push the bullet back out of the case. Some get queasy about the thought but it's really no big deal assuming your working within safe pressure perimeters. Almost every Weatherby factory cartridge is a compressed load.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/293879/forster-blue-ribbon-powder-funnel-with-long-drop-tube</div></div>

That is a fantastic funnel. I use it for everything I load.

Blown primers are telling you that you need to find a lower node. Charge compression isn't the real issue here.

I've been there too. After two decades of handloading, I've concluded that hotloading is past the point of diminishing returns.

If a moderate load won't give you your desired performance, the better answer is to go with a cartridge that provides more chamber capacity, or try a bullet that generates less prssure. A longer barrel helps, too. High pressures are not your friend.

Greg