• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CTR for long range use?

benchmstr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
CEO Team waffle house
i have been thinking about using a CTR with a risr on my next ma-ten build...anybody have any extended use with it?

i have a couple of buddies who are larue fanboys and mall ninjas who have obr's...but sold off the ctr in place of the psr due to the ctr not being mall ninja enough for them...

i have never tried it on a precision long range rig before, and havent used a ctr at all on a 308 platform..

Re: CTR for long range use?

Would not ride a rear bag as nice, and no adjustability in cheek height, but should be fine otherwise.

I use one and like it. The weight savings was worth it to me and I get a great cheek weld with the risr.
But, we are all built differently...

I have a CTR on an M1A with a SAGE stock and use it with optics and a cheek riser. I am very pleased with it as a stock option for a scoped rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have been thinking about using a CTR with a risr on my next ma-ten build...anybody have any extended use with it?

i have a couple of buddies who are larue fanboys and mall ninjas who have obr's...but sold off the ctr in place of the psr due to the ctr not being mall ninja enough for them...

i have never tried it on a precision long range rig before, and havent used a ctr at all on a 308 platform.. </div></div>

Wow... Imagine my surprise to find out that I am a fanboy and a Mall Ninja because I have an OBR with a PRS on it. And all this time I thought I bought those products because when I actually used them, I found them to be effective and comfortable for me...

Good news is I'll be getting my fanboy merit badge and Mall Ninja decoder ring in the mail any day now...
wink.gif

There are many a shooter out there that are extremely capable at long range using that CTR with RISR. It's handier in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have been thinking about using a CTR with a risr on my next ma-ten build...anybody have any extended use with it?

i have never tried it on a precision long range rig before, and havent used a ctr at all on a 308 platform.. </div></div>

oh wow, another butt hurt fanboy who took something out of context....wish i could say i am shocked...stay out of my thread...barf.com is missing you

Wow... Imagine my surprise to find out that I am a fanboy and a Mall Ninja because I have an OBR with a PRS on it. And all this time I thought I bought those products because when I actually used them, I found them to be effective and comfortable for me...

Good news is I'll be getting my fanboy merit badge and Mall Ninja decoder ring in the mail any day now...
wink.gif
</div></div>

I have the ctr/risr combo on my ar-15 (Noveske 14.5, mid length gas, H2 buffer and Hbar spring) and i love it. It's great for all situations, imo. I like having the option of shortening things up for close-in stuff and extending the ctr out for longer range work while maintaining consistent cheek weld/ comb height. Makes getting your sight picture faster and easier and more consistent. Having a bipod obviously helps when you don't have time to prepare a good position.

slightly off topic...
You just need to make sure that when it malfunctions you use your man strength when locking the bolt to the rear with your left hand... hbar spring and the risr keep you honest on locking the bolt to the rear if you also use magpul's bad lever.

The combo works great with my rifle; having the 45 deg red dot for close in, then roll it up and kick the bipod legs out for further out. My 3 gun buddy mindf_cked me into buying all this larue stuff, but it works great imo...
CTR.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a magpul ACS instead. </div></div>

most comb raising systems do NOT work on the ACS....making it completly useless to me on this build....i always need cheek lift when it comes to long range rifles..

i might reconsider if i can find a risr like system that fits the acs though

I really liked the CTR combined with a POD. If I ever build another SPR or buy another OBR/GAP-10/etc, I'd definitely set it up with a CTR/POD and not a PRS.

The good 'ol A2 still works the best for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

IMG_5221.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The good 'ol A2 still works the best for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

IMG_5221.jpg
</div></div>
i have several ar308's with A2's, and prs's...for me it is broke, and i am fixing it lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really liked the CTR combined with a POD. If I ever build another SPR or buy another OBR/GAP-10/etc, I'd definitely set it up with a CTR/POD and not a PRS. </div></div>
the prs is cool...but just too long for my liking..i have a couple and just never can get fully comfortable behind them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i have several ar308's with A2's, and prs's...for me it is broke, and i am fixing it lol </div></div>

Instead of trying to lift your cheek with a riser, have you considered trying to lower the scope? This was my approach, as I too needed just a bit more height from a non-adjustable stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a magpul ACS instead. </div></div>

most comb raising systems do NOT work on the ACS...</div></div>

The ACS feels a bit more solid/like it has more real estate to it and works well with a rear bag. It's the perfect stock for a 308 carbine if you ask me.

Why do you need more cheekweld on an AR platform anyways? Do you have a rifle with the POF rail that puts the scope way up high?

the riser is a bad idea.

It only lets you operate the charging handle at max LOP.

If you need a cheek riser on any AR type rifle, mount the scope lower. Thats the issue, scopes are to high on most rifles. Or people but to much optic for the rifle in the first place.

The focus on these builds should be on building a rifle with 100$ ability to manipulate the firearm as designed, next is to maximize a design to aid in marksmanship.

The CTR is fine as is. UBR is a better option, a standard A1, not the A2 is the best option.

John

The RISR is the sliding Larue "riser", and allows charging with the stock in any position. I bought one along with the CTR for my LMT MWS, and the cheek weld is too high!!! Make sure you need one before shelling out. Stupid me. Look for a RISR, mounted but unused, for sale soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have been thinking about using a CTR with a risr on my next ma-ten build...anybody have any extended use with it?

oh wow, another butt hurt fanboy who took something out of context....wish i could say i am shocked...stay out of my thread...barf.com is missing you

wink.gif
</div></div> </div></div>

Once again demonstrating a stunning propensity to brandish generalizations instead of original thought. Oh ,BTW it ceases to be YOUR thread the minute you post it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have been thinking about using a CTR with a risr on my next ma-ten build...anybody have any extended use with it?

wink.gif
</div></div> </div></div>

Once again demonstrating a stunning propensity to brandish generalizations instead of original thought. Oh ,BTW it ceases to be YOUR thread the minute you post it. </div></div>
its a only a generalization to you because you failed to ask questions, and instead started running your mouth on assumption...

I always wanted to have an internet spat. Now that I've had one for my own amusement, I find it less that appealing. Back to real life...