• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CTR or LTR

Cornholeo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
Oklahoma city
Been looking at the LTR in .308 and had a dealer tell me today hold off and wait on the new CTR. This will be my first bolt gun and have around during 1300.00 to put into it. I already have a good piece of glass to go on it and will run it suppressed. Hunting and ringing steel are my primary uses for it. Both seem to be accurate sub-moa guns from everything I have read in the forums. Just looking for some input on one vs. the other from people who have knowledge on the two and why or why not you would recommend the CTR or LTR.

As always thanks in advance for helping me spend my money.:cool:

I would go with the CTR and change out the recoil lug and bolt shroud. Leave the rest as is. Pretty much ready to rock right out of the box.

Get both! I say this because I've had my LTR .308 since '06 and it's rarely shot more than .5s; last two 3-shot groups were .323 Ctc w 165 Fed 165 TBTs and .349 w 150 Fed PowerShoks. LGS promised I'd have 1st Tikka CTR .260 in Mid-South soon.

Can't hardly wait! Pondering a Silencerco Harvester v. TBAC P1 at moment.

Owning a few of each( Remington and Tikka) if I was to do it all over, it would be the CTR without a doubt.

Get the tikka and buy a krg xray chassis and a yo dave trigger spring ($10) and it'll blow away any ltr

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

i would go the CTR, change the shroud and lug. in the future look at maybe a mcmillan HTG

Last edited:
I would go CTR all the way. I wouldn't even worry about the lug. My Tikka Tactical .308 shoots significantly better than my brother in laws LTR ever did.

I found out from EuroOptic that the CTR's are going to come with the 10rd TRG mags. While it will be nice to have a quality magazine system built in already and 10rds no less (similar to the AI AW mags).. I have a hard time spending $250 a piece for mags, especially if I need 4 or 5 of them. If they could get the magazine prices down, I'd be all over a CTR, but the mag prices are just exorbitantly ridiculous. 5 mags equal the price of your gun? Come on!! I'm sure this won't bother many, but just my .02. I'd rather find a used T3, rebarrel, drop in new stock with AI compatible bottom metal for a few bucks more. The LTRs are nice guns as well. I will add that the new CTRs will be built on dedicated SA receivers as well, not the standard T3 LA (again, per EuroOptics). Basically a light weight TRG in a synthetic T3 stock.

I appreciate the info guys. The CTR is going to be my choice then. I talked to EuroOptics as well and it does seem to have alot of TRG in the gun. The 10rd mags is an issue but maybe we will see those prices drop or maybe even a group buy. The prices I have heard have been sub-1k so if you took an LTR and went the DBM route, what you would have in the LTR would equal another Tikka mag. Now the waiting begins...

I found out from EuroOptic that the CTR's are going to come with the 10rd TRG mags. While it will be nice to have a quality magazine system built in already and 10rds no less (similar to the AI AW mags).. I have a hard time spending $250 a piece for mags, especially if I need 4 or 5 of them. If they could get the magazine prices down, I'd be all over a CTR, but the mag prices are just exorbitantly ridiculous. 5 mags equal the price of your gun? Come on!! I'm sure this won't bother many, but just my .02. I'd rather find a used T3, rebarrel, drop in new stock with AI compatible bottom metal for a few bucks more. The LTRs are nice guns as well. I will add that the new CTRs will be built on dedicated SA receivers as well, not the standard T3 LA (again, per EuroOptics). Basically a light weight TRG in a synthetic T3 stock.

Silly Point.

People who buy the CTR are either using it for a high quality/cheaper paper puncher, a hunting gun, or for the donor action/barrel.

ANYONE who is going to shoot enough to NEED a bunch of mags, will be dropping this gun into a chassis. The chassis use AICS Mags.

You don't need a bunch of mags to shoot. In fact, most people would be fine with single loading for their shooting.

Your being silly. A used T3 is $500, a new barrel is $300, Smithwork is going to run atleast $300. So your over the cost of a new CTR, AND STILL HAVE TO BUY A CHASSIS/MAGS.

Please think before you post dumb shit like this.

Silly Point.

People who buy the CTR are either using it for a high quality/cheaper paper puncher, a hunting gun, or for the donor action/barrel.

ANYONE who is going to shoot enough to NEED a bunch of mags, will be dropping this gun into a chassis. The chassis use AICS Mags.

You don't need a bunch of mags to shoot. In fact, most people would be fine with single loading for their shooting.

Your being silly. A used T3 is $500, a new barrel is $300, Smithwork is going to run at least $300. So your over the cost of a new CTR, AND STILL HAVE TO BUY A CHASSIS/MAGS.

Please think before you post dumb shit like this.

Not sure I would call perspective silly, I'd choose to call it helpful. Opinions vary though. Your posts seem to show strong character as well for your fellow shooters.

I agree with the tikka CTR. I im in line with a deposit for a 308. For the money i think their is nothing out there that can beat it. I am impressed with the quality and features on these actions that come standard. I have spoke with a couple well respected smiths and there is no reason to spend a dime on having anything done to these actions down the road should it be rebarreled except changing out the bolt shroud should you choose to do. With the flat bottom, side bolt release and closed top receiver these are some solid stiff actions and you would have to spend a bunch of money and go custom to find these options that are standard. I would like to see someone offer some rings to fit the rail on top of the receiver that have a 20moa built into them. I am hoping Manners will come up with something so i can get a stock from them and drop it in their.

This is actually the first I've heard about the CTR. I had been thinking about the LTR too, but the Tikka looks very tempting.

Honestly you do not need to spend a dime on the trigger that is on it. I took the trigger off the action. The screw that you use to adjust pull weight can be filed down on the end where the allen wrench goes. I kept filing mine down a little at a time, then i would back it out to the bolt that holds the trigger housing to the action, that keeps it from being adjusted any lighter. I did that a few times and now i have a pull weight of 1 1/4 pound. The trigger cannot go any lighter due to the pull weight screw backed out to the bolt that holds the trigger housing to the action. Should you want a heavier pull then you just need to screw it in. You do not need to file it down much to achive this pull weight. All you need is a vice and a flat file and you will have 1 hell of a fine trigger without spending a penny. I have never had a problem with a safety issue.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone has seen a review of the CTR anywhere online? Preferably a real world user review, but I'll settle for a gun magazine type review too.

Just wondering if anyone has seen a review of the CTR anywhere online? Preferably a real world user review, but I'll settle for a gun magazine type review too.

It hasn't been released yet. Anything from a gun mag is worth less than shit paper. Its a tikka with similar specs to the sporter....preorder with confidence. This gun is a smoking deal sub $1K

Placed my deposit today, now the wait begins. Looking at the rifle there will be one thing to change. I want to be able to use an Atlas bipod on her so I will have to find a local gunsmith to add a rail section on the front. If anyone has suggestions in NE Florida I would appreciate it. I would hate to jack up a new piece like that trying to do it myself.

It hasn't been released yet. Anything from a gun mag is worth less than shit paper. Its a tikka with similar specs to the sporter....preorder with confidence. This gun is a smoking deal sub $1K

It would be a fantastic deal at $1000, but over here the RRP is closer to $2000 ($1911 at today's rates). I just heard back from the importer, and it won't be arriving in Denmark till the Autumn. On the bright side though, it'll give me time to figure out which of my other rifles to sell to make space in the cabinet....

Who is taking deposits? How long before they arrive? I have been going back & forth between rifles .I was thinking about a save pc 10 5R , Rem 700 sps aac. ,Rem milspec 5R. I've always liked the tikka tactical,but didnt want to pay that much.

Tikka is the only way to fly.

From newer T3s, to 695s and an old 30-06 model 65 (late 1960s rifle with a Bofors barrel), every tikka I own shoots better than I should expect for factory barrels.

Who is taking deposits? How long before they arrive? I have been going back & forth between rifles .I was thinking about a save pc 10 5R , Rem 700 sps aac. ,Rem milspec 5R. I've always liked the tikka tactical,but didnt want to pay that much.

EuroOptic is taking deposits. I talked to Trey at Interstateguns.com, a division of SportOptics, yesterday and they will be getting them as well. Don't forget to mention being a 'hide member.