• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curious about what would have happened

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    I picked up my first 5.56 AR back in December just prior to Newtown. I was immdiately hit by the ammo drought and a friend decided to help me out by giving me 120 rounds or so of some 5.56 he didnt need (first clue). Ive shot the stuff a few times and it gets so so accuracy but Ive been noticing neck splits and had two rounds set the bullet back and toss powder all into the rreech of the rifle.

The other day I had a round set back and I had to clean the chamber. I checked the barrel and noted a good bit of powder down the barrel. Stupidly I did not have my .22 bore snake in my bag so it ended my range day.

I seriously considered firing through the powder but on one of those rare occasions when I used sense instead of winging it I decided to call it a day and went home to clean the gun.

Anyone have any experience with this? Im thinking the bullet would have quashed down the powder and pigged the bore clean...or did I avoid an obstructed barrel and a possible kaboom?

Don't know .... but it sounds like something "Elfster" could get into for another epic thread with 2-300 pics.... an attendant poll.... and a designed experiment to check out every possible variable !

sorry...couldn't resist

The powder should just blow out .

Sounds like someone who is very new to reloading gave you his reloads and didn't tell you. Don't ever take reloads from someone. That's just a WAG, but I know for a fact that the powder will blow out.

I picked up my first 5.56 AR back in December just prior to Newtown. I was immdiately hit by the ammo drought and a friend decided to help me out by giving me 120 rounds or so of some 5.56 he didnt need (first clue). Ive shot the stuff a few times and it gets so so accuracy but Ive been noticing neck splits and had two rounds set the bullet back and toss powder all into the rreech of the rifle.

The other day I had a round set back and I had to clean the chamber. I checked the barrel and noted a good bit of powder down the barrel. Stupidly I did not have my .22 bore snake in my bag so it ended my range day.

I seriously considered firing through the powder but on one of those rare occasions when I used sense instead of winging it I decided to call it a day and went home to clean the gun.

Anyone have any experience with this? Im thinking the bullet would have quashed down the powder and pigged the bore clean...or did I avoid an obstructed barrel and a possible kaboom?

I would always assume the worst in that scenario. Anytime there's powder in and uncontrolled state caution should ensue IMO...

I would think he could crimp the rounds and that should solve the bullets getting shoved back into the case problem.

LOL, what a dick.... good stuff.

You are in detention, write on the chalkboard "I will not be an asshole" 100 times, and then go to lowlights office. Maybe even attend my class called "constructive input".

sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Don't know .... but it sounds like something "Elfster" could get into for another epic thread with 2-300 pics.... an attendant poll.... and a designed experiment to check out every possible variable !

sorry...couldn't resist

I've had this happen before on the line with a student's rifle, and it failed to chamber the next round. I tried to get my Bic lighter in there to burn it out on the line, but to no avail. The flame wouldn't reach in there far enough. The only thing that solved the issue was a punch rod and patches, along with a lot of AP brush work in the barrel extension area as well.

Ive never crimped my 5.56 rounds and have never had this issue = reason why i dont take reloads from other people if this was the case...... Most likely due to reloads and lack of possible neck tension or improper bullet seating. As for the powder just blow it out with an airhose and check it out with a flash light. Run a snake or rod and call it a day.

You know you are my buddy Elfster1234 but this shit was funny ..
    =)... as i was reading it i was really thinking i bet Elfster could help this guy then the next post was this shit and i almost spit my drink out =)

sorry...couldn't resist

Yeah, it was pretty good..

You know you are my buddy Elfster1234 but this shit was funny ..
    =)... as i was reading it i was really thinking i bet Elfster could help this guy then the next post was this shit and i almost spit my drink out =)

sorry...couldn't resist

They look to be reloads. The crimped primer has been reamed out and the neck is strange. There are striations along the neck from whatever type of crimp die was used after seating the bullets. I think I have 50 or so of these things left. It will be test of my Scottish cheapness to decide whether I dump them or just say screw it and fire the last of them.

I dont know if my pal even realizes they were reloads and Im certainly not going to say anything after getting them free. Ill probably check with him to see if he has any left and just warn him.

I hadnt thought of the lighter idea, thats a good one. I threw my boresnake in the range bag when I got home so I dont get shut down again.

Thanks to all for your time.

Elf I'll be looking forward to the multi picture post concernng this. Will it be before or after the "Correct manner to Wipe" thread?

No pics here, but if it is a neck tension issue then i would not fire them especially if they are reloads you got from someone else. god knows, they could be way overloaded with powder! Test one of the rounds by either trying to pull the bullet out by hand or press the tip of the bullet onto a hard surface. If the bullet moves then you got a big time issue and for sure would not fire these rounds in a semi auoto... Hell, i wouldnt fire them anyway if youre already having issues. A bullet jammed back into the brass past the shoulder could result in some serious issues when fired.

They look to be reloads. The crimped primer has been reamed out and the neck is strange. There are striations along the neck from whatever type of crimp die was used after seating the bullets. I think I have 50 or so of these things left. It will be test of my Scottish cheapness to decide whether I dump them or just say screw it and fire the last of them.

I dont know if my pal even realizes they were reloads and Im certainly not going to say anything after getting them free. Ill probably check with him to see if he has any left and just warn him.

I hadnt thought of the lighter idea, thats a good one. I threw my boresnake in the range bag when I got home so I dont get shut down again.

Thanks to all for your time.

Elf I'll be looking forward to the multi picture post concernng this. Will it be before or after the "Correct manner to Wipe" thread?