• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Current Belgian scope, or other post reticles?

Thjoth

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Hey all, a friend of mine told me to ask this here.

When he was doing some sniper training in Germany, my friend had some joint training with some Belgian snipers. He got to shoot one of the Belgians' Accuracy International .338 Lapua rifles, which had a scope with a post reticle. I really like post reticles, and for some reason I shoot a lot faster and a lot more accurately with them than I do with a normal mildot scope, so I'm trying pretty hard to find this mystery Belgian scope. My friend thinks it was made by either Hensoldt or Schmidt und Bender, and it was a fixed 6 power. If anyone knows what scope that is or where to get one, I would appreciate it greatly.

Failing that, does anyone else know of a really good precision rifle scope with a post reticle? Preferably with some method of range estimation built into the reticle? The rifle that it is going to be put on is going to be chambered in either .300 WSM, .300 Win Mag, or .338 Lapua, I haven't decided which yet.

Re: Current Belgian scope, or other post reticles?

Apparently it worked, because they were shooting 900m targets during their day training together.

Honestly, I just want a good post reticle in general that have the ability of range estimation built into them.

I've seen scopes like that before on foreign rifles but those were old ones not current rifles. Maybe some sort of night vision scope also for use in daytime?

Check out the Nightforce NP-1RR its not a true post but it might be close enough to make you happy and nightforce make great products.

I would look to the European manufacturers. I think Leopold had an option at one time, but would probably have to special order it today. The picket-post reticle is great on a low powered scope. The reticle is very easy to discern in the trees and bushes. It can be very precise (depending on how pointed the post is). It was the reticle of choice for sniping during the World Wars. Trijicon may offer something and the Russians are big on post reticle too.

Good luck!

I think Kahles and Swarovski used to make fixed 6x and 10x scopes with a semi-post reticule. I've seen one that was a crosshair with an extra thick vertical line and windage holds maybe that was what you are talking about. Good luck finding one though I don't believe they make them any more.

edit: maybe kahles ZF type?

438943.jpg

Oh, very nice. I like the Kahles ZF the best as it's almost exactly what I was looking for. That Nightforce isn't bad either, though. Figures the Kahles isn't being made anymore, that's about how my luck tends to run.

Is there any optic manufacturer that would just put a custom reticle on one of their scopes for me? I think the Leupold custom shop just allows you to use one of their existing reticles. Maybe I should email them about that and see...

Also, you guys are awesome for hunting those options down. I'd been trying to search for something like that for days. I feel like an idiot for being so insistent on this ridiculously esoteric reticle setup, but it's really the one I'm most confident with when shooting for precision. I don't even know how it worked out that way, because I grew up using crosshairs, but there you go.

Tha kahles scope pictured above is a ZF95, it was available with several different reticles. The "95" in its code meant is was made in 1995. There also was a ZF84 that had that posted reticle but it is more rare then the ZF95.

The ZF 95 can be had used. I've seen a few go for around $700-$800 in decent condition. Some of them were produced with 26mm tubes, the rest with 1" tubes.

Swarovski's version was the ZFM, basically the same scope but i am not sure if it had the same reticle.

Most common reticles to both the ZF84 & ZF95 were a standard german post, some with horizontal lines connecting to the post & some w/o the horizontal lines

If you buy a zf95 or 84 off ebay be careful a lot of the ones people are selling are actually not Kahles but companies that built them under contract for various militaries. They are not covered by Kahles warranty and if/when they break you are 100% screwed.

Since the ZF84's were military scopes, there is no warranty on them other than the original 10 years, at least that is what kahles told me several years ago. I called them before the current US based people existed. I had to put this disclaimer in since i've read that the current people are great to deal with. I can't say the same for the ZF95 since i didn't ask.

BCP is correct about the contract scopes, some are listed Photonic/kahles, these are some of the fakes listed.

A real kahles should have the serial number on it, made in Austria & the ZFXX 6x42 or 10x42 on the top.

Swarovski ones said swarovski on the top, along with ZFM 6x42