• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Current Best Value Optics Around $1k

vinniedelpino

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Charlotte NC
    I've done a fair amount of research, but with new gear coming out all the time I have to ask.... I've all but narrowed it down to:

New:
    Bushnell LRTS (On clearance at cameraland now for $750)
    Steiner P4xi

Used:
    SWFA HD
    First Gen Tract
    Ares ETR
    Sig Tango 6

I'm keep going back and forth and I'm a sucker for instant gratification. What would you guys do? Pull the trigger on the bushy? The FDE color is a little wonky, but if it's the best option I don't care. I think the first gen tract 4-20 is probably the best option, but I don't know if one's going to hit the PX anytime soon.

Priorities (in order)
    1. Tracking
    2. Glass
    3. Magnification

Ammo is expensive and components are getting harder to come by. I'm not competing and I take my time at the range, so the bells and whistles that appeal to the PRS guys here don't mean much to me. I don't even care about a zero stop much less the electronic level built into the sig. Shots will range from <100 to 1000 yards, though I'm thinking of joining a range with shooting out to a mile. I'll be mostly dialing elevation and holding windage, so christmas tree reticles would be nice, but aren't a priority. I hate these threads, but I just can't help myself.

If it were me, I'd probably add Vortex PST Gen 2 (New) and Vortex Razor Gen 1 (Used) to the list. IMO the SWFA 5-20s do still have good glass for their (used) price range, but thats about where it stops for me. I had two of them a couple years ago and while the glass is nice, better (More feature rich) options have hit the market in the past several years. The SWFA needs an update.

Haven't looked through one myself, but Brownell's MPO is getting pretty good reviews in the @ 1K price category.

I've done a fair amount of research, but with new gear coming out all the time I have to ask.... I've all but narrowed it down to:

New:
    Bushnell LRTS (On clearance at cameraland now for $750)
    Steiner P4xi

Used:
    SWFA HD
    First Gen Tract
    Ares ETR
    Sig Tango 6

I'm keep going back and forth and I'm a sucker for instant gratification. What would you guys do? Pull the trigger on the bushy? The FDE color is a little wonky, but if it's the best option I don't care. I think the first gen tract 4-20 is probably the best option, but I don't know if one's going to hit the PX anytime soon.

Priorities (in order)
    1. Tracking
    2. Glass
    3. Magnification

Ammo is expensive and components are getting harder to come by. I'm not competing and I take my time at the range, so the bells and whistles that appeal to the PRS guys here don't mean much to me. I don't even care about a zero stop much less the electronic level built into the sig. Shots will range from <100 to 1000 yards, though I'm thinking of joining a range with shooting out to a mile. I'll be mostly dialing elevation and holding windage, so christmas tree reticles would be nice, but aren't a priority. I hate these threads, but I just can't help myself.

Doug. Cameraland. Be there. Aloha. U can get Ares new for 800.

I find myself in much the same situation. I have a PST G2 that honestly, I am not impressed with. Shooting over the weekend the resolution at 800 yards was not where I want it to be. And the controls are just stupid stiff. My Tract ELR was worlds better, but yeah...it costs a lot more as well. Hoping to find something that meets in the middle.

Based on your list, my vote is for the Athlon ETR. Give Doug at cameralandny.com a call and see if you can work out a deal with him to get you closer to your budget.

Reactions: army_eod
    LRTS, or a used Sig Tango 6 if you can still find one at 1k. Top two on the list at 1k IMO.

If it were me, I'd probably add Vortex PST Gen 2 (New) and Vortex Razor Gen 1 (Used) to the list. IMO the SWFA 5-20s do still have good glass for their (used) price range, but thats about where it stops for me. I had two of them a couple years ago and while the glass is nice, better (More feature rich) options have hit the market in the past several years. The SWFA needs an update.

I mulled around the idea of a gen 1 razor. I don't see too many come up used anymore though. I'm ok with SWFA reticle and lack of a zero stop. My primary concern was tracking and glass.

I never looked back after selling my Gen 1 when the LRHS first came out. Its just an old design and there is not much the scopes on your list don't do better.

I'm a little vain in that the LRTS is that offshoot fde color. That's the only reason it's not in my shopping cart right now.

Black pop up pretty often here. I just sold an LRHS about a month ago, and another LRTSi in black a few months before that. The Tango 6 is just as sweet of deal if you can find them at 1k. There is a lot of good stuff sub 1k. A lot of better stuff 1k plus.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
    Black pop up pretty often here. I just sold an LRHS about a month ago, and another LRTSi in black a few months before that. The Tango 6 is just as sweet of deal if you can find them at 1k. There is a lot of good stuff sub 1k. A lot of better stuff 1k plus.

I'll hold out a little longer and see what pops up. Thanks for the advice.

Bump up $200 and get a used Athlon Cronus BTR. A vendor on here recently was selling for around $1300 new

I’ve used both the Ares ETR and Cronus BTR and the Cronus is worth the upgrade in glass. Plus it’s made at LOW in Japan vs China with the Ares

Bushy XRS II Midwayusa deal is legit...............

Better than Cronus BTR...............FYI, and I have two Cronus BTR's directly compared.

Needless to say, I used my first Bushnell deal $200 gift card to purchase a second Flat Dark Earth XRS II............making it $1100, however in reality after using the other $200 gift card, I see it as $900.

I had the same dilemma. I decided I could deal with less features in exchange for better glass and went with a used swfa 5-20. I have been using the reticle with my other rifles and it suites me well. I've compared the glass of my buddies swfa 5-20 with tons of other scopes and its beats out all the other optics in my price range. I suggest going to a match....usually people are pretty cool with letting you get behind different scopes and really look through your options.