• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Current Military sleeping bags

SturmHead

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2008
Ky
I'm looking for a sleeping bag and I've noticed the 4 piece modular military bags hitting the surplus market. I was wondering how good they are and your thoughts about them. I'm familiar with the old down/feather military mummy bags, and while they are warm, they have some faults.
Any information, experience, and opinions about about the modular system would be appreciated.

Re: Current Military sleeping bags

The BDU Woodland style I've used at Ft Drum NY in January. The GORTEX bivy is great when compared to the old cotton green once its wet your cold Army issue I used for years.

They are warm I'm just not a big fan of the layers I always eem to get "tangled" in the bags

If you can find a good condition one I'd grab it up if for nothing else it will keep you dry and that's half the battle to a good sleep in the bush

I'd get one.

I bought a bivy sack in 2003 and my unit got them issued in 2004. The black bag and the shell will give you a comfortable sleep up north all summer long.

I've slept in pouring rain without getting wet. They are an excellent solution to going to bed after dark- just throw a poncho on your pack, pull the bivy bag and chuck your rifle in your sleeping bag. I'd throw my boots down by my feet so in the morning they wouldn't be freezing cold.

The only thing to know about them is to zip the cover shut and shake off water before storage. Unzipped one time and stored wet, the liner will be wet the rest of the time in the field and that sucks. Unlike the down, they aren't really warm when wet IMO.

In the winter, you need a pad or some type of construction to keep your body off the ground and the rest of the bags for warmth (and they don't pack very well). The extreme cold was the worst area of performance for the bivy bag IMO. The face part doesn't seem to close as tight as the old down bags. It reduces efficiency substantially. And if you breath in the bag to heat it up, the damp seems to reduce the efficiency of the fill.

Ditto the + comments on the Goretex bivy. I picked one up here on the board and it has been great. One of these used is about the cheapest way to get a Goretex bivy that you can layer almost any sleep system under.

the full 5 piece sleep system is the most badass fart sack available at a decent commercial price. it has two different size compression sacks and three bag layers. i have used this system in afg at lows of around zero deg, all i was wearing inside was silk weight skivvies and a fleece beenie, i was snug as a bug!

I still sleep in mine every now and then. On the bed. Wife doesn't understand it, but I love those damn things. Have 3, 1 woodland 2 ACU.

I love the ECWS, but even just adding the goretex bivy to your existing bag can be a blessing. You can get complete systems and the various components on ebay for pretty good prices if you're patient (or lucky).

Just make sure that you get the real deal by Tennier Industries, there is some "mil spec" fake out there that is hawked by places like Major's, or at least used to be. It is NOT rated to extreme cold like the real ones.

I have one of the old down mod 3's... it's a heavy, bulky bastard but damn is it warm. That plus a replacement new ECWS bivy will keep you dry and roasting even in the dead of winter. I've never been able to stand zipping it when inside any kind of shelter even without the goretex sack. To be clear, you have to add a bivy, this system did NOT come with the goretex sack (it predates that).

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one of these systems.
Just wondering, what is the issue tent for our troopers now? I'm not looking for one, but with some of the comments, I was wondering if they had improved, over the old half shelters.

what? you have the same half-shelter we have in austria? a piece of cloth with buttons? two men button-up their two halfs and you get something that is at most large enough for 2 men of 1.6m, 50kg and no backpack at all? had my share of nights in the snow with those ... nothing i would recommend. i bivy would have been tons better but we didn't get any

we have not used the half shelter for some time, IIRC. Though maybe they still make grunts suffer with them in basic? lol.

Eureka makes the USMC's combat tents no I think, though some on the surp market are from diamond industries. I don't know what big army uses, probably something similar. There are both 3-season and arctic versions.

you can find both the ECWS and combat tents on ebay frequently, keep looking!

well. in my area we usually go for a full tent, but i would be inclined to exchange that for a proper bivy (which is fine when going out with friends) or an exped scout tarp (http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf) - when the girls are around.

however ... with a tarp, i guess you get all the biting insects into the tarp
frown.gif
- any recommendations/experience in that field by some of you guys?

"spoonin spoonin, it's the ultimate warm, when your fartsack is stolen and your woobie is torn"

I've humped my woobie more than my wife, just sayin

I'm currently stationed in Alaska and we have to be in our bags four 4 hours in -20 degree weather every year. In my opinion it works great. Just make sure you strip down and sleep with your cloths inside your bag to keep them somewhat warm.

A little trick we have been taught, since you cant get out of your bag four 4 hours without starting your time over, is to pee in a bottle and use to it warm your hands and feet. Sounds gross now, but when your little piggies are cold you will wish you had a bottle to pee in.

I been using a Marmot brand Pinnacle model mummy bag for just over 2 years now. It's been a good bag. It is, however, a goose down bag. The shells on these newer bags go a long way for one to justify a synthetc fill bag. Down bags compact quite a bit smaller when using a compression sack and are considerable lighter than the synthetics. They're also warmer for their fill weight. This bag weighs 2 lbs. 12 oz., is a 3 season bag, and rated to 15 degrees F. With an optional slik liner or wearing some clothes it is good to 0 degrees F. or less.

What is a "good" price for full system?

How hard is it to dry out one of the new bags if it gets wet? I know down is warmer and lighter, but if it gets wet it looses almost all insulation value and takes forever to dry. I was wondering if anyone has experience trying to dry out one of these bags in the field after it or part of it got wet.

Re: Current Military sleeping bags (Drying bags)

All current military ISSUE bags (not SF gear) are filled with synthetic insulation. Formerly continuous filament Polarguard was used. Now the better, more compressable and warmer Climashield is beginning to be used.

BUT... all synthetic fills do lose loft (thickness) after many compression cycles. Climashield resists loss of loft better than most. Personally I would avoid Primaloft fill for its more rapid loss of loft.

Upon waking dress and lay your fully opened bag on your shelter roof while you eat breakfast (if thre's time, of course). It will lose at least some of your accumulated body moisture. When packing STUFF the bag foot first into its stuff sack. <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> NEVER ROLL A SLEEPING BAG> <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> Rolling a sleeping bag always, but always, inevitably pulls the insulation to the foot.

The other option in sub-zero weathr is to use a VBL (Vapor Barrier Lining) bag inside your sleeping bag. You MUST wear thin polyester or polypropelene long johns to avoid feeling clammy. The VBL will keep your bag dry.

**** Long term winter camping <span style="font-style: italic">without</span> a VBL results in the bag gradually gaining weight until it weighs sevral pounds (yes) more than when dry.
The old British Scott fatal expedition to the South Pole resulted in down sleeping "robes" (bags) so filled with accumulated moisture that they could not be stuffed but had to be laid flat on the sledges. Men took an hour to wiggle into them and were not warm enough as the frozen body moisture in the bags compromised the insulation.

Is there anyplace to purchase these online?

Not a horrible setup, just bulky and not as warm as down and like Beast said the layers get twisted inside each other. Kind of a pain in the ass. The shells are great though. Definitely need an ISO mat if it's too cold.
We had tent halves when I went through boot camp in 04 haha

theres a few brand new 5 peice bags on Ebay, $250. Just bought one, less than 1/2 of the price US Calvary selling them for. great bit of kit !

Never fully zip a bivy closed, has and can lead to high co inside the sack. Always leave an opening around the nose. Roll the zipper towards the ground to shield from the blow. Goretex is a poor barrier for shelters, not enough pressure difference to push moisture through the G-tex barrier. Using a ball cap inside a bivy will keep the fabric off the face. I sewed in a piece of flex around the face that I can bend to keep the fabric off my face.

I had a custom one piece suite made by WildThings that the legs would ziper together making a bivy sack, pull my arms inside around my core and I survived into the single digits. I also had WT stitch up my Andinista pack with an extra long extension so I could get inside the pack and sug the extension around my neck for a bivy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well. in my area we usually go for a full tent, but i would be inclined to exchange that for a proper bivy (which is fine when going out with friends) or an exped scout tarp (http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf) - when the girls are around.

however ... with a tarp, i guess you get all the biting insects into the tarp
frown.gif
- any recommendations/experience in that field by some of you guys? </div></div>

I have spent more time in a bivy than probably any 3 users here combined. They are not all they are suppose to be. No way to change clothes, dry out, make some hot (cook and boil water) in a bivy. In bug country, bivy is a real chore to stay tucked in for any length of time. Using a tarp with a sack just adds weight so why not use a small bivy tent like the Black Diamond FirstLight, for two it is lighter than 2 bivy sacks with full protection and room. I have used this tent as a bivy for two (sans the poles just wrap up in the tent. For a tarp tent, my main shelter in Alaska was the Integral Designs SilShelter at just under 1# with room for 2, more in a pinch. This shelter we erected over bolt holes in the snow, tree holes, wrapped up in a blow and or course used it as a normal tent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little trick we have been taught, since you cant get out of your bag four 4 hours without starting your time over, is to pee in a bottle and use to it warm your hands and feet. Sounds gross now, but when your little piggies are cold you will wish you had a bottle to pee in.</div></div>

I will go one better. Use a piece of garden hose or tube that your penis will fit inside. Your pee bottle should be a difference design (mine was square and collapsible Vs round for water), place the hose through the zipper of your bivy and/or sleeping bag and pee in the bottle while still warm and snug. Now place the bottle around your feet. When I needed to hydrate, grab the round bottle is easy distinguishable from the square pee bottle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frederick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I been using a Marmot brand Pinnacle model mummy bag for just over 2 years now. It's been a good bag. It is, however, a goose down bag. The shells on these newer bags go a long way for one to justify a synthetc fill bag. Down bags compact quite a bit smaller when using a compression sack and are considerable lighter than the synthetics. They're also warmer for their fill weight. This bag weighs 2 lbs. 12 oz., is a 3 season bag, and rated to 15 degrees F. With an optional slik liner or wearing some clothes it is good to 0 degrees F. or less.</div></div>

Yes and no. Primaloft 1 in if fact has a higher R value than down in the test tube. The problem is, Primaloft requires a scrim to secure the fibers. My Integral Designs Primaloft bag is on par with a down bag in temp rating and weight (not comparing to the new superlight shelled down bags). What makes down so good is, it drapes around the body as you lay decreasing dead air space for the body to heat up. Synth are stiffer and do not drape around the body having more and larger dead air space. For clothing this is not important as the body is always in motion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How hard is it to dry out one of the new bags if it gets wet? I know down is warmer and lighter, but if it gets wet it looses almost all insulation value and takes forever to dry. I was wondering if anyone has experience trying to dry out one of these bags in the field after it or part of it got wet.</div></div>

Yes I have the t shirt. 1989 I was on an alpine climb, I had a brand new Feathered Friends down bag with gore-tex shell. Weather was superb as we left base camp but like all mountain weather, this turned real Alaskan quick with high winds. We dug into bolt holes up next to the rocks to get out of the wind but we did not bring any shelter and at the time we did not have packs large enough to get inside from the weather. The wind turned to snain, heavy snain. The next day when the weather finally broke, I was laying in a pool a water in my bolt hole, my down sleeping bag was so full of water and heavy, I actually thought the seams were going to rip trying to stuff it. Water actually dripped out. I shivered all night wasting many calories and warmth, just terrible. Up we went and 16 hours later after carrying that super heavy soaked bag, we got back to base. Very tired I crawled in a very wet and cold bag. I wore all my clothes that I had on to stay warm and protect from the wet. I laid my bag on top of the tent all day waiting to leave and after 3 days my bag was still wet like it just came out for a washing machine. Back home it took 6 days hanging to dry. I have only used down once since and I would not allow down of any sort in my clothing list when I guided.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BUT... all synthetic fills do lose loft (thickness) after many compression cycles. Climashield resists loss of loft better than most. Personally I would avoid Primaloft fill for its more rapid loss of loft.

Upon waking dress and lay your fully opened bag on your shelter roof while you eat breakfast (if thre's time, of course). It will lose at least some of your accumulated body moisture. When packing STUFF the bag foot first into its stuff sack. NEVER ROLL A SLEEPING BAG> Rolling a sleeping bag always, but always, inevitably pulls the insulation to the foot.

The other option in sub-zero weathr is to use a VBL (Vapor Barrier Lining) bag inside your sleeping bag. You MUST wear thin polyester or polypropelene long johns to avoid feeling clammy. The VBL will keep your bag dry.

**** Long term winter camping without a VBL results in the bag gradually gaining weight until it weighs sevral pounds (yes) more than when dry. </div></div>

I disagree, Primaloft is some of the longest lasting syth there is. I have ID Renaissance from 1997 filled with Prime 1 and I can still use it 10 degress temps that it is rated. I cannot guess at how many nights in the field it has but I do know that during that time period I spent 3-4 days a week in the backcountry of Alaska. Primaloft 1 requires a scrim, Primaloft Sport is very long lasting but does not have the R value of Prim 1. I had a TNF Snowshoe bag from 1982 or so that I kept stuffed and used it a lot, then my boys used it and staying warm in temps close to single digits. After 15 years it fell apart and I would still use it, really did not lose much.

Yes but the best way to care for your sleeping bag in the field is, as soon as you get out of your bag, turn it inside out and squeeze it like you are stuffing it. This will push all the warm moist air out through the highly breathable inner lining. Depending on the air temp, waiting any time at all will allow the warm moist air to either freeze but it will condense in the fibers, laying your bag in the sun is good but first expel as much warm moist air out by squeezing it before it has time to freeze / condense in the fibers.

I have never seen a quality sleeping bag clump all the insulation in the foot area. Down bags have baffles so the down cannot go anywhere but inside the baffle, they run around the body not length wise, some are trapezoidal, square, V, ect. Synth fibers are fastened so they cannot migrate either. Rolling means the same creases / folds in the fill and fabric that adds undue wear. Stuffing is always different creases.

Those days are over and we all know more now. VBL are not what said to be, cold and clammy feeling even wearing clothes. Yes moisture does collect but see how to minimize it above by squeezing it out first. WP shells like Gore-Tex and all barriers will not allow body moisture to escape due to there is not enough pressure difference to push the moisture through the barrier, so it collects and freezes. Either use a microfiber or open weave shell that will allow the body to push most of the moisture out. I prefer to dry my clothes out while sleeping by using a Primaloft sleeping bag with an open weave shell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have spent more time in a bivy than probably any 3 users here combined. They are not all they are suppose to be. No way to change clothes, dry out, make some hot (cook and boil water) in a bivy. In bug country, bivy is a real chore to stay tucked in for any length of time. Using a tarp with a sack just adds weight so why not use a small bivy tent like the Black Diamond FirstLight, for two it is lighter than 2 bivy sacks with full protection and room. I have used this tent as a bivy for two (sans the poles just wrap up in the tent. For a tarp tent, my main shelter in Alaska was the Integral Designs SilShelter at just under 1# with room for 2, more in a pinch. This shelter we erected over bolt holes in the snow, tree holes, wrapped up in a blow and or course used it as a normal tent.
</div></div>

after reading your post and checking www.backpackinglight.com (a site that has been mentioned in another thread) i'm currently leaning towards some light tend such as the tarptent stratospire 2 ... reusing your walking poles for tent poles does make sense. and this tend really seems to be very small for the size that you get at the end.

This is at the top of my list for use, one of the pieces I never left home without.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=729

Many many times it saved me. Just find any pocket in the terrain, big rock or dig a quick bolt hole in the snow, get into the pocket or hole and cover up with the SilShelter. Sit on the edges on the SilShelter to secure if down in wind. Brew some hot out of the blow.

As a tent, worked superb too. Ski poles or clip the apex to tree, rock, ice, whatever. During wind, I used skis, axes, pickets, whatever to secure it down and then move some snow along the edge so wind does not get in or just dig a trench in the snow inside the shelter and the wind will blow over you but snow / rain will not. Even in bugs I did not have much of an issue.

I refuse to use army sleeping gear or shelters. I'm lazy and I like to travel light.

EXTREMELY LIGHT.

I will only use down. I still have my Northface from when I was in the guard. Spent many night in -60 to -70 in comfort. I also use a light weight "one man" tent. The kind that doesn't need pegs. Hard to get pegs to stay in when you're setting on 4 foot of snow. It wont blow away if you're in it.

Even with the "fly" your tent and sleeping bag shouldn't weight more the 15 pounds combined. MSR stove, cantine cup, a couple candles, dry socks, a couple small rocks, etc etc.

If my ruck weights more then 30 lbs I'm throwing something away and I can stay out a long time with only 30 lbs of gear.

Got to REI and spend the money, if you spend any time outside in the winter it would be well worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
EXTREMELY LIGHT.
</div></div>

so what tent/tarp/whatever do you use/recommend?

Got to the REI website. Find a light "1" man tent. Don't worry about the codes telling you the temp range.

All you need to do is keep the wind off. You want one that you can put up with out using pegs. It should have a rain fly also. Not so important in the winter but is in the summer. You want a material that breaths.

If the tent weights more then 7 pounds find anothers.

The smaller the tent the warmer you'll be. Get a small size C-rat can and some candles. Just before you hit the rack carefully put the can with the candle in the tent to take the chill off. But remove the candle before you crawl in to keep from knocking it over. After you get in the sleeping bag you can bring the candle back in to warm up the tent a bit more.

Then when you wake up, again light the candle to warm up the tent before you crawl out of your bag to get dressed.

After you clear out all your gear from the tent, before you pack it up, put the candle back in for a while. It'll suck up most of the moisture.

It was nothing for use to take a 100 mile or so ski trips, every ounce you cut out will be appricated by your shoulders and legs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
EXTREMELY LIGHT.
</div></div>

so what tent/tarp/whatever do you use/recommend? </div></div>

I tested this tent in windy cold wet Alaska and its the "tent" I used last few years guiding. I used a Bible I tent and Eldo for many years before this tent.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/firstlight-tent

I never needed a double walled tent, I prefer single wall tents as they breath better and much lighter and way easier to erect. With bivy tents like the Bibler's, the tent is erected with the poles on the inside. In a blow, client and I would pull the tent out and get inside with all kit, erect it out of the wind. Hang the stove for some hot and then build up camp if needed. No threading of poles through sleeves or clipping poles or out in the blow burning up calories; stick a pole in the corner, push the other end of the pole until in its corner. All in less than a minute.

My I tent with me outside looking real large, hard and in charge guiding in Alaska.
ak_ice2_gal13.jpg

My client on right and me sitting it out in -20f with I tent. A unique Alaska phenomenon here, ski up another half mile where the river takes an S turn and temp goes from -20 to -40, cold sink in the canyon. Some of the most miserable camping I ever did is back in this canyon.
ak_ice_caribou_gal4.jpg

Me enjoying life after 18 mile ski into the backcounty guiding.
ak_ice_omalley_gal6.jpg

In the Alaska Range April 98, -15f and in the back ground over my left shoulder is a tarp tent being used.
Camp00.jpg

They're ok. Heavy, pretty durable and if you get a surplus one some private probably stored it in its stuff sack. YMMV.

Used the on the marine corps issues the black and green 3 piece system with the bivy really nice but takes up space. I've also used the snugpak jungle bag down to freezing with a bivy a silk liner and a heated water bottle works and will keep you alive but you won't be happy.

For reference I'm 5' 10" 195 and the snugpak jungle bag is tiny as hell I feel like I'm going to rip out the sides of it. But I got mine for $35 and its the size of a softball.

EWCS is a good system, bulky but light. If you have transpo, not a bad gig.