• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors current rimfire options

fifdynutz

Pasture Poodle
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Iowa
Hey guys, im looking into getting a can for my .17hmr fur gun as well as a 10/22 i have. I have been waiting for a certain .30cal can to come in stock so i can get them both at the same time. unfortunately the .30 is now in stock and the dead air mask HD i was planning on getting is not, as well as my 2nd choice ruger sr, and my 3rd choice sico sparrow...

what i have available now is these options
YHM stinger
CGS hydra-ss
AAC halcyon
Bower us 22

are any of these going to be comparable to what i was originally wanting? or is it worth the wait for the dead air unit to come back in stock? no first round pop is somewhat important as i will use it for hunting as well as target shooting.

The Mask is a good choice. If it's not in stock, then I would just avoid anything with aluminum in them.

I have a bunch and my personal favorite that I have in possession is the Rugged Oculus. Not sure if that one is available to you or not, but it's been great. It's actually the most repeatable shot to shot of all the rimfire cans I have. It's also very easy to clean and build quality is very high.

Obviously, this being Snipers Hide, you will get the obligatory recommendations for the TBAC TD22, and it's also a very good can.

If I was going to go with a SiCo rimfire can I would get the Spectre 2 instead of the Sparrow if first round pop is a concern.

I also have a Griffin Armament Optimus Micro. It's heavy for a rimfire can, but it's hell built for stout and can also be used on centerfire 22 rounds up to 22-250 with a 22" barrel. Mine spends most if it's time on my 223 porch rifle. It's very quiet on a 20" barrel 223. I was pretty surprised with that. I expected to be disappointed, but I really don't hear much difference between it and say, my Omega.

Anyway, it's hard to go wrong with any of the current top of the line options. Unless you go with something with aluminum in it. Then you'll hate yourself later trying to figure out how to clean it, without dissolving it.

Is aluminum on just the body something to be concerned with?

Aluminum on the body or tube could probably be mitigated more easily than the baffles or a mono-core, but I'd still look somewhere else.

There's just too many options that don't use aluminum for me to pick one does. If we lived in a place where buying a can wasn't so much of a lifetime purchase, I'd be a lot more interested in something lighter and aluminum for rimfire, but the reality we live in is that once you own it, it's basically yours forever and being rimfire, if it's not reasonable to clean, you won't use it and then it's just a waste.

dead air mask is in stock at hansohn brothers, their 10% off can help with local dealers transfer fee.

Look at the Liberty Regulator. Rated for 5.7FN, cheap, super quiet, almost no FRP, light, takedown, all of what, 3 parts? Monocore and 1cc water makes it nearly silent. Had to take to using it on the PPK/S because the host is the loudest part of the system. May be as quiet as my integral 10/22 with the 12" core. And for $300, fuck it, why not? Liberty isn't who I'd recommend for centerfire mind you, they cater to hunters, but they found the secret sauce with the .22 shit.

Won't be a BOGO sale this year, so I wouldn't wait on that. This is coming from them. Capitol is still a good place to go through though, fast on the Form 3's.

The Mask is a good choice. If it's not in stock, then I would just avoid anything with aluminum in them.

I have a bunch and my personal favorite that I have in possession is the Rugged Oculus. Not sure if that one is available to you or not, but it's been great. It's actually the most repeatable shot to shot of all the rimfire cans I have. It's also very easy to clean and build quality is very high.

Obviously, this being Snipers Hide, you will get the obligatory recommendations for the TBAC TD22, and it's also a very good can.

If I was going to go with a SiCo rimfire can I would get the Spectre 2 instead of the Sparrow if first round pop is a concern.

I also have a Griffin Armament Optimus Micro. It's heavy for a rimfire can, but it's hell built for stout and can also be used on centerfire 22 rounds up to 22-250 with a 22" barrel. Mine spends most if it's time on my 223 porch rifle. It's very quiet on a 20" barrel 223. I was pretty surprised with that. I expected to be disappointed, but I really don't hear much difference between it and say, my Omega.

Anyway, it's hard to go wrong with any of the current top of the line options. Unless you go with something with aluminum in it. Then you'll hate yourself later trying to figure out how to clean it, without dissolving it.

I am the same. I have an Optimus Micro and rather recently I put a Rugged Occulus in jail.

Definitely +1 on the no aluminum baffles thing. I am sure there are tens of thousands of aluminum baffle owners out there that are more than happy but having some other material on the baffles makes cleaning substantially easier. If somebody wants to put their suppressor in a solution for a few days or hand scrub the baffles every 500 or so rounds that's one thing, but with stainless just put them in a wet tumbler with the SS media and go watch some TV or head off to mow the lawn.

I definitely like my suppressors to be over built. This is however personal preference.

For me the weight of a .22 can is really a non issue. I shoot my OPM on pistols and rifles both. On a rifle an extra little bit of weight (to me) is not even noticeable. If we were talking about a physically larger suppressor it easily could make a difference but on a .22 rifle it's not bad at all in my opinion. On a pistol though it's a bit more noticeable but it's still not that bad.

I guess everybody has priorities that they like better. Me, I value stuff that is solid and easy to service (ie clean). If I have to put up with a relatively tiny bit of extra weight then so be it.

i don’t know if you want to go this route or not but i did a form 1 on the xrt tactical kit and it is stupid quiet on my 10/22 and tikka t1x with standard velocity ammo. it also knocks the sound way down on my t1x in 17hmr. and i have almost no poi shift with the can on or off.

I currently own a CGS Hydra in AL. Love it only wish it the SS version.

Good to hear this again. I just ordered my first .22lr, a CGS hydra in SS.

I wanted to get a TBAC as first choice, but Silencershop didn't have em in stock last month, so went with second choice of CGS.

Last edited:
I have five rimfire cans. Of your choices the Mask is the nicest one for sure. I have a Halcyon also and it is nearly as quiet and easy to clean. The Halcyon is modular and can be configured in a short or long configuration. My Halcyon "loosens" up and requires occasional tightening down of the components when shooting on a semi pistol, but it is an excellent can.

Rugged Oculus here... very impressed so far and best of all no POI shift... tested two different range sessions and elevation and wind were identical at 100 at 1” steel target, with and without can.

Why would anyone want that system? Those threads are going to be completely caked in carbon and a total pain to clean. Being able to "tune" your can to each caliber seems like a real gimmick, too.

"ID Threads act as an effective turbulator that reduces energy from the blast." - Until they fill with carbon.
"No unnecessary Baffle spacers or baffle extensions taking up valuable internal volume." - So instead they fill that space with threads:

1595645358005.png

Also, its made out of aluminum. No thanks. I'll stick to a full-auto 5.7x28 rated stainless/titanium rig.

Last edited:
For a dedicated 22LR can I really like it. I do clean it about every 300ish rounds. No problems yet.
20200725_114726.jpg

ended up choosing the dead air mask HD, it finally came in to stock for me