• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Curtis Axiom Revision History

Lexington

Just Some Guy
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2005
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Is there a known product revision history for the Axiom receiver? Has the design been stable for a long time? Is it the same in 2019 as it was in 2018?

Given the propensity to tinker in this industry, inquiring minds want to know. My purchase decision will be influenced by the answers.

I got my Axiom in 2017 and I want to say there aren’t any changes but I could be totally wrong. With that said, I haven’t seen full DLC in a while. Mine is full DLC.

I got my Axiom in 2017 and I want to say there aren’t any changes but I could be totally wrong. With that said, I haven’t seen full DLC in a while. Mine is full DLC.
I got one in Nov. 18 full DLC as well.

Reactions: 021411
i remember reading somewhere about the early axioms having different dimensions slightly.

i don't remember where or when i read/heard that.

so a barrel headspaced for a new axiom wouldn't headspace correctly on an older one.

but i have no idea when the change was made and how you would know.

have you tried contacting them directly?

Everything I’ve seen say that they changed at SN 300 and the ones that are 300 or older have a different head space than 301 and newer.

Reactions: padom
From straight jacket website when ordering a prefit. Nick does a LOT of work on Curtis actions
21B7880C-467C-4332-8E04-7BF2A0688F34.png

have you tried contacting them directly?

I will when I am ready to place an order, but I figured the SH brain trust might know.

It's just that custom actions are works of art and engineering, and Rev 2 usually solves a few issues from Rev 1 after some real world feedback is gained from the field. I'd like to have a product that has settled into relatively long term stability.

At some point (and they may still), have suffered from QA/QC issues. Manufacturing defects, and heard from one gunsmith that they were suffering from durability issues with soft metal.

A shooting friend had an Axiom and a Vector and both were defective - to the point of being unusable, straight from the factory. The Vector's bolt face was shaped "like a bowl". Needless to say, he now is shooting different actions.

A lot of people seem happy with Curtis Customs. All those in my shooting circles talk about that company like a bad nightmare (a lot of them local to the company). Hopefully they got their issues sorted out, there's always teething pains with starting up a new company, so I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they have sorted their issues out.

I would avoid early model Curtis Customs.

It was not my intention to start a Curtis-bashing thread. I am looking for product information.

The tolerances of this generation are tight and perhaps unforgiving if not near perfect. Field use tends to find the flaws and the manufacturers respond with an update. I'm looking for a receiver where all of the lessons have been learned and the product is such a known quantity that there is no doubt the functionality that will be delivered.

But the sky is not the limit for my budget. The Axiom appeals to me.

Last edited:
I've had ZERO issues with my Axiom. The last time I reached out to them for a simple question is was answered promptly.

It was not my intention to start a Curtis-bashing thread. I am looking for product information.

Custom actions are art and engineering, and the tolerances of this generation are tight and perhaps unforgiving if not near perfect. Field use tends to find the flaws and the manufacturers respond with an update. I'm looking for a receiver where all of the lessons have been learned and the product is such a known quantity that there is no doubt the functionality that will be delivered.

But the sky is not the limit for my budget. The Axiom appeals to me.

Not bashing, just merely sharing experiences from my shooting circle.

I personally like to hear about all the positive AND negative experiences of a product before buying. Usually the first thing I do is skip to the negative reviews of a product first, to see what type of issues other users are experiencing with said product.

Personally, I'm not aware if Curtis has addressed any issues that have cropped up with their products or not, so I can't speak to any product revisions. Doesn't sound like anyone else here can either based on the cricket noises in this thread.

Since you are looking for a product that has proven durability, I would recommend looking at either Lone Peak Fuzion or Impact. Both are essentially perfected field versions of your basic push feed Remington 700 action. Haven't heard any reliability issues of either action, and both are "field proven".

Not bashing, just merely sharing experiences from my shooting circle.

I personally like to hear about all the positive AND negative experiences of a product before buying. Usually the first thing I do is skip to the negative reviews of a product first, to see what type of issues other users are experiencing with said product.

Personally, I'm not aware if Curtis has addressed any issues that have cropped up with their products or not, so I can't speak to any product revisions. Doesn't sound like anyone else here can either based on the cricket noises in this thread.

Since you are looking for a product that has proven durability, I would recommend looking at either Lone Peak Fuzion or Impact. Both are essentially perfected field versions of your basic push feed Remington 700 action. Haven't heard any reliability issues of either action, and both are "field proven".
So you dont like Curtis actions, good for you. Stop pissin on the op's thread and go bitch somewhere else.

So you dont like Curtis actions, good for you. Stop pissin on the op's thread and go bitch somewhere else.

The OP asked for revisions on the action, particularily to address any issues found in the field.

I exposed issues, however I'm not aware of the revisions. My posts were within the intent of the OP to my understanding. If that offends people, then I can't really do anything about that.

Reactions: abn31c
Ok, I was pretty short, apologies for that. I saw you posted in the negative twice. There has been a bunch of bashing around here lately and it doesn't do us any good.

Ok, I was pretty short, apologies for that. I saw you posted in the negative twice. There has been a bunch of bashing around here lately and it doesn't do us any good.

No worries, didn't mean to bash. Just providing some info of some issues that I'm aware of.

I personally have no stake in the game, doesn't matter to me which action the OP ends up buying. I won't benefit in any way no matter what direction the OP goes.

Best of luck to the OP for finding the info he seeks.

My axiom is a great problem free action. I haven’t heard or read of issues until this thread which leads me to believe that there aren’t many if any.

MPA uses them as a base action for their builds.

Reactions: abn31c
I will buy another, very smooth action.
OP, sorry if I jacked your thread. I am around a bunch of these actions and hear nothing but positives. I say buy with confidence.

Reactions: kthomas
No worries, man. It's all good. I am thinking of these (and other) actions with my engineering background. Thinking of the prototype process, first article testing, production, and engineering change notices. I backed out of the purchase of another custom action becuase it is just too fresh.