• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Custom 10/22 - 200 yard range report.

InkDreams

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2011
United States
Got my 10/22 out to 200 for the first time yesterday.

Ammo was Eley Sport (~$3.50/box). Wind was 5-7mph gusts, left to right.

Fired a box or so at a big 50 yard slow fire pistol target to understand my adjustments and aiming. Then I set up the orange target you see at the bottom. The Burris scope my 10/22 came with ran out of elevation shooting this slower velocity round, so I had to holdover about 8 inches. I'll be getting a 20 MOA or 30 MOA base so I can deal with elevation more repeatably.

My friend's 10/22 with a stock barrel, standard but dowel-sandpaper floated stock, VQ trigger group, and $50 scope hit those big slow-fire targets with fairly cheap ammo. Groups were ugly, but the gun can do it.

photo1-8.jpg

photo2-8.jpg

photo3-5.jpg

photo4-6.jpg

photo-6.jpg

Once I fine tune a bit I think I'll join you guys in the rimfire competition threads :-D.

Re: Custom 10/22 - 200 yard range report.

Looks like you handled the wind pretty well (about 5" of horizontal). A little better ammo and you might be able to clean up that vertical dispersion.

Not having to hold over or using a mil dot might help some of that too. Nice rig. Some fine tuning and she'll be ready for the comps!

Have you tried any other brands of ammo yet? Eley Sport is good, but there are others that may help you out a little more. Good just staying pretty consistent with the wind gusts.

And nice looking rig!

Thanks guys!

I ordered some SK Plus to play with, and I had good results with Wolf Match at 100 yards, but when I shot it at 200 the hold-over was so ridiculous I decided not to mess with it yet.Once I get my base I'll attempt again.

Half of the fun will be trying out all sorts of ammo now.

What barrel are you sporting there? Pretty unusual with the external twists.

^ Spiral fluted. Fancy! Looks like something from Volquartzen. Like Hitman said I'd try some mini mags.

Not bad for the first outing. The 20 to 25 MOA scope base will be a big help in getting the cross hairs in the center of the target. I use Eley Sport in my Savage MKII FVT w/ a 20 MOA EGW Base and 6-24x42 Tasco TargetVarmint scope. Many swear by and use the Wolf subsonic ammo at 1050 fps. Eley Sport should be giving you 1085 fps (still plenty under the speed of sound).
smile.gif

Who sells a 30 MOA base for the 10/22? I've got a 20 on mine now and could use just a wee bit more.

Found that my 10/22 (stock target bbl, lot's of other mods) shoots CCI Green Tag best. It's expensive, but not as bad as Lapua.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmallBoreSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ Spiral fluted. Fancy! Looks like something from Volquartzen. Like Hitman said I'd try some mini mags.</div></div>

The barrel is actually an ER Shaw Match Twisted barrel. I think it's pretty darn effective (and cool looking). But I didn't build the gun, I took advantage of someone else's expenditures on it.

Oh and thanks for the input on the Mini Mags, I'll definitely try those. They weren't even on my radar.

Not bad for a .22. I'm in the middle of buidling a 10/22 as a trainer for my son.