• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom 10/22 bedding pillars, pics

Captain Kirk

Roberts Tactical Precison
Banned !
I have been working on a few custom 10/22 stocks,durring the process I thought it could be a accuracy enhancement to fabricate bedding pillars, which took me down a different road but the results have been worth it.

It started out with removing the factory wood stocks brass take down screw cup, more of a washer than a pillar really, there is a fair amount of wood between the take down screw cup, screw, and receive lug, .615" to be exact. Here are a few pics of the new pillars next to the factory cup.

gun023.jpg

Enlarging the factory hole to allow bedding of full length pillar

gun034.jpg

Preparing for bedding, putty with a layer of e-tape on sides of lug

gun035.jpg

stock after bedding pillar, 3.25" of barrel in front of lug supported, allowing action to "float"

gun042.jpg

More to come.......

Kirk R

Re: Custom 10/22 bedding pillars, pics

Nice, wish these were around when I bedded my 10/22 in the factory McMillan HTG-style stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Passport223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you making the pillars? </div></div>

Had a close friend that owns a machine shop fab them up, he did 30 pillars.

Kirk R

are you going to bed the entire action or just around the front lug area ?

I have tried free floating the rear action and bedding around the front lug and a few inches of the barrel which works great. When free floating the action you need to avoid heavy optics due to the fact the action no longer has a rear support, I used a Volquartsen barrel which puts the optics mount on the barrel and solves this issue.

The pillar by itself is an improvement for accuracy by itself without bedding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you going to bed the entire action or just around the front lug area ? </div></div>
When I built my GF's 10/22 I bedded the entire action as well as about an inch of the barrel... It shoots lights out...

I use the Volquartsen bedding system
153-bedding-system.jpg

and have had good results with it...
10-22_TgtGfx.jpg

Not the best rimfire groups in the world, but acceptable for a 10/22.

The more I think about it though, I would really like to try a full bedding job of the entire action and first two inches of barrel.
If nothing else, it should help with barrel droop and any other stress that is induced by the barrel.

Chasing accuracy with a 10/22 is an expensive obsession that I thought I had beat until I came across this thread...
Anyone have a good how to guide on bedding 10/22s?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Volquartsen bedding system

and have had good results with it...

Not the best rimfire groups in the world, but acceptable for a 10/22.

The more I think about it though, I would really like to try a full bedding job of the entire action and first two inches of barrel.
If nothing else, it should help with barrel droop and any other stress that is induced by the barrel.

Chasing accuracy with a 10/22 is an expensive obsession that I thought I had beat until I came across this thread...
Anyone have a good how to guide on bedding 10/22s? </div></div>
i used the Volquartsen bedding kit with my method as well, but did not use the pressure pad.

Thanks for posting this. I got a wild hair the other day and pulled my 10/22 apart and started wondering about bedding it the more I looked at it.

Check out Rimfire Tech for their bedding system. The adjustable "v" block with the stage 2 bedding system is a great setup. I have it on my 10/22 along with a bunch of other work. Besides the trigger work, it was the biggest improvement factor in my build-up. Accuracy improved immediately!

wish i had them whan i built my 2 10/22's.....i used a plumbing flange....and had to machine the heck out of it....it worked though

I might talk my dad into bedding his rifle, how much are you going to charge for these?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might talk my dad into bedding his rifle, how much are you going to charge for these? </div></div>

Currently, they are $250 but you get a custom stock as well
grin.gif

I am hoping to get a second batch soon, I currently have 50+ which will all be used on my stocks. I will offer a bedding kit soon for sale separately.

Kirk R

PM inbound as to not muck up your thread with off topicness
wink.gif