• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom 6.5cm Savage build feeding issues

p3ripperfw

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Just got my 6.5 creedmoor built savage up and running and Im having some issues with the ammo feeding correctly. Its in a manners t5a stock and is bedded, savage non designated short action with cdi bottom metal and alpha 10 round .308 mags. The problem Im experiencing is that when I cycle the bolt to feed a new round as the bullet hits the feed ramp it causes the bullet to tilt up in the front and down at the back of the case allowing the bolt to come off the back of the case and pass over the top of the bullet casing. I noticed there is a fair amount of play in the interface between the magazine and the bottom metal which has me a little concerned as well. The magazine is able to moved up and down between 1/8 and 1/4 inch. If I take my hand and hold the magazine tight up into the reciever the tabs at the top of the magazine which hold the ammunition into magazine will hit the bottom of the bolt causing friction. The other extreme where it is at its lower point allows the bolt to come off the round as its being fed as I stated above.

Does anyone have any ideas on which component is causing this issue?

Re: Custom 6.5cm Savage build feeding issues

I have a similar with my savage .308 with CDI DB. The directions that came with it said to slightly bend mag lips out to allow round to travel farther up. This helped the bolt not to ride over the round. Be careful not to bend too much though.

I still have a problem with the mag being tilted or pushed up. I'll wait for others that know what worked to fix it.

I dont see myself being able to do any bending on the mag. As it is now with 10 rounds in it barely holds the top round in as it is. Thanks for the reply on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a similar with my savage .308 with CDI DB. The directions that came with it said to slightly bend mag lips out to allow round to travel farther up. This helped the bolt not to ride over the round. Be careful not to bend too much though.

I still have a problem with the mag being tilted or pushed up. I'll wait for others that know what worked to fix it. </div></div>

I have SA centerfeed CDI DBM in a McMillan A5, and with my Alpha Type 2 the very last round in the magazine will not feed as the bolt passes over the round. If I push up on the mag a teeny bit, the bolt will catch it and it'll feed just fine.

Its a PITA, but hasn't made me want to tweak the magazine.

Maybe try an AICS 5 rounder and see if you experience the same problems?

Yeah I think Im fixing to buy some AICS mags and see how they work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have SA centerfeed CDI DBM in a McMillan A5, and with my Alpha Type 2 the very last round in the magazine will not feed as the bolt passes over the round. If I push up on the mag a teeny bit, the bolt will catch it and it'll feed just fine.

Its a PITA, but hasn't made me want to tweak the magazine.

Maybe try an AICS 5 rounder and see if you experience the same problems?</div></div>

Actually, it just occurred to me that my problems were with AICS mags, and it helped to bend the feed lips.

That's probably why I was able to do that mod, but you weren't.

And boilerup, having to screw with the mag to get the last round would piss me off beyond belief. I'd call CDI or sell the rifle. I imagine in a match that would really f your performance up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And boilerup, having to screw with the mag to get the last round would piss me off beyond belief. I'd call CDI or sell the rifle. I imagine in a match that would really f your performance up. </div></div>

I don't <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> its a CDI issue, given that the first nine rounds work just fine.

I don't shoot matches so its little more than a minor aggravation for me at this point, but eventually I'll get around to resolving it...

Sounds like the spring is too weak to push the round up high enough. If the first 9 work and last doesnt it sounds like its because the spring is under tension with the other 9 rounds in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And boilerup, having to screw with the mag to get the last round would piss me off beyond belief. I'd call CDI or sell the rifle. I imagine in a match that would really f your performance up. </div></div>

I don't <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> its a CDI issue, given that the first nine rounds work just fine.

I don't shoot matches so its little more than a minor aggravation for me at this point, but eventually I'll get around to resolving it...</div></div>