• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing custom action control feed

GMAC7949

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2009
Texas
Looking for a custom bolt action that is a control feed??
was looking at the montana actions but read some negative comments on this action. wanting one in a 308 bolt face SS.
can anyone help with this?

Re: custom action control feed

Hey Cegorach
The McMillan G30 is a Push Feed Rem style not control feed, like Win 70.

Give Mike Bush @ Underground Skunkworks a call. If I remember right, his "Compatible" action is a CRF.

I know he's down at Rifle's Only this week but a PM on here to "skunkworks" or just a voicemail should get you a reply within a week.

I see that know I was looking at the push feed and didnt see the CRF. SORRY.
Yea nice action but out of my price range was wanting to stay under 1000
This is why I was showing interest in the Montana Actions.
Was trying to get some input on the short action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about montana actions? </div></div>

Quality isnt there anymore. They have let a lot of bad actions out the door.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about montana actions? </div></div>
Personally, I would buy a bare FNH SPR CRF action and send it to a riflesmith who works on the CRF Model 70. Have the shop true the action, grind the lugs, and chamber a Kreiger or other top-end barrel for you. A rifle is more than the sum of it's parts, and the barrel, chambering, and bolt work are just as important as the action itself.

While factory actions don't make some people wet themselves like customs do, in the end, <span style="font-style: italic">in the right hands</span> the FN action can be as accurate as a custom action with the same barrel.

Keith

I have been looking at the FNH spr the only thing holding me back is I wanted Stainless Steel. I have already put a order into Bartlin for a barrel #3 sporter finished at 22", going to build a nice hunting rifle. Manners stock MCS-T just trying to decide on a action. If I go with a push feed action it will be a Steller Predator action.
There has to be more options for a CRF action in SS.
I guess I could find a Ruger M77 and strip it down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking at the FNH spr the only thing holding me back is I wanted Stainless Steel. I have already put a order into Bartlin for a barrel #3 sporter finished at 22", going to build a nice hunting rifle. Manners stock MCS-T just trying to decide on a action. If I go with a push feed action it will be a Steller Predator action.
I guess I could find a Ruger M77 and strip it down. </div></div>

Winchester M70s in Extreme Weather are SS and are CRF.

Is there something wrong with them or just unaware of them?

I was unaware of them! I just need to find one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking at the FNH spr the only thing holding me back is I wanted Stainless Steel. I have already put a order into Bartlin for a barrel #3 sporter finished at 22", going to build a nice hunting rifle. Manners stock MCS-T just trying to decide on a action. If I go with a push feed action it will be a Steller Predator action.
I guess I could find a Ruger M77 and strip it down. </div></div>
No. Find a Winchester Model 70 "Classic". The "Classic" was available in blued and SS, and was basically the re-birth of the Pre-64 action (true CRF and external extractor claw, bolt-mounted three-position safety, fixed ejector).

<span style="font-style: italic">strictlyRUM</span> sold a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Winchester CRF stainless WSM action</span></span> (Stainless Classic action) here on the Sniper's Hide recently. That was an excellent deal and ideal for a build because ot was action-only. Probably the best deal you can expect to find.

You can also find Stainless Classic rifles on GunBroker and GunsAmerica sometimes. Just do a search there for <span style="font-style: italic">Winchester Stainless Classic"</span>. Good Luck.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give Mike Bush @ Underground Skunkworks a call. If I remember right, his "Compatible" action is a CRF.

I know he's down at Rifle's Only this week but a PM on here to "skunkworks" or just a voicemail should get you a reply within a week. </div></div>

I have a prototype of the CRF "Military" version of the Model 911. 30* Coned bolt, dual extract, mechanical eject. I'm building a rifle on it to do some testing....