• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

custom action with similar threads to r700?

jeffl838

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
Might be upgrading my short action set up but i have a small collection of 700 barrels and would rather not spend a fortune on either new barrels or new threads... could probably get a smith to do it for cheap if the threads are similar enough. Any suggestions? Thanks.

My question is, these remington barrels, are they factory barrels and are they shouldered?

The problem with 700 action and the barrels that were fitted to them are all over the map with regards to tolerances. I would buy the action you want and go from there as opposed to buying an action you don’t want just to use up the consumables you have.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
My question is, these remington barrels, are they factory barrels and are they shouldered?
The problem with 700 action and the barrels that were fitted to them are all over the map with regards to tolerances. I would buy the action you want and go from there as opposed to buying an action you don’t want just to use up the consumables you have.
A4DE22D3-1583-4F5B-8478-D1C46FB40BAB.gif

They're all shouldered bartleins. I honestly can't choose on an action I want (they're all good!), so this was gonna be my final metric.

Youre 99% likely going to have to machine on them to get them to match up with anything. Off the top of my head I think defiance has 1 1/16x16 threads and can be had in the same bolt nose pattern, tenacity is their cheapest offering.
But you still have the issue of that shoulder probably being in the wrong place for anything unless its just blind luck.

Oh yeah I understand I'll definitely have to get some machining done. I'm not a machinist so this might be stupid, but I figured maybe there is an action where the shoulder could just be moved a little bit back. I'll check out defiance. Thx.

Oh yeah I understand I'll definitely have to get some machining done. I'm not a machinist so this might be stupid, but I figured maybe there is an action where the shoulder could just be moved a little bit back. I'll check out defiance. Thx.
You’d be screwing yourself by moving the action face as that would preclude any future use of prefits.

Tell us about your Remington. Is it box stock? Does it use a factory .187” recoil lug, or a heavy lug? Have the threads or face been trued? Anything been done to the bolt nose or face?

Why not just sell your Remington action bundled with the barrels that fit it?

I’d get a drawing of the tenacity with the specs and go see the smith that does the work. Otherwise it’s just speculation but I’m sure your smith can get you fixed up.

You’d be screwing yourself by moving the action face as that would preclude any future use of prefits.

Tell us about your Remington. Is it box stock? Does it use a factory .187” recoil lug, or a heavy lug? Have the threads or face been trued? Anything been done to the bolt nose or face?

Why not just sell your Remington action bundled with the barrels that fit it?
Sorry, i worded that poorly. I meant setting the shoulder back on the barrels I already have. Honestly, I don't plan on using prefits ever. I like the gunsmiths I have established relationships with a lot and feel like their work shoots tighter.

It must be a heavy lug because it measures ~.235. I won this rifle, so I don't know if it's been trued honestly. It came with a bartlein, shot really well, so I decided to just keep getting barrels shouldered for it and the formula kept working.

I know that worst case they can definitely just lop off the threads and recut the barrel. Jcmullis, i'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks!

Might be upgrading my short action set up but i have a small collection of 700 barrels and would rather not spend a fortune on either new barrels or new threads... could probably get a smith to do it for cheap if the threads are similar enough. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I just went through this, with three low mile barrels two off a Stiller Predator and one off a Remington 700

They went onto a Defiance Tenacity.

All I had to do is get the next thicker recoil lug so the gunsmith only had to trim the shoulder back to set the bolt nose clearance and headspace. The nominal clearances from bolt face to breech face as were all the same, and he did not have to touch the chambers at all.

The only other potential issue is that Remington thread are typically on the large side and the barrel that was machined to fit the 700 was too large for the defiance and had to be picked up and cut down slightly.

Reactions: Ksracer
I haven't priced the work but barrels are a consumable. Is it worth setting the barrels back to use them over using them on the action you have?

Buy the action you want. Buy new barrels. Maybe take the opportunity to buy in calibers you don't have in the Remington. Then as you burn out a barrel buy it for the new action. When you are out of barrels sell the action.

Yes my advice is a second rifle. I've bought National Match Service Rifle AR uppers because the ready to shoot upper was $100 more than the barrel.