• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom action worth the extra $ for hunting rig?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
Doing some figuring and looks like it'll cost about $260 more for a custom round action over buying an SPS and selling the parts. My gunsmith will true and chamber an action for $350 or just chamber for $250.

Is there anything really "wrong" with a good 'ol Remington 700 action? May be a little sloppier, but it's a hunting rig...

Re: Custom action worth the extra $ for hunting rig?

the only benefits I can see if you don't have some specific requirement that would push you towards the custom are possible resale value in the future and WOW factor...

It's all personal preference I would love a custom hunting rig on a lightweight custom action. But it all comes with a price!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but it's a hunting rig... </div></div>

Just a hunting rig? Most of us don't hunt the two legged kind of prey, more often than not, we are shooting steel, paper, or some kind of four legged animal. I think the apex of marksmanship is when we put all our skills together for the perfect shot, and to place it on a living being who want's not to die, but spends its life trying to avoid just such an event makes that shot even more satisfying.
That is why I think that even a lowly hunting rifle deserves even the best quality and care.
Surely off the shelf hunting rifles are capable of good accuracy, I have a couple. And I would have no problem using one, even for a once in a lifetime type of hunt. BUT, I would rather have the best possible tool in my hands, and more often than not, those tools are custom built.
Just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anything really "wrong" with a good 'ol Remington 700 action? </div></div>

Nope. That's why so many custom actions are copies/slight improvements of the 700 action.

Unless you're incredibly rich, about to go African safari trompin, and have a $5000 wager on whether or not your rifle misfires, go Remington.

I understand that accuracy is important as I'd like to make this a 1/2" rifle. That's why I will pull the barrel and have a new Brux #5 ready to slap on it. I'm just talking mainly money wise vs. durability and the actual need for a one piece bolt, fancy name, etc on a hunting rifle.

It'll be a 7mm SAUM built on a WSM action either R700 or Surgeon RSR...

I'm working on a .260 right now, Surgeon 591, A5, etc, but I think a precision long range hunting rifle would be kick ass.

Personally, I don't think buying a custom action for a hunting rifle is worth it. In east Texas, we have a lot of hogs which I hunt year round. I don't really need anything special as long as it is a decent rifle and able to take down the animal. I use the same Remington 700 varmint synthetic in .308 for deer too. Though lately I've been using my SBR ar15 for pigs as they are getting bigger in numbers and I need to shoot as many as I can.

But here I am spending huge bucks on an old 1909 argentine Mauser to make it into a high grade sporting rifle
smirk.gif

$300 for the action
$2600 for trueing and cleaning up surfaces, installing barrel, custom contoured scope bases and other custom fabrications
$300 for a .280 Douglas barrel
$2000 for a gunstock blank
$3600 for shaping the blank and inletting
$??? For engraving and gold inlay
$??? for rust blue, color case hardening, and nitre bluing
$1700 for a S&B scope

There is nothing wrong with just leaving the action as is, like you said its just a hunting rig, plenty accurate for those hogs or whatever you are hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doing some figuring and looks like it'll cost about $260 more for a custom round action over buying an SPS and selling the parts. My gunsmith will true and chamber an action for $350 or just chamber for $250.

Is there anything really "wrong" with a good 'ol Remington 700 action? May be a little sloppier, but it's a hunting rig... </div></div>

First off, if you are keeping the rifle for life and are not worried about resale value then a factory Remington actions is a valid choice. I bought a .270 Winchester SPS and by the time I was done with it, I could have purchased an entry level aftermarket action.

Today I would seriously consider an aftermarket option if I could get one for a ~$260 "up charge".

I've got it figured like this:

Remington WSM action ($365 total)
Manners MCS-T $415
Chassis System $360
Timney $125
Brux $425
Smith work $350

Total $2,040

Wouldn't that be a pretty easy sell later on if I ever wanted to? I would think so, but maybe no??? A lot of GAP rifles are built on R700's and sell for a premium.

I promise I'm not arguing one bit. I'd love to have the Surgeon, but justifying the cost is hard for me. I've also just heard RSR's went up to like $865, that's $400 over the R700...

It's more the indian, than the arrow.

Plain old 700's tweaked just right have done plenty of hittin' and plenty of killin' for me.......

There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with the good old rem 700. these rifles have been used on millions of successful hunts in the past and will continue to be highly effective will into the future.

R700 is a fine action. Some custom actions can be sub-optimal for hunting because they are made to such tight tolerances, they can jam in dirty conditions more easily. So, what some people call "sloppy" with an R700, others would call "reliable function." For hunting, an R700 is perfect.

Just get a Win M70 , no worries...LOL
laugh.gif

wink.gif
someone had to say it. LOL

If your buying everything new it makes sense to plunk down the extra $260 dollars for a custom action. If I had a remington sitting at the house I would just have it trued and be happy saving the money. The real question is at the end of the day do you want a custom or are you ok with a trued remington. When you start spending large amounts of money on rifles you need to get what you want even if it takes longer to be happy!

I hunted with a browning 7mm mag and my brother a Rem 7mm-08 for about 10 years. We have both made accurate kill shots up to 400 yards or so (my brother's 425 yard antelope shot, we walked it).

This was before either of us knew about custom actions or 5r fluted barrels or jewel triggers, etc.

Point being, do you need it, no. Is it worth the money for a hunting rig, probably not. Would it be fun to have? Yes... It's why I ordered a complete custom rifle this year. So I can have a rock solid and smooth action with an amazing milky trigger! Yeah... it's a matter of want.

Just a thought....I was looking though the rifle sales on the hide and saw some stiller actions for sale.. A actios were trued for $750. They had the milled flat on the left side of the actions with lonestar printed in the slot. Also is a rem 700 sps 308 barreled action for $450. Check the sales adds some good deals in there.
Just saying if you can get a deal on an action or barreled action it may save the headache of trying to sale the parts.
As far as rem actions they are hard to beat.

BCD I saw that, but I just want to support my fellow Oklahomans, lol.

I think what I'll do is call tomorrow and see what I can get the RSR for and hope it's still $780 or whatever it was...

I'm affraid to buy the Remington, because I know what my anal self will do and that'll either be have $800 in it (maybe a few years down the line) or sell it right after I get it because I'm not happy with it.

Buy once, cry once, I guess.......................

If your just wanting a hunting rig, go with one of the higher end Remingtons with a quality stocks from the factory that you like. It will be plenty accurate for hunting a considerable distances. If you want a custom rig from the get go, then according to your math above, you're only saving $150.00 by going with the Remington. The customs such as the Surgeons or Stillers I use are more than a small improvement over a trued Remington. Well worth the extra little bit when you consider what the whole rig is going to cost. With me it's cheaper or equal to build on a custom action if your starting from scratch, and don't already have the Remington. Just take a look at the comparison video I did on you tube on my channel, suar08161991. Good luck with which ever way you decide to go.

I know I could have just went with a Remington and been ahead as far as money, but I got a Surgeon RSR WSM ordered today!!! It should be my way tomorrow.

Got it from the main man BJ at Third Generation Shooting Supply. Great guy to deal with and don't think you could beat his prices!!

I'll post some pics when I get it. I know everyone has seen an RSR, but what the hell...