• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Action

Yes, the action is the same on all of them. Most of the differences in their lineup are just barrel and stock variances. The CTR adds an upgraded bolt knob, and the TAC adds a chassis stock and a 2-stage trigger IIRC. But for the rest, the entire receiver/trigger/bolt/knob/etc. are all identical except for finish (blued vs stainless).

The answer to your last 2 questions is yes. So your best argument against a $400 Tikka action is that you prefer to buy a $1k+ action so that you can put a $275 trigger in it when the Tikka doesn't even need a trigger upgrade to begin with?

Link to $400 Tikka action with a magnum bolt face?

• Haha
Reactions: reubenski
Link to $400 Tikka action with a magnum bolt face?
You can buy a Tikka for $500-$550 and sell off the components for at least $100. They were clearancing some T3 models out around $400 for the whole rifle awhile back. So that would have been a $250-$300 action. You can buy a used full rifle for around $400-$450 anytime. Lots of options. Even if the action ends up costing $450, is that $50 really relevant when the alternatives we're discussing are triple the price?

Or you can shoot it as-is and have a 1/2 MOA gun and stop spending thousands to chase tiny groups that don't matter when you get up from prone.

I shot my stock CTR for a long time. Have buddies with nice barrels on custom actions that don't shoot any better. I finally replaced the CTR stock just because I loved the look and feel of the Manners, and not because I needed to. People who are used to 700s and Savages don't realize that Tikkas don't need everything to be replaced. It's a different mindset.

You can buy a Tikka for $500-$550 and sell off the components for at least $100. They were clearancing some T3 models out around $400 for the whole rifle awhile back. So that would have been a $250-$300 action. You can buy a used full rifle for around $400-$450 anytime. Lots of options. Even if the action ends up costing $450, is that $50 really relevant when the alternatives we're discussing are triple the price?

Or you can shoot it as-is and have a 1/2 MOA gun and stop spending thousands to chase tiny groups that don't matter when you get up from prone.

I shot my stock CTR for a long time. Have buddies with nice barrels on custom actions that don't shoot any better. I finally replaced the CTR stock just because I loved the look and feel of the Manners, and not because I needed to. People who are used to 700s and Savages don't realize that Tikkas don't need everything to be replaced. It's a different mindset.

When I eventually shoot out the barrel on my T3 it will be going in a Bravo with a nice prefit barrel.
The action should be about as slick as it's going to get by then and the factory trigger is very good as is so no need to mess with it or upgrade in my opinion.

Reactions: patriot07

Your numbers are optimistic at best. Yeah, you can find a Tikka T3x for $550, but there's not much of a market for a take off barrel and stock. It's also unlikely we're going to see another $400 blowout like Euro Optic had.

Last edited:
Just as an update, in case you all are super interested in my life :ROFLMAO:

I went with a Seekins Havak Pro Hunter. I thought it was a good bang for my buck-- It checked off almost every box I wanted. Also, will be very easy to upgrade one day if I choose as it has a R700 footprint. Thank you all for your input!

Reactions: patriot07
Does my beloved Huber 2stage fit the Tikka?

Is there an endless supply of chassis/stock available?

Is there a multitude of barrel options for the tikka?

I’m no tikka hater but they do bring limitations.

And it's worse with Sako. I really wanted to love my TRG-22, but the stock cheek piece was painful and had no immediate adjustability, and there were just about no options for an aftermarket stock or chassis. There weren't any options for anything else, either.

And it's worse with Sako. I really wanted to love my TRG-22, but the stock cheek piece was painful and had no immediate adjustability, and there were just about no options for an aftermarket stock or chassis. There weren't any options for anything else, either.

I miss my TRG.

Broke a bolt stop pin on my TRG42. Ordered a new replacement M995 bolt stop pin from brownells and sold the Sako.

Built a Defiance Rebel action in an AICS and it worked really well. But there was always something about a nice factory gun that I always liked.