• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom actions

Going with tikka/sako mags will severely limit your chassis/stock options as well as resell value and time frame to get sold. In the grand scheme of a precision rifle that cost $4-8k saving less than $100 for a few mags makes no sense.

If you really like the tikka/sako mags consider a sako TRG. I have one and it’s also an awesome rifle. The factory forend is not great for PRS type matches and it’s pretty light for that type of game since the barrel is light and no weight options for the rifle. I bought a vision forend for mine and it has built in arca that’s nice but they no longer make them as far as I know. You can buy a complete vision chassis or the KRG whiskey chassis for the trg but now you are spending way more money than you would going with impact, lone peak, bighorn ect and building exactly what you want.

Going with tikka/sako mags will severely limit your chassis/stock options as well as resell value and time frame to get sold. In the grand scheme of a precision rifle that cost $4-8k saving less than $100 for a few mags makes no sense.

If you really like the tikka/sako mags consider a sako TRG. I have one and it’s also an awesome rifle. The factory forend is not great for PRS type matches and it’s pretty light for that type of game since the barrel is light and no weight options for the rifle. I bought a vision forend for mine and it has built in arca that’s nice but they no longer make them as far as I know. You can buy a complete vision chassis or the KRG whiskey chassis for the trg but now you are spending way more money than you would going with impact, lone peak, bighorn ect and building exactly what you want.
TRG’s are great rifles if you like how they come or have the cheddar for a -A1.

Also consider if you go to a match and forget your mags or have a mag issue 99% odds no one with have tikka or sako mags to help you. Running AI mags there will be plenty of people that could loan you a mag. And MDT has Black Friday sales including their mags for 40% off I believe.

A friend of a friend is running 2 falkors 223 and 6.5 creed. No issues from what I was told. Haven’t seen them in person.

I really liked the falkor and wish it would have worked out for me. Falkors customer service was good to deal with and I think in the end was mostly fair. They paid the shipping both ways. My only complaints are they never answered their phone, always had to leave a message or email and they would call back, usually same day. Which is a minor gripe but lone peak and bighorn have answered almost every time I have called. And the big complaint is they wouldnt refund or pay to get the new barrel refit to another action. It had 50 rounds on it when I sent the action to them. Fortunately for me the barrel fits the Lone Peak.
That’s good to hear. While im not 100% settled on the build I want for a falkor action I’d like to add one to the stable for sure

Slightly late to the reply but here are the questions in a more organized manner:

The top factors #1 and #2 is what I need feedback for. The nice to haves I can more or less figure out from specs in a spreadsheet or from various user / anecdotal feedback and informal testing or just looking at the design / function.

Guess the top 2 factors for me will be
1. Won't bind on open / close or when working the bolt back and forth. So for example, I mention a CZ452 above that while it never actually gets stuck, it will bind a little here and there when working the bolt instead of just going straight back and forth. One or two T1x I tried had the same issue. I could also use a Savage 10 as another example (not the most refined gun, just an example) - this happens on multiple Savage 10's that I tried. Even after lubrication and polishing on my own, if I don't grab the handle in the right spot and push on the bolt a certain way, it will bind because it seems like the bolt is pushing laterally into the receiver instead of back and forth. Or it won't be one smooth action but rather slow at some parts and faster at others b/c it's binding ever so slightly.
2. Just works - not having to tweak triggers, polish bolts and raceways, or tune mags or rounds to an excessive degree. Or say use special lube or replace small components regularly just for things to work reliably. It doesn't need to be perfectly refined while doing the above. This is how I view the Tikka T3/x - could be more refined / betterer, but I've one I've tried just works.

Nice to haves in approximate order of importance:
3. Mechanical ejection.
4. Relatively easy to lift and close bolt with 60-80 degree throw, if possible.
5. Can single feed if needed.
6. Readily available pre-fits and chassis/stocks.
7. OK with sand/dust and ice/snow and triggers won't freeze or misfire in adverse conditions - i.e. it seems like most Win 70, Tikka, Sako, Weatherby Vanguard mk series, etc. are better in this regard than most actions based on a 700 design and I speculate this is also why a higher % of these show up more in hunting than they do in sport shooting.
8. Slight preference for Tikka double stack or AIAW over AICS mags, but not a big deal either way.

-----------------------------
Earlier comments re-organized:
I seem to see more feedback here and elsewhere that most ARC actions, especially upon release, may not meet #2, which matches my limited sample size of 2 experience. But when they work, they're great. My limited sample size of 1 with an unknown TL3 as mentioned above didn't meet #1 due to hard bolt open/close. Haven't tried Kelbly. Otherwise, it seems like the Bighorn / Zermatt TL3, Kelbly Prometheus, and ARC Nucleus 2.0 and CDG will meet most factors #3-6 and #8. #7 probably just won't happen with a R700 based receiver and trigger?

Or, I notice just looking around here and elsewhere that a lot of people seem to use the Impact 737r and Lone Peak Fuzion - I'm guessing this is a hint in it's own way and means "they just work" and forget the other features b/c not that important relative to "they just work"?