• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing custom barrel question

avd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
ho, tx
I received a custom barrel for a new rifle i am having built. About an inch from the muzzle it appears they were going to chop an inch off and then stopped.

Is there a reason for this?

Thanks in advance,

avd
DSCN0451.jpg

Re: custom barrel question

No reason. How long is the barrel and what final length do you want? It may be inconsequental.

The total length of the blank is 28". I am building a 6.5 cm and have yet decided on a barrel length. How long a barrel can be made from what i have?

Try unscrewing it and see what happens...

Thats normal. You need to cut 1" off the muzzle, minimum. They're telling you to "Cut Here"

you will need to chop at minimum an 1" off the muzzle end anyway, sometimes 2", depending on the manufacture. This is due to the lapping, which doesn't get all the way to the end of the blank. This may be a mark to show where the barrel needs to be cut to.

Thanks a bunch. I learned something today.

avd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks a bunch. I learned something today.

avd </div></div>Me too! Looked like a thread protector to me, but then it looked like you could see rifling as well, which wouldn't make sense. The above makes sense.

Its a Hart barrel. They were good people to deal with.

I have even some custom barrels that you have to cut 2" off the muzzle end of the blank.

i have never bought a custom barrel. but i knew there had to be something to it. even the worst of qc departments wouldnt send that one out.

A little more information. When a barrel is lapped the lead lap is poured in the barrel and is pushed out the muzzle and then loaded with abrasive. When it is pulled back into the barrel it creates a slight flair or enlarging of the end of the barrel. This is done with several grits of lapping compound, starting with a course grit progressing to a not as course grit. Most say to cut about an inch off and some put a saw cut in the barrel, some right on the barrel how much to cut off. Listen to the barrel maker.

Dave,

Flared from lapping and also sometimes they use a lead in reamer before they run the button thru the hole..

It's a cut line, 'cut here'.