• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Barreled Action Builders

nightvisiondude721

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2020
Arizona
Hey Hide! I am looking into building my first bolt action rifle and was wondering what recommendations you guys have for custom builders who could assemble a barreled action for me on a custom action and barrel of my choice. I don’t want to be solely stuck with going to local rifle builders and would like to be able to get one made at a competitive price from a reputable builder.

Thanks!

building my first bolt action rifle

We are going to need more information if you want good advice.

1. Purpose for the rifle? Competition? What competition? Hunting? Etc…
2. What cartridge are you considering?

barrel of my choice

What barrel are you considering?

Many people on here build their own rifles with a custom action and a pre-fit barrel. Are you mechanically inclined? There are a lot of places that you can pick up a barreled action that do quality work like Keystone Accuracy, Bug Holes, PVA, etc…..If you do some searching on this site you will find a lot of information.

We are going to need more information if you want good advice.

1. Purpose for the rifle? Competition? What competition? Hunting? Etc…
2. What cartridge are you considering?

What barrel are you considering?

Many people on here build their own rifles with a custom action and a pre-fit barrel. Are you mechanically inclined? There are a lot of places that you can pick up a barreled action that do quality work like Keystone Accuracy, Bug Holes, PVA, etc…..If you do some searching on this site you will find a lot of information.
Yeah, I definitely could have been more informative. I would like to build a PRS style rifle in 300 PRC with capability of using clip on night vision. I would like to use lilja or proof barrel. Looking for just the barreled action at the moment, as I plan on dropping it into a KRG chassis. I am mechanically inclined, but hadn’t previously thought of using a profit to do the assembly of a barrel and action myself. Do you have suggestions on going down that path?

Thank you!

Bighorn Origin long action and Proof Origin shouldered prefit are the easy button. You will need an Origin action wrench, a barrel vise, anti-seize, and a torque wrench to put it together. PMA makes a good barrel vise. It’s wise to have go and nogo gauges just to check headspace, although it should have already been set with a shouldered prefit.

Here’s how you do it.

I think he said 75 inch pounds. Should be foot pounds but a good video giving the OP an idea of how easy it is to do. I would recommend an Origin also as it's an excellent action for $900 and you can easily change the bolt face for multiple calibers. I would however recommend a PVA Osprey barrel as they are very accurate, clean up easy, you can get some different calibers and freebores and different contours. Josh @bohem is on the site and can answer questions.

Reactions: KYAggie
I think he said 75 inch pounds

Yes, he did make that mistake. It’s foot pounds. If you watch it on YouTube, he made a correction in the comments. Good catch!

76CCF636-F9B4-428C-9E55-0EE850A392D3.jpeg

Reactions: Rob01
Yeah, I definitely could have been more informative. I would like to build a PRS style rifle in 300 PRC with capability of using clip on night vision. I would like to use lilja or proof barrel. Looking for just the barreled action at the moment, as I plan on dropping it into a KRG chassis. I am mechanically inclined, but hadn’t previously thought of using a profit to do the assembly of a barrel and action myself. Do you have suggestions on going down that path?

Thank you!
So are you planning to shoot PRS style matches with this? Or hunting with it?