• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Custom Bipod Features

CharlieNC

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
I currently use a Harris bipod, and a machinist friend has offered to build me a custom bipod. After looking over many of the high-end bipods, I see there are a number of features to consider. Please offer your advise on both a key feature to incorporate and to avoid. For starters, my thoughts are
Incorporporate: Adjustable canting
Avoid: Slop (like with Harris spring action) that requires pre-loading
Who knows, if this works out well he may commercialize these for sale.
Thanks for your input.......Charlie

Here are some other features you might want to think about:

1) attachment: bolt-on, QD, etc.?
2) materials used and durability
3) weight: keeping it in the range of an Atlas V8 would be a benefit (ie. 1 lb or less)
4) speed/ease of deployment: simple and fast = better
5) type of feet

Of course these are just some suggestions and will really depend on what the intended use will be (general use, tactical/positional, F-Class, etc). Good luck with the project!

Thks gs. The primary application is for F-Class. At this stage I like the functional workings of the Sinclair, but less bulky and lighter.

If F-Class is the intended audience, then I'd drop most of my suggestions and keep it to only two: light weight and durable. Most of the sled-type bipods like the Sinclair and others weigh in at a minimum of ~1.5 lb. Some are well over 2 lb. When I look at the way those are constructed, I can't help but feel many are way over-engineered and much more complicated than necessary, which all adds up to extra weight. I personally don't want to use up any more than 1 lb to 1.5 lb as an absolute max for a bipod on my F-T/R rifles. I think if you focus your efforts with "lightweight" and "simple" in mind, you'll be able to come up with something good. Let us know how it comes along.

Duplin bipod is lightweight at 1 pound 1 ounce and strong, sturdy, and rigid. Has cant and elevation adjustment too.

I would say that you should use the best bipod that you can make weight with. I wouldn't worry about finding the lightest bipod unless you have a 16lb rig and need to make weight. I would say that the best bipods I would look at are the sinclair mod 3, center shot, and dublin.

I am with Jeff on the Duplin Bipod. I have seen it and it is quality and lightweight.

I have been using the Sinclair GenIII with adjustable elevation since it came out. While it is a good bipod, I'm still in search of something better. It has a little bit of wobble that I find annoying: will be giving the Duplin bipod a shot. I've also tried Censhot & Rempels. The Rempel is the best I"ve found yet: built like a tank with no wobble whatsoever. Unfortunately, it also weighs over 3 lbs. http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2011/04/equipment-canadian-f-class-bipod.html

I have my general design concept finalized. The only adjustment will be both legs will be threaded for length and leveling, with a lock collar of course. Since this means each leg will rotate 360deg, I will experiment with a variety of ball shapes such that this is fully symmetrical regardless of orientation; the diameter and material will vary.

The STar Shooter weighs in at 28oz

Scotthar
I have the Remple and like you say its heavy but there is non better made and solid to shoot off
I got a new last year Star shooter it weighs 28 0z lighter than the Sinclairs and its solid like remple and no movement like Sinclairs & carbon leg shafts don't flex like the Center shot you will not be disappointed with the Star Shooter
Just Google; Star shooter

P1080506.jpg

P1080472.jpg

P1080480.jpg