• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing custom bottom metal for CZ 550 Medium Action

g_1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2009
Hi everybody,
I know that my question could sound pretty stupid , but this is my first experiment in customizing a rifle.
I would like to change the bottom metal part of my rifle ( a CZ 550 Medium action, chambered in .300 Win Mag ) together with the stock.
For the stock I have no doubt : McMillan A5
but for the bottom metal seems impossible to find a custom replacement.
The original part is pretty ugly, and other than this I would like to have a detachable magazine.
Is it a way to make this possible or should I stick with the original part?
I already try to ask to Peter Griesel and Duane Wiebe ( Duane were very kind and give me a lot of support) but even those 2 gentlemen can not help me.

I'm wondering if It is possible to have some options with the A5 stock.
Do you have any suggestion?

Re: custom bottom metal for CZ 550 Medium Action

If you want detatchable magazine setup, the easy way to get it is to sell the CZ and buy a remington 700 based gun.
Then you will have LOTS of options in all parts.

If you are opposed to remington for some reason, CDI makes detatchable mag bottom metal setups for winchester/fn, savage and Tikka as well.
There's just no love for the Mauser that your CZ550 is based off of...

Re: custom bottom metal for CZ 550 Medium Action

hi,
thank you for your suggestion.
No, I really love the remington actions and I could not say anything bad about this system.
To be honest with you I prefer some European actions such like Sako or Unique Alpine or even A.I. but this has nothing to do with the real performance of the system, it is more like a personal feeling.
By the way , CZ actions are not so bad and I think that if they are trued good they could stand with remington action as well.
The cz/Mauser action are still used for fine customized hunting rifle , and I think that if I do my best something good could come out from this rifle.
The CZ/Mauser choice were made for a strange reason:
I had this rifle for a very good deal ( I paid this rifle something like 200$) because the old owner made a huge mistake.... he tried ( and ufortunately was able to ) to shoot a 30.06 round in this rifle, so the case were stuck in the chamber when I took away this rifle with me from the store.
So if I had to sell this rifle i must first change some parts , and other than this please remember that a good remmy 700 in Italy cost no less than 2000$.
it is not a good idea for this situation, also because I should throw away the barrel , the stock , the trigger, and so on.
Should be better to buy a good custom action like Surgeon or Nesika bay Tactical.
But here comes the troubles.The Italian Laws.
In Italy is not very easy ( but I should say "It's imopossible ) to buy actions or barrels from abroad , especially for a "normal citizen" like me, so the only thing I can do is to blueprint the existing rifle and try to make it the more accurate that I can.
With that said my question is :
If I change the stock with an A5 is it possible to use another floorplate?
Detachable magazine are not mandatory, but I would love to have it.
Just I don't want to use the original part because it is too thin and the floorplate it is made in plastic.
I already have some measurements for this part , but nobody were able to help me and everybody still told me to use the original part.

My first idea were to use the bottom metal of the CZ 550 H.E.T. , but unfortunately Even CZ USA did not aswer me.