• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Build or AI AXMC ??

Btmann45

FIRE FOR EFFECT
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2018
Kentucky
I have been dabbling in longe range for a while mostly with gas guns. I am going to be getting Into long rage bolt gun training and then stepping into prs shooting. I cant decide or figure out if I should purchase the best parts and have a top tier gunsmith build the gun or buy something like the AI AXMC. I would like people 2 cents and why they would choose one over the other. Cost is not a concern!

I would go w/ the AX over the AXMC for PRS type shooting. I'd get the AXMC if you were interested in ELR or might ever pickup ELR.

I would get behind an AXMC or AX and see if you like the ergonomics. This should make your decision easier from there.

The reason I liked the axmc was spinning up new barrels and the fact I could shoot 6 creed or 308 or 338. It's going to be a multi use rifle not just a game gun. I have not done my research on the ax and not sure what the difference is other than mc is multi cal. Why do u fell the ax or axmc is a better choice than say a (bat action, bartline barrel, krg stock, built by short action custom). There is not a right and wrong answer just want your opinion. I would love to get behind the AI but I don't have that option. I have been thinking about flying out to mile high so I can get my hands on alot of top gear, but was informed there store front/ show room was not that big. I'm in the market for everything from spotting scope, scope, tripod, accessories.

AXMC is long action, AX is short action. Same switch barrel capability. They just accept different barrel threads.

If you are having a competent smith put it together, like SAC, I wouldn't say an AI is a better choice. But just like getting behind an AI and seeing if you like the ergonomics, the components you chose for a custom build need to be tested and make sure they fit you and that you like them.

I wouldn't fly right now if I were you.

You could buy a AI AT from here or new, slap a premium optic on it, and still come under the price of either AX. Those have a quick change barrel feature as well.

Having said that, euro is blowing out short AX’s with s&b 5-25’s. Crazy deal.

Reactions: Defender3
I'm definitely a custom guy. My current rifle is pretty much perfect, but it took many iterations and thousands of dollars to get it to this point.

AI's are undoubtedly great rifles. I have lots of friends that have them, they are excellent systems. You know they are going to work out of the box, and well. Personally, there's some things I don't like about the AI system. I'm not a fan of the trigger, the ergonomics, or some aspects of the chassis' designs. However, that's strictly personal preference.

A custom can be made to exactly fit you, and for whatever your preferences are. If you don't know what your preferences are, you may go through multiple rifles or iterations of a rifle (time and $) to figure out what those are. Some parts may not play well together, and you and your rifle may become a victim of stacking of tolerances. Paying for a good competent gunsmith and quality components pays dividends, put still doesn't guarantee that it will take some further effort and frustration to get it to work 100%. But when it does work and fit exactly the way you want, it's like a well made tailored suit. But it may require going back to the "tailor" a few times for alterations to make it perfect, takes a few fitting sessions to get it dialed in.

An AI is the easy button. Take it out of the box, slap a scope on it, and it's going to shoot and shoot well. It's that really high end made to measure suit hanging out on the rack - might fit you, might not. It might be everything you dream of in a rifle, and after this point you may forget how to spell the word custom. Lots of folks on here very happy with AI rifles, and rightfully so.

If you know exactly what you want in a rifle, and have a good gunsmith, a custom is my personal preference and recommendation. If you are still figuring things out, it's really really hard to beat an AI.

Good luck in your decision.

My axmc is one of the few rifles that will never leave my safe

I 100% agree w/ @kthomas assessment w/ the suit analogy. I was going to tag him earlier w/ that but figured he would chime in. I started off w/ customs and moved to AI's about a year and a half ago. First an AT then an AX. Been in the AX for about a year now.

AI's are undoubtedly great rifles. I have lots of friends that have them, they are excellent systems. You know they are going to work out of the box, and well. Personally, there's some things I don't like about the AI system. I'm not a fan of the trigger, the ergonomics, or some aspects of the chassis' designs. However, that's strictly personal preference.

Trigger: After running the trigger for 1.5yrs I dont think Id ever go back to anything other than a "heavier" 2-stage trigger. The trigger has actually become one of the features I really like. Initially, I did not like it at all.
Ergonomics: I agree the pistol grip is garbage. I wrapped mine in tape and ride my thumb on top of my index finger. On the AT I preferred the thumbholes and actually found that more comfortable. The buttstock possibilities are endless, no gripes there.
Chassis Design: The AX hump and AT height are less than ideal.

I just want to bring up a small point. Ai axmc Barrel can be removed and make barrel cleaning so much easier. Custom rifle usually do not have removable barrel option.

AXMC is long action, AX is short action. Same switch barrel capability. They just accept different barrel threads.

If you are having a competent smith put it together, like SAC, I wouldn't say an AI is a better choice. But just like getting behind an AI and seeing if you like the ergonomics, the components you chose for a custom build need to be tested and make sure they fit you and that you like them.

I wouldn't fly right now if I were you.
Def. Not flying any place till the covid is done

I understand and agree with finding what fits but unfortunately I dont know any place remotely close to get the feel for the ax or a custom. I would be willing to travel any place I could get my hands on a bunch of different options, I just dont know where that would be. I guess I may be looking at this the wrong way. My thought was buy once cry once and get the very best out there scope,rifle, gear. Shooting long range is something that has intrested me and I have enjoyed dabbling in I decided it was time to get the proper training and equipment and go full commit. Glad to have access to something like this forum because I dont know anyone local who share the same passion that I could learn from. Thank you all for the help

Quite frankly, you rarely if ever hear anyone say they regret buying an AI.

In your case, I would go AI. If you decide in the future that you want something else in a rifle, you can always build a custom.

I understand and agree with finding what fits but unfortunately I dont know any place remotely close to get the feel for the ax or a custom. I would be willing to travel any place I could get my hands on a bunch of different options, I just dont know where that would be. I guess I may be looking at this the wrong way. My thought was buy once cry once and get the very best out there scope,rifle, gear. Shooting long range is something that has intrested me and I have enjoyed dabbling in I decided it was time to get the proper training and equipment and go full commit. Glad to have access to something like this forum because I dont know anyone local who share the same passion that I could learn from. Thank you all for the help
That’s why the AI is easy button as Kthomas says. If you went straight to an AI, I’ll lay odds you’ll like it from the get go, and for a long time to come. The resale value of the AI, should you decide to sell it down the road, is way better than entitling else. You’re taking the long road if you go customs. You’ll constantly be tinkering, new shit will come out, the buying will continue. At this moment, I’d estimate I’m $50-60k down that road, and I began in the early 90’s. I laughed at the cost of AI’s then. Literally I thought it was a joke. When I was perhaps $30k down the road, in the late 2000’s, I finally bought my AW. That’s the rifle I’ll be buried with, and I’m an AXMC owner as well. Actually I just sold the MC. LOL.

AI is where its at.

So where are these good deals on the AI's. Supersubes Y did u sell ur axmc? I know what u mean with alot of money in the hole I sold 3 of my gas guns for just shy of 20k

Can't believe no one has said it yet, you assholes. :p Obvious answer is both! Universe dictates you will eventually have both, so....enjoy!

But on a serious note, first precision rifle I ever bought was an AI. Regret selling it to this day.

So where are these good deals on the AI's. Supersubes Y did u sell ur axmc? I know what u mean with alot of money in the hole I sold 3 of my gas guns for just shy of 20k

There have been some silly priced AT’s here. Usually there was something else going on that was draining people pockets. Like the AXMC blowout by Mile High and EuroOptics started, and is still doing I believe

As soon as the ASR’s drop, you’ll see some fire sales on AI rifles in the classifieds. Then it will stabilize and the old rifles will begin going up again.

I shoot short action cartridges 90% of the time. The AXMC just did nothing for me that my AW wouldn’t. Even though the weights are very similar, the MC feels like a boat anchor to me. The AW feels downright petite next to it. The original Mc barrel profile is pretty slight to make the PSR trials weight I believe. With equal barrels, the MC is a fair bit heavier. The only feature I really like about the MC in the right folding buttstock. That’s useful. None of the other stuff is useful to me. Full length rail, modular forend, etc. I’m in the extreme minority here on the hide in this regard.

as mentioned above, euro is selling AX demos for the mid 4K range(edit: apparently those are gone). That's almost 2k in savings.I don’t even think some of those have been shot, just showroom fondled.

Don’t get me wrong about the MC’s, they’re badass, and still better than most customs imo.

One other thing. Frequently the quick-loc gun’s here are sold separate from their barrels. Gives you some flexibility on caliber choice, since you can go buy your own fresh barrel very easily. Also, the large firing pin guns are a fair bit cheaper. Ax or AT pre 2014.

ASRs have been out since the start of 2019? I think you are referring to the AXSR?
What do u think about the axsr. I have thought about it and have no need for the long action now I just have to find the best deal I can. The axsr is long action as well correct

What do u think about the axsr. I have thought about it and have no need for the long action now I just have to find the best deal I can. The axsr is long action as well correct
Yes the AXSR is long action, and is the successor to the AXMC. It is not out yet and should be dropping soon. If you are not going to shoot LA I think it is unnecessary and the AX or AT will suffice. Below is a youtube video of the ASR. Most of the features should carry over to the AXSR

Reactions: Huskydriver
Yea man if your not shooting long action, just get an ax... But seriously the bolt throw difference is negligible and the weight is diff is tiny...

Axmc is worth it imo even if you "might" want some 300 Norma mag in your life one day

I can't comment on the PRS aspect of it. However I do love my ax308. I picked up both a axmc and the short action ax308. I sold the AXMC since I almost never shot long action cartridges.

I do like the classifieds on here. I dont think you would lose much if you picked up a used AI, and decided that you didn't like it.

Reactions: Supersubes
Yes, that’s what I mean. The big gun will come out, then a short version, then we’ll see the chassis come out etc. you could buy one of those, but that certainly won’t be the best deal.

I'll be in the minority, but the AXSR is going further down the same road the AXMC did. It doesn’t do anything I can’t live without. Great rifle, just not for me.

Wow I really need help I didnt know there was diffrent firing pin sizes or that they didnt have right fold I feel lost and am not sure where to start. If I spend that much money i got to get the best rig AI makes. I have been looking at mile high but I think there ax rifles are full price

Barrel blank availability and the option to run 6BR parent cases is why I stuck w/ the AX.

I think it would be cool as hell to run an ASR though.

Yea man if your not shooting long action, just get an ax... But seriously the bolt throw difference is negligible and the weight is diff is tiny...

Axmc is worth it imo even if you "might" want some 300 Norma mag in your life one day

Even more negligible with the new mags on the AXSR as you won’t have to cycle the bolt all the way. Just short stroke it until you clear the SA cartridge. Just depends on how you want to look at it and how you train with it. I shoot SA the majority of the time but will be getting a 300 PRC for the longer distances.

For me it makes the most sense financially because I only have to buy one scope and have no smith costs down the road. Definitely more up front because you have to buy the .308 bolt body at some point if you want to shoot SA cartridges. Just IMO.

Wow I really need help I didnt know there was diffrent firing pin sizes or that they didnt have right fold I feel lost and am not sure where to start. If I spend that much money i got to get the best rig AI makes. I have been looking at mile high but I think there ax rifles are full price

Its not a big deal. The change happened in 2014 for the AT/AX. Most people are savvy on it here, and place it in the ads, like the link I posted above.

What’s your realistic budget with scope?

Euro optics has everything in stock. Tons of axmc’s, and they’re listed at $6750 still, which is the sale price. I’m certain mile high has the same, you just have to call. They have ASR deployment kits as well.

Its not a big deal. The change happened in 2014 for the AT/AX. Most people are savvy on it here, and place it in the ads, like the link I posted above.

What’s your realistic budget with scope?

Euro optics has everything in stock. Tons of axmc’s, and they’re listed at $6750 still, which is the sale price. I’m certain mile high has the same, you just have to call. They have ASR deployment kits as well.
I dont really have a budget but 10k would be comfortable 9k would be better

I would pick up a used ax308. I wouldn't say there is a bubble that is about to burst on the axmc, but I would guess there is going to be less.demand as soon as the asr is out. I like the 3pos safety so I dont see much I would rather have over the current axmc if I wanted to shoot longer then a short action will allow.

I dont really have a budget but 10k would be comfortable 9k would be better
I’d eliminate the axsr then. I dont know the pricing but I’d be surprised if it was less than $8500 for just the rifle.
That euro package deal for the AX with your choice of two barrels, and a s&b 5-25 is $8k. That same rifle from their showroom demo page is 5300-5800 alone, the s&b will set you back $2800. With the package deal youre spending a little less overall, getting a free extra barrel, and a rifle nobody has touched.

You need to decide if you’re ever going to need a magum or super magnum cartridge though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Btmann45
I would pick up a used ax308. I wouldn't say there is a bubble that is about to burst on the axmc, but I would guess there is going to be less.demand as soon as the asr is out. I like the 3pos safety so I dont see much I would rather have over the current axmc if I wanted to shoot longer then a short action will allow.

I’m amazed how many axmc’s were built. I figured they’d have sold out of them in a few weeks when that sale started last year. Euro still has every color and variation in stock.

I would take an AX over the AXMC (and did, had both kept the short action), but the last time I talked to Mile High they still had a few demo AXMC's at $5500.

Might be worth a call to discuss what other demo items they may have if you're looking to save a buck.

Personally I own an AX308 with the factory 308 barrel and a Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. I have owned customs in the past; however, the AI just works and works all the time. I don't think I'll ever sell it like I did with my other rifles. Having an AI also gives you prefit options. Buy a Barrel already spun up and away you go. No downtime at a Smith. Saying that some customs now have prefits available. You really need to get behind heaps of different rifles and see what you like and talk to owners. Try a local club match if they are still on in your area or a national match. People are generally really happy to talk about their gear and let you have a feel. Good luck with your choices. Mine was AI and I'm sticking to it.

I’d eliminate the axsr then. I dont know the pricing but I’d be surprised if it was less than $8500 for just the rifle.
That euro package deal for the AX with your choice of two barrels, and a s&b 5-25 is $8k. That same rifle from their showroom demo page is 5300-5800 alone, the s&b will set you back $2800. With the package deal youre spending a little less overall, getting a free extra barrel, and a rifle nobody has touched.

You need to decide if you’re ever going to need a magum or super magnum cartridge though.
Where is this euro deal. I have looked and didnt see anything?

i think i want to go with a brand new setup if i paying that amount of money i want to be the first one to put my paws on it. talked to the guys at mile high yesterday i think i picked a setup. subject to change i had a new aiax in fde with a bartline 6mm creedmore barrel sphur rings and zero comp 5-27 with mpct 3 ret. also the thunder beast ultra 9 suppressor. let me know if u like it, if not what would u change. i want to get some serious training so i can compete on the prs level. is there a good place on the forum to ask what guys recommend as far as where to go and what programs to look at.

Reactions: kthomas and MPrimo
... it would be hard to improve on those pieces. That's gonna be a helluva rig!
Thanks MPrimo!! honestly i cant take credit it was the guys on her who got me going in the right direction. i really appreciate anyone who put in there input.

Personally I would forgo the Ultra9. If you want the maximum suppression and are okay w/ the Ultra 9 go with the 338 Ultra. If you are running a 26" 6CM barrel and a Ultra 9 / 338Ultra that thing is going to be long. Might want to look at a Ultra 7 or DOMINUS.

I highly doubt you will regret the AI purchase, but reticles are highly subjective and what appears to work well on a reticle card/paper might not be what your mind interprets through the lense. I am not knocking the MPCT3, this is just a general statement. I would highly recommend taking a look at optics before purchasing. More so than the rifle or suppressor.

Reactions: kthomas
Personally I would forgo the Ultra9. If you want the maximum suppression and are okay w/ the Ultra 9 go with the 338 Ultra. If you are running a 26" 6CM barrel and a Ultra 9 / 338Ultra that thing is going to be long. Might want to look at a Ultra 7 or DOMINUS.

I highly doubt you will regret the AI purchase, but reticles are highly subjective and what appears to work well on a reticle card/paper might not be what your mind interprets through the lense. I am not knocking the MPCT3, this is just a general statement. I would highly recommend taking a look at optics before purchasing. More so than the rifle or suppressor.
when i called mile high yesterday to get my quote i asked for the ultra 7. the guys logic to me made sense. he said he went with the ultra 9 on his because it is quieter and are you really going to notice that little extra length. im not sure i follow you on why u think i sould go with the .338. the only advantage that i could think of is maybe a greater internal volume. as far as the scope i would fly some place and look at all the scopes i am interested in before buying. right now thats not an option with covid. i will fork up the money and if its not right or i dont like it im sure after spending that amount of money surely they will let me exchange the scope.

he said he went with the ultra 9 on his because it is quieter and are you really going to notice that little extra length. im not sure i follow you on why u think i sould go with the .338. the only advantage that i could think of is maybe a greater internal volume.
Just extending the same logic you already explained. If you want max quiet and dont mind giving up a little size and weight going from the 7 to the 9 to get that extra quiet then going from the 9 to the 338 will only get you more of the quiet you are after.

Just at the penalty of size and weight.

when i called mile high yesterday to get my quote i asked for the ultra 7. the guys logic to me made sense. he said he went with the ultra 9 on his because it is quieter and are you really going to notice that little extra length. im not sure i follow you on why u think i sould go with the .338. the only advantage that i could think of is maybe a greater internal volume. as far as the scope i would fly some place and look at all the scopes i am interested in before buying. right now thats not an option with covid. i will fork up the money and if its not right or i dont like it im sure after spending that amount of money surely they will let me exchange the scope.

The 338 Ultra is almost the same length as the Ultra 9, just fatter around. For what its worth I have a 338 Ultra and DOMINUS on order for my AI AX in 6BR and 6.5CM. Best of both worlds.

Ultra 9 is 9", 338 Ultra is 10.4".
Ultra 9 OD 1.5", 338 Ultra OD 1.8".
Ultra 9 is 11.9oz, 338 Ultra is 16.9oz

The 338 Ultra will be even quiter than the Ultra 9 on a 6CM