• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Die Maker Recommendations?

sinister

Rifle Pointer
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2002
Midland, Georgia
Gents, I have cracked five separate Redding .338 Lapua Magnum sizing dies.

Redding has been excellent in that they have replaced them all promptly as I send them the dies and five fired and five re-sized cases.

They seem to fracture at the mouth, which then propagates up the die. The die walls are narrowest at the mouth below the threads. I have cracked the dies on both Redding T-7 and Ultra Mag presses (re-sizing Lapua-brand brass).

I have never had problems with my Forster .338 LM dies, but they don't size cases down to Sako TRG-42 dimensions if the cases were first-fired in something else (I can feed them into the chamber but it may be a bear closing the bolt handle or extracting the case -- I have broken one Sako bolt handle and one bolt catch screw/pin).

Since the Ultra Mag press has a die seat for 1.25-12 dies (7/8 dies are held in the press with a bushing, otherwise I think the bigger seat is for a .50 BMG) can anyone recommend a die maker who can custom do a 1.25-inch Small Base .338 Lapua Mag body sizing die?

Thanks.

Re: Custom Die Maker Recommendations?

I have used Neil Jones in the past, but never in something as large as 338 Lapua. You should try him, though. http://www.neiljones.com/

Warner Tool also makes custom dies. I have even read that Forster will custom cut dies, though I don't think I have ever read of anyone doing it, I believe they offer the service.

Whoever you use, you will need to send in thrice fired, non-FL sized cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Harrel's ?

http://www.harrellsprec.com/</div></div>

When I bought my Neil Jones, Harrel's only offered 6mm PPC and 6mm BR. It looks like he is offering a lot more now. Thanks for pointing me back that direction again.

There's really no peer to Alan's workmanship and dies. Just absolutely unbelieveable tools. Well worth the price tag involved.

Neil Jones makes nice stuff too but for what it is, the product is very similar to what Redding makes and there's no lead time with the Redding Comp Bushing Sets.

Thank you all, guys. My current back-and-forth e-mails to Redding say they won't replace the last die on warranty, so it looks like Al will get a call soon (pending final comms with Redding).

I appreciate everyone's help.

I have reloaded a couple thousand rounds of 338 Lapua with my redding dies and still going strong. Is the press caming over to hard? Or possibly experiancing case head/web expansion, causeing to high of a load on the die?

Also If you forster dies seem ok except for the lack of sizing, you could machine a couple thou off the bottom to get them to where you need them.

I dont know just some ideas! Wish you luck though.