• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Custom engraving

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Wanting to get some engraving done. The
Smith needs a pic of what I had in mind.
Do any of you guys have a pic of fancy engraving?
Fancy script put on barrels???

I remember chad posted some a while back when he was promoting a guy doing it for him. Shoot him a pm and he might have some pics still.

Certainly call Longrifles Inc. I had Chad program me some custom barrel engraving. It cost me a little extra, but it made my build.

Here's the deal on engraving with a CNC on curved surfaces like barrels or receivers.

On a 1.200 to 1.250 OD barrel cylinder your limited to around .750 to .825 of vertical space on the artwork. It has to fit in that work envelope otherwise you lose the effect. You want to be able to look at the engraving and instantly recognize it. If it's larger you end up rolling the gun or your neck to see it all and the whole idea goes away.

So, scaling the artwork becomes very important.

Scaling is easy, but its a double edge sword. If you send me a big ol JPEG or your chosen artwork, say a piece of "toon art" like Betty Boop (cuz she's hot!).

By the time I get Betty to fit in that vertical window she's going to look like a steel silhouette hammered to shit because any detail is going to washed out by the width of the engraving tool. At .003 to .005 depth its roughly .008 to .01 wide. Smaller tools do exist but they are a bit cranky to use as they erode so quickly. That and you need a zillion RPM on the spindle to use them that I just don't have. (20-40 K works nice)

-On that note there is an air driven Yuasa Cat40 spindle adapter that I used once that'll go to 100K but the noise is deafening. Bout like standing next to an F-4 Phantom on take off (my favorite jet as I grew up watching them take off all the time)

It's taken years of practice and dickering with this stuff to be able to dilute a piece of artwork to where it'll engrave and still deliver enough detail to send the message.

Fonts like Old English or heavily scrolled stuff also gets a bit "mushy" unless they are really big. Not much I can do about it when most character heights are .100".

Just stuff to consider.

C.

Jim downing and Jim Blair both do good engraving. They are not up to the level of Angelo Bee. But not bad. What style of engraving do you want? Hand or machine.

Here's the deal on engraving with a CNC on curved surfaces like barrels or receivers.

On a 1.200 to 1.250 OD barrel cylinder your limited to around .750 to .825 of vertical space on the artwork. It has to fit in that work envelope otherwise you lose the effect. You want to be able to look at the engraving and instantly recognize it. If it's larger you end up rolling the gun or your neck to see it all and the whole idea goes away.

So, scaling the artwork becomes very important.

Scaling is easy, but its a double edge sword. If you send me a big ol JPEG or your chosen artwork, say a piece of "toon art" like Betty Boop (cuz she's hot!).

By the time I get Betty to fit in that vertical window she's going to look like a steel silhouette hammered to shit because any detail is going to washed out by the width of the engraving tool. At .003 to .005 depth its roughly .008 to .01 wide. Smaller tools do exist but they are a bit cranky to use as they erode so quickly. That and you need a zillion RPM on the spindle to use them that I just don't have. (20-40 K works nice)

-On that note there is an air driven Yuasa Cat40 spindle adapter that I used once that'll go to 100K but the noise is deafening. Bout like standing next to an F-4 Phantom on take off (my favorite jet as I grew up watching them take off all the time)

It's taken years of practice and dickering with this stuff to be able to dilute a piece of artwork to where it'll engrave and still deliver enough detail to send the message.

Fonts like Old English or heavily scrolled stuff also gets a bit "mushy" unless they are really big. Not much I can do about it when most character heights are .100".

Just stuff to consider.

C.
This is why you call him....... He does this stuff enough to know these things. Anybody can tell you they can do it. It's different to have someone tell you what they can do, or can't, and if they try, why it wouldn't look right. Mine looked amazing.

Chad, I was referring to you promoting a guy that you knew in your area doing engraving. It was probably a year or more ago that you posted about him.

If your talking the engraving on Jarretts signature rifle that is all hand engraved, your going to spend $1000-2000 on that engraving depending if you want the gold or silver inlays. Pretty sure Kempfeld only does CNC engraving and see Chads post above, same rules apply.

The hand engraving is beautiful but very expensive work, and if you ever sell the rifle you will lose your ass on it. You could look up laser engraving and get a similar effect for a lot lower cost.

Bubb,

How "fancy" are you thinking of? Did you have in mind a basic scroll style pattern, or something more ornate?

FEGA has some very neat examples of different hand engraved pieces available to look at, here:
FEGA Master Engraver Photo Gallery

You could also take a look through the Engraver's Cafe forums for some different, sometimes unique ideas:
The Engraver's Cafe - The World's Largest Hand Engraving Community - Featured Articles From the Forum

I'm by no means a FEGA level engraver, but I have been known to cut a few lines; here's an old in-progress photo of a Silver/22K inlay on a S&W Model 19. The head is about 3/4" tall, if I recall.

Chad, I was referring to you promoting a guy that you knew in your area doing engraving. It was probably a year or more ago that you posted about him.

It was a few years ago. Jimmy has returned from a 3x year tour of Europe. He's stateside again but isn't setup. He's down in TX presently.

Sorry bud.

Best bet, if you looking for "real" stuff and not the piddly cartoony shit I do, just get your wallet thawed out and dive in with someone known/good.

Good luck

C.

That's just a different font set on a Pantograph. If your gunsmith uses a pantograph to engrave the caliber markings or makers mark, then he may very well have another type set to use.