• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

custom gear fabric question

Re: custom gear fabric question

I need enough for some pouches, possibly a chest rig. I'm trying to create two matching rigs for future deployments. I know doing big stuff like a Flack would'nt fly, but my unit is so bo-bo on supply that basically everyone has different gear, so I doubt some custom MARPAT kit would be a problem.

I need enough to make the following in both woodland and desert MARPAT (all fasioned after the stuff made by Eagle):

M4 Mag pouch x4
Grenade pouch x4
Possibly a Chest Rig (SKD All-Molle Version)

I don't know how feasable this endeavor is, but I'd like to look into it as a possibility. Thanks! S/F

Rockywoods has "official" Woodland MARPAT in 725D. It will work fine for your purposes.

Their Desert Digital is very close to Desert MARPAT, but it does not have embedded EGA's. I seriously doubt that will be a problem.

Rockywoods can send you samples.

You gonna sew all that yourself? If so, make sure you're using an commercial grade machine. I've sewn a couple of ghillies using 1000D Multicam for front reinforcement paneling on a home-grade machine, and it was a major bi#$h. The needles would break, and the fabric and thread would bind cause the foot or whatever wouldn't feed the thick material well enough. Also, good 60 weight nylon thread will keep everything together very nicely. Just a couple of tips. Good luck.
smile.gif

I may have some mag pouchs that would suit your needs. I will look and let you know. If I do, ill send them to you. Only thing is they are Coyote Brown.

You can do it with a home machine, but you need to be careful with the design. A home machine won't tolerate a bunch of layers and PALS webbing. You also won't be able to use any plastic reinforcement.

I sewed a lot of 1000D on a Brother home machine with size 18 needles and bonded #69 thread. Keeping correct tension was a pain. Tangles were a regular occurrence and I hand wheeled the machine a LOT.

When I upgraded to a older (1970's drop feed) cast iron industrial it was much better. When I moved up to my current machine (a modern walking foot with reverse) it opened up a much broader range of capabilities. That machine can sew through plastic without even slowing. I am glad my fingers won't fit under the feet. I am sure it would stitch me to my work without even blinking.

http://www.diytactical.com is a great source for info on this kind of stuff. The forum moves a lot slower than others, but there are some highly skilled craftsman on there. Their creativity amazes me.

Exact same problems I had. What I would have given to have a better machine at the time. And now that you mention it, I think it was #69 thread I was using.
confused.gif

I'm gonna have to check out diytactical.com. Sounds interesting.