• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Hunting/Range Build, Defiance or TL3?

welldonecj7

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2013
Oregon
I working on piecing together a long action hunting rifle, going to be running a proof carbon barrel and manners stock. I have been looking at defiance anTi, defiance rukus and the bighorn/zermatt Tl3.

The rifles main purpose is big game hunting and want it to be somewhat light for packing. However rifle will also be used for some longer range target shooting. Leaning towards 300prc but 300 win or 300 norma still being considered.

Why I am looking at TL3: controlled round feed and dlc coating, prefit barrels.

Why I am looking at Defiance: anTi will save weight over both others, rukus saves some couple oz over the tl3 (but a few oz isnt a problem if other choice is a better fit). Availible prefit barrels for both. Availible in 0.750 bolt so possible to go with 300 norma if wanted to, (I know not possible with a tl3).

Do not have plans to swap bolt faces as any of calibers I'm looking to shoot are magnums. What is the general impression on best option for action for my build?

I am making the same sort of choices and don't really have a recommendation just a few considerations.

Proof is back-ordered until October.

No 300 Norma Mag prefit barrels from Proof for either.

I shoot the 300 NM in an AXMC but for hunting I went 300 PRC.

The Manners T5A fit my purpose best.

I suspect you could flip a coin and be happy but I can't get past what I perceive to be the Defiance bolt binding with bolt fully retracted. Just me I know but I put my thumb on the back of the bolt with my Defiance actions. For me, that ruled out Defiance even though I really like controlled round feed.

The SR3 will work better for top loading if BDL.

In the end, I decided to wait for a long action from Impact. Shhhh.

Yea the 300 norma not being prefit is a consideration. All of my parts will be a long wait as defiance is out 3 to 5 months depending which action tl3 is at least 8 weeks, manners stock will be a while once ordered.

Is the impact la likely to be similar weight as current ones? Those are all pretty heavy in comparison.

Any thoughts on defiance anTi having machined sections out of the recoil lug in regards to long term durability behind a bigger magnum?

TL3 only takes aics mags. Automatically knocks it off my list of actions for a lightweight hunting build. Something to keep in mind unless you want to run aics mags.

You can cut your Manners lead time by watching their online store for the appropriate ready to ship or flat top stock.

Yea the 300 norma not being prefit is a consideration. All of my parts will be a long wait as defiance is out 3 to 5 months depending which action tl3 is at least 8 weeks, manners stock will be a while once ordered.

Is the impact la likely to be similar weight as current ones? Those are all pretty heavy in comparison.

Any thoughts on defiance anTi having machined sections out of the recoil lug in regards to long term durability behind a bigger magnum?

Weight was not an overriding consideration within reason for me.

BDL was a must have for me which saves weight.

I would trust Defiance to have worked that out.

I have had 2 coated Defiance. Also bad bolt binding... sold both rifles. I am now only using Surgeons and Lone Peak actions from here on out. I have a Lone Peak TI LA mag being built in 7 MAX w Proof barrel for a LW hunting rig.

Ck out HS Precision mag system. Not much weight difference to a BDL setup.

I have had 2 coated Defiance. Also bad bolt binding... sold both rifles. I am now only using Surgeons and Lone Peak actions from here on out. I have a Lone Peak TI LA mag being built in 7 MAX w Proof barrel for a LW hunting rig.

Ck out HS Precision mag system. Not much weight difference to a BDL setup.

Where these issues with the defiance bolts recent models or older ones? Which model defiance actions were they? What type of coating?

Following as I just ordered a defiance ruckus and a proof pre fit for a 7mag build. Curious which model defiance actions had the issue like welldonecj7 asked.

I’ve never messed with a tl3 but I’m also wanting to build out a shorty 6.5 and considering one as I hear they feel amazing. Love how defiance feel though..

One was a Gap Templar made by Defiance cerokoted. I believe Gap no longer Cerokotes the bolts. 2nd was a $1800 Defiance Deviant 338 action Ion bonded w internal polishished rails from Defiance. Nice actions but to tight for my liking. Action was 2 years old. Defiance did want me to send it back in but ended up just selling the Barreled Action. I’m sticking w what has worked for me in the past.

Take a close look at whether they use a trigger hangar or pins. The hangars will interfere with a lot of stock/chassis options. That might help you narrow it down if you want a drop in/no mod solution.

I just picked up two nitride treated Ruckus actions and they don’t bind at all. GA Hunter type with split integral bases and hollowed bolt handle. Here is the Medium action with short mag bolt face

DF60C301-AC29-40A6-BBFC-7F32D18CC027.jpeg

Anyone have experience with the terminus kratos lite? I know this is outside original brands and 3 lug but curious as to how people feel they compair? Have heard good things in my initial research