• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

custom(ish) Tikka t3

beretta_man11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
MS
So- I wanted to build a lightweight hunting rifle off the Tikka t3 because the thing just feels so good.
I found a 308 and shot it as a factory gun but had already planned on rebarreling, NO need, the thing shot 1/2" with factory ammo.
I shipped it out to Kampfeld Customs to flute the barrel, bolt, cut 2" off and add a brake. The work he did was amazing.. oh. and he is a super nice guy!
Like I said, I needed a lightweight so I pondered on stocks for a while and decided to hack my factory stock up a bit to see how it turns out.
So far so good, I cut about 2" off the forearm and took a belt sander to the rest of the forearm taking out about 1/2" or so. I don't have the same scale that I used originally but in its stock form, it was 1.8lbs. I hope i'm closer to the 1.25lb(?) range now. It reminds me of the Axiom in a way. I don't have to worry about free floating anymore. Strength still feels like it's there although it can't possibly be as strong as it was. I see no issue as of YET.
Here are a couple iphone pics.
Please excuse the paint, that was my first attempt at a Krylon job which didn't turn out as I wanted.
(these are DNZ 30mm rings and I have a 2.5-16x42 elite that goes on it. I know that's not a superlight scope but that was the one place I decided lighter doesn't equal better)
Anyone have any DIY ideas to shed even more weight?
I'll post more pictures when I finish the repaint.

BEFORE
before-1.jpg

AFTER
after.jpg

stock.jpg

SIDE
forearm.jpg

SIDE
action.jpg

Re: custom(ish) Tikka t3

Thanks!

Very keen eye there, I'm suprised you saw them since they are camel'flauged and all...

Oh- I weighed a couple of the items on my powder scale last night:

removed forearm tip= 0.88oz (not as much as i had hoped for...)
Brake= 1.568oz
DNZ rings/base= 3.019

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks!

Very keen eye there, I'm suprised you saw them since they are camel'flauged and all... </div></div>

Truth be known I have a couple pairs of camo crocks myself. I've been given a hard time before as well,LOL.

That is a great looking rifle. I love the T3 action, and combined with the weight make a perfect backpack hunting rifle.

Thanks guys! After my elk hunt with a 13Lb rifle, I decided it was time for a change and get something easy to carry!