• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom LA Win M70 Rebarrel options

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    My first custom rifle was built on a LA Win M70 Push feed.
    It was a rifle my dad got me to hunt with when I was a kid, originally chambered in .243, and it's been one of my favorites ever since getting it RE-Built.
    I've since done multiple others, and this one just doesn't quite get the love it once did, so when the barrel is toast (doesn't take long) I'm going to re barrel to a different caliber. Lets be honest, it's too fast to compete with, the long bolt and 5rd mags just don't work for competition...and I've since built lighter weight, more adequate (heavier bullet), and more maneuverable (shorter OAL) hunting rifles.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE in precision bolt action rifles.

22 Creedmoor
    6 Creedmoor
    6 x 284 (The rifle in question)
    6.5 Creedmoor x 2
    6.5 Sweedmoor
    6.5 PRC x 3
    7mm Rem Mag

I reload, so clearly, that's an issue that is of no concern...but I'm really considering a fast twist quarter bore when it's time for a new pipe.
    Leaning toward a simple swap from the current 6x284 which is sending a 115 Dtac at about 3300... to an 18" 25x284 to run a 130-135gr bullet.
    Should be a little more compact and a little better suited for hunting as it will likely never see competition again.
    I did also consider the old 25-06 with the same twist, but the H2O capacity is virtually identical and the x284 is more efficient.
    Any other LONG ACTION, Standard Bolt Face cartridges worth considering?

The first barrel as done at 19" and I actually used it to compete for a year. Ran a solid 1100 rounds at 3100 fps and died mid shooting match.
    FB_IMG_1607756350347.jpg

Took my SD Mule deer at 485 no problem
    FB_IMG_1607756333248.jpg

2nd barrel was 22", swapped glass a few times, and added a Manners.
    FB_IMG_1607756314820.jpg
    IMG_20180417_215528_737.jpg

This is how it sits today, with the last few rounds of life nearly exhausted.
    FB_IMG_1610773778607.jpg

Man, it would be really hard for me to give up my 6-284 (I run the 112 Match Burners). It's been one of my favorite calibers for as long as I can remember. But, the cool factor wouldn't be lost on a 25-284 either. I say do it, why the hell not? If it sucks, you can always go back to the 6-284.

t

Reactions: blksno
    Boy it hurts when you say the ”old” .25-06 since I purchased one of the first Remington Rifles produced in that caliber in the early 70’s. (BDL, smooth as glass, far more accurate than any rifle made 50 years ago deserves to be) Still, I just don’t feel that old. Talk to me about old, maybe in about 30 years. (I’ll be 103 and at that time I probably might consider slowing down just a bit. Maybe retire the Time Trial bike)

Not sure that the equally old 6.5x284 might be a good choice since you are already so much into 6.5 calibers. Of course there are the two standbys, both of which require a bolt change, the .264 Win and the 6.5 Remington. The big Winchester begs for a fast twist barrel and the little Remington matches the 6.5 x 284 in case capacity. Would require a bolt change, though. However, the much maligned rebated rim would no longer be an issue. (Not that it was ever a real issue but gun writers seem to think so and everyone knows, gun writers know it all)

........ However, the much maligned rebated rim would no longer be an issue. (Not that it was ever a real issue but gun writers seem to think so and everyone knows, gun writers know it all)

HAHA, I was sitting here going: "What issue?"

t

Man, it would be really hard for me to give up my 6-284 (I run the 112 Match Burners). It's been one of my favorite calibers for as long as I can remember. But, the cool factor wouldn't be lost on a 25-284 either. I say do it, why the hell not? If it sucks, you can always go back to the

we'll see how things look this spring, but I'm pretty much set on the x284 case....it just makes sense with a 135gr pill

Reactions: T J
    we'll see how things look this spring, but I'm pretty much set on the x284 case....it just makes sense with a 135gr pill
    I don't disagree with you. I'm looking forward to what you put together. 25-284 with a 135 sounds pretty bad ass.

t

I would go 25-284 that combo will kill anything in North America and kick ass doing it. I have been thinking about doing one myself.

Reactions: Temper
    I wonder what kind of velocity you could get with that 135 grain 25 cal bullet

I wonder what kind of velocity you could get with that 135 grain 25 cal bullet
    Well I want to keep it in the 18" range, so it wont be a laser, but 3000+ should be pretty easy with the right powder.

Reactions: 2c1fr
    I need to follow this thread for ideas. I have the same rifle, same story. It's ready to get slicked up and hanging a new barrel.

What bottom metal do you have with your Manners?
    I have two. My 7mm is running CDI and my 6x284 has PTG (or vice versa) Not sure who still makes them, but I think PTG might have done a Gen2 version since I got mine. It's been a while since I looked.

I was going to suggest the 25-06 but you mention there is not much to gain going that route over the 25-284 so I guess not.

6.5x55 improved is an option
    6.5-284 norma is an option too

If you decide to go big and try play around with ELR, you could try 30-06 since it used a standard bolt face.

I was going to suggest the 25-06 but you mention there is not much to gain going that route over the 25-284 so I guess not.

6.5x55 improved is an option
    6.5-284 norma is an option too

If you decide to go big and try play around with ELR, you could try 30-06 since it used a standard bolt face.
    Already run a 6.5x55 Imp....its the 6.5 Addiction / 6.5 Sweedmoor
    with the number of 6.5s i already have...I don't really see a reason to do another. The 25 is just interesting now with better bullet selections

Reactions: stello1001