• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Custom, Matching Sidearm/Long-Gun (1911) Set--Any Interest?

bmac1911

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Lately I've been wondering if there's any interest in truly custom matching 'rifle & pistol' sets.

I've been building custom 1911's for a long time, the kind of which I can guarantee 10-shot, 1.5" (or better) groups at 50 yds (the given being match-ammo, of course :p)---not that lame 15 yard stuff (y'all would never believe that the '1 hole' was 10 shots), ha! I am off the radar of any civilian 'peers' because I am military and don't generally do this as a 'business'--so you can ask me my name, but you won't find much. I am set to retire soon, and have been training my replacement - who is a member of this site and told me this was the place to go for people who know their stuff. He IS a 'long-gun' guy (unlike myself) who is not a stranger to stupid-accuracy either, when it comes to the broomsticks.

We have been toying, off and on, with the idea of creating a truly custom 'set'--either AR & 1911 or bolt & 1911 (1911 Cal's would be 45 or 9mm). Each retarded accurate, obviously, but final finishing in the same 'motif'...even branded parts, where plausible--probably housed in a Pelican w/custom cutouts, along with accessories and test targets. We talked about 'just doing it' - but I'd hate for us to sink the time and $$ into it if there's absolutely no interest in such a thing. Let's face it, the pistol alone would barely be covered in the $2K range, based on what's out there.

So, basically, I'm just seeing if there's be any interest. This ois my first post on the Hide, so if I put it in the wrong spot - sorry :)

1) It's been done before by Nighthawk/KAC I think.
2) I don't know how this will go over/if it's allowed.

You might do fantastic work, but you might have a hard time finding people who are willing to put $2k+ into a pistol built by an unknown gunsmith. Post some pics of your work and who is shooting your guns, and you might get some interest.

1) I've seen matching sets before, I know it's not a 'new' idea -- but none I've seen go far enough, in my opinion. Primarily I've seen 'color' matching, same colors used - maybe grips, that kinda thing. I'd be looking at going a lot further - i.e. pistol front-strap treatment repeated on the rifle; adapting the rifle's muzzle-break to the pistol, etc. Of course - current sets I've seen may be just as far as people "need" them to go, and nobody is interested in 'overkill', ha!

2) Yea, being a no-name has it's pro's and cons ' but like I tried to say - at the moment I'm not selling or pricing anything anything. But I completely get seeing pictures. I'll see if I can manage to slap up a couple of the last 1911 9mm I did - keep in mind, the shot group is 10 shots at 50 yards.

IMAG0005.jpgIMAG0006.jpgIMAG0009.jpgIMAG0011.jpg

Had to jump in on this one just to lend some insight.. in this forum world and commercial market, Bmac may be relatively nameless, but in Bullseye 1911 building, he's probably not as unknown as he claims to be.. I actually have seen his work and to say capable of 1.5" is great.. But I've personally seen a 45 of his craftsmanship pull sub 1" at 50 through 10 rounds.. if any of you guys hit Perry for NRA nationals this year you'll see a few of his in action too :)