• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom or Trued Remington

ksator22

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2010
Hey guys,

I have been lurking a while and decided to sign on.

I am looking into getting a custom rifle and wanted to know if it is much better to buy a rifle with a custom action like the Templar or a trued Remington action? Seems they cost about the same. (Trued Remington a little less)

I have been looking into tac ops and gap.

Looking into purchasing a custom tactical style 308 rifle 18-22in bbl. Just for fun.

In my opinion if I'm drooping the big green I should have a custom action if the price point is similar(within $500) but I am no expert and have been wrong before.

Thanks

Ps (I have used the search function)

Re: Custom or Trued Remington

If you have the cash go ahead and get the custom action. Lawton, Stiller, Borden, Defiance Machine (GAP), Nesika, Surgeon all make great actions and worth the extra coin.

(The trued remmy is a great way to go if you need to watch your money but still want top accuracy. )

If you have the money the two manufactures you mentioned are great rifles but there are smiths on the Hide that make quality rifles too. If you look through the Bolt Rifles section you will see all kinds of built rifle that are nice. If you get a quality precision build you will know the difference of quality when you get it and never look back. Just look at the for sale section on the Hide and you will see all kinds of nice rifles to buy.

Thanks for the information guys (M45 and Jstars7).

I will look into the bolt rifles on the hide as well.

I am all about saving money but if I am going to put down $3500-$4000 I think I shall get a rifle with a custom action.

If you want the BALZ buy a Surgeon 591. Perhaps the truest cleanest tightest tolerance action. There are others out there lawton, stiller, templar that are great too. But as my dad always said, "Son, second place ain't a winner."

Would you fellows say the customs are just as durable/reliable as one another? I would take durability longevity over supreme accuracy.

But would prefer both
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K.B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you fellows say the customs are just as durable/reliable as one another? I would take durability longevity over supreme accuracy.

But would prefer both
smile.gif

</div></div>

They are all about the same. Any one of those actions will be as accurate as you can get and outlast your lifetime. You son will thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K.B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you fellows say the customs are just as durable/reliable as one another? I would take durability longevity over supreme accuracy.

But would prefer both
smile.gif

</div></div>

They are all about the same. Any one of those actions will be as accurate as you can get and outlast your lifetime. You son will thank you. </div></div>

Nice,

I saw you posted a picture of a sweet looking desert colored rifle. I am in socal as well and was curious if you bought it locally.

Don't forget if you are buying the "Rifle" and not just the action, Be sure to look at the wait time. It may take over a year to get the rifle from some of the custom gun shops. There are a lot of respected builders on here but, because of that they are swamped with orders and builds. I took my action to Roscoe @ Louisiana Precision Rifles LLC, a hide sponsor, and he seems to have a shorter build time and is well respected. This is just my experience. Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nightmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget if you are buying the "Rifle" and not just the action, Be sure to look at the wait time. It may take over a year to get the rifle from some of the custom gun shops. There are a lot of respected builders on here but, because of that they are swamped with orders and builds. I took my action to Roscoe Louisiana Precision Rifles LLc, a hide sponsor, and he seems to have a shorter build time and is well respected. This is just my experience. Good Luck </div></div>

I will keep that in mind as well when I get to the knuckle down and buy it stage. That is a good point though as I would not like a one year wait.

Hide sponsors and members will be considered in the purchasing process. Just trying to get some good information and it is working.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K.B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K.B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you fellows say the customs are just as durable/reliable as one another? I would take durability longevity over supreme accuracy.

But would prefer both
smile.gif

</div></div>

They are all about the same. Any one of those actions will be as accurate as you can get and outlast your lifetime. You son will thank you. </div></div>

Nice,

I saw you posted a picture of a sweet looking desert colored rifle. I am in socal as well and was curious if you bought it locally.
</div></div>

No not locally, I had GAP (K.C. Missouri) build me this .308 a couple years ago. It's a nesika action (cause I'm a lefty and options are limited) with a broughton barrel, jewel trigger, A5 stock, atlas bipod, badger thruster brake.. (cost me around $4k to have it built but that includes a $250 fee to make it a lefty and the nesika action is about $300 more expensive than most, which doesn't mean that it's better, just pricer.) You could get a stick like this built by GAP (or other name brand bulder, R&D, RWS, Borden) for about $3400.

GAP1-1.jpg

GAP3-2.jpg

Now this one is the .260 I just had rebuilt by R&D (he is Socal local and a great guy/builder) and it's on a trued Remy 700 action, which was insanely accurate as a .308. You could build one like this in righty for about $2900.

3-4.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

Those are really great looking rifles. Thanks for giving me the skinny on them.

I know they are different calibers but which one do you like better? Just curious.

Your desert camo rifle is what I envisioned for my self as far as caliber and color.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K.B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are really great looking rifles. Thanks for giving me the skinny on them.

I know they are different calibers but which one do you like better? Just curious.

Your desert camo rifle is what I envisioned for my self as far as caliber and color.

</div></div>

I would recommend buying a .308 for your first build. Match ammo is easy to come by and when you decide to reload there's lots places to get components. Also the barrel life runs over the 6000 round mark. It's a great all around stick.

As I see it, the .260 has really only one use... moving up into the rankings at tactical comps. Those things shoot flat, the BC is really high and the bullets/recoil are light so they are great for keeping hits on target. The barrel life is usually under 2k.

Get the .308 to start.

I second Lawton. Give them a call. I don't think you would have to wait long. If you decide to go with them, have them do the whole thing. Get the barreled action and then have it bedded and mounted in whatever stock you prefer. I bought my Lawton used but like new condition. It is excellent to say the least. Built like a tank and accurate. Predator Custom in TN put it together. They do quality work. I would also highly reccomend them. Jim at Predator will take care of you. One more positve note, Predator has pretty good prices for services as well.