• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Custom reamer necessary

darkhorse95

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2017
I told my smith i want to be shooting 130gr hybrids out of my .260 at or below mag lengh. Ive played with all kinds of bullets but for me im set on the 130gr hybrids. I also told him i dont want to turn necks and ill be using alpha or lapua brass (both have 15-16 thou neck thicknesses) so whatever clearance he thinks i need im fine with so long as its not too tight as i shoot PRS style and there's dirt, dust, rain and all kinds lf other crap that may find its way in my action.

He told me in order to do a proper job id need to buy a custom reamer which is around $200.

Ive had others tell me theres no need for a custom reamer and i wont have anything to gain from it.

So do I buy the custom reamer, which im really not opposed to, or use a "generic" reamer and save myself 200 bucks.
63230f1ac5d8446744ce51c75b2dea13.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Custom reamer is a good idea with your heart set on a specific bullet, brass and purpose.

See if he will split a portion of the cost then he keeps the reamer.

How many times do you see yourself rebarreling in 260? If you like to tinker and find yourself jumping from caliber to caliber, then buying your own reamer doesn't make a lot of sense if you can find an off the shelf one that works. But if you think in your lifetime you'll rebarrel a half dozen times or more it will be nice to know you have the exact same chamber and your reamer will always cut fresh.

How many times do you see yourself rebarreling in 260? If you like to tinker and find yourself jumping from caliber to caliber, then buying your own reamer doesn't make a lot of sense if you can find an off the shelf one that works. But if you think in your lifetime you'll rebarrel a half dozen times or more it will be nice to know you have the exact same chamber and your reamer will always cut fresh.
Ill have at minimum 4-6 barrel chambered in the next 10 years in .260. If i keep the .260 as what i only use for prs and dont switch to a 6mm then maybe even more.

As far as body dimensions go, a saami reamer is correct for lapua brass(cant speak for alpha, never used it). Lapua .260 brass is .004 larger in diamter at the loaded neck (.295 lapua vs .291 for domestic) and web(just above the extractor groove). Most .260 "match" reamers, have a .295 neck for domestic brass. Obviously too small for lapua. Saami neck diameter for a .260, as best I can tell, is .298. My AINA .260 barrel appears to have a .297 neck.

Regarding freebore, most match reamers seem to have around .100, which works fine in an AICS magazine with tangent ogive bullets. You'll have to jump vlds at that freebore. My reamer has .080, and pulls double duty with tangent ogive bullets, and the longest vld's, pretty well in an AW magazine, but is too long for those VLD's in an AICS mag. If i were shooting the heaviest vld's exclusively in AW mags, id shorten that about .020".

You can take measurements of a dummy round seated to your target length, to determine what freebore you want. Just remember to consider the space between the end of your case(trim length) and the end of the 45 deg transition where the chamber meets the freebore. My trim length is 2.025. My chamber length is .025 longer than my case length. The 45 degree transition is .015 long. So with .080 worth of freebore ground into my reamer, my effective freebore is actually .120, as an example.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a quality cambering job never ever allow a "Gunsmiths House Reamer" to cut your chamber. Buy the reamer an proper head-space Gage, send them with the barrel an never look back.

I have custom reamers for all of my F Class rifles which were made to specific dimensions. I go through several barrels a year and have new barrels blanks shipped directly to the smith (Pierce Engineering) who built the rifles for chambering. Send them my reamer and all of the chambers are cut the same barrel to barrel and no need to send the receiver. Generally have the new barrels back in two weeks or so.

If your going to chamber a few barrels I would for sure by a reamer you can call your reamer maker and explain what you are wanting to do and they will know what will work or you could send them a dummy round and they can make exactly what you need and then all your future barrels will be the same good luck

As far as body dimensions go, a saami reamer is correct for lapua brass(cant speak for alpha, never used it). Lapua .260 brass is .004 larger in diamter at the loaded neck (.295 lapua vs .291 for domestic) and web(just above the extractor groove). Most .260 "match" reamers, have a .295 neck for domestic brass. Obviously too small for lapua. Saami neck diameter for a .260, as best I can tell, is .298. My AINA .260 barrel appears to have a .297 neck.

Regarding freebore, most match reamers seem to have around .100, which works fine in an AICS magazine with tangent ogive bullets. You'll have to jump vlds at the freebore. Mine reamer has .080, and pulls double duty with tangent ogive bullets, and the longest vld's, pretty well in an AW magazine, but is too long for those VLD's in an AICS mag. If i were shooting the heaviest vld's exclusively in AW mags, id shorten that about .020".

You can take measurements of a dummy round seated to your target length, to determine what freebore you want. Just remember to consider the space between the end of your case(trim length) and the end of the 45 deg transition where the chamber meets the freebore. My trim length is 2.025. My chamber length is .025 longer than my case length. The 45 degree transition is .015 long. So with .080 worth of freebore ground into my reamer, my effective freebore is actually .120, as an example.
Thank you, this gives me a good idea on why a custom reamer would be good. my alpha and lapua brass all come out to be the same loaded up, .295 like you said.
I just need to figure out freebore and all that, but ill have a smith do measurements for me since id probably screw something up.

I have custom reamers for all of my F Class rifles which were made to specific dimensions. I go through several barrels a year and have new barrels blanks shipped directly to the smith (Pierce Engineering) who built the rifles for chambering. Send them my reamer and all of the chambers are cut the same barrel to barrel and no need to send the receiver. Generally have the new barrels back in two weeks or so.
For some reason i wasnt able to message you personally, would you mind my asking who you had make your custom reamer?

Ive been referred to PTG a lot but ive had some people say they dont put put the best stuff anymore.

For some reason i wasnt able to message you personally, would you mind my asking who you had make your custom reamer?

Ive been referred to PTG a lot but ive had some people say they dont put put the best stuff anymore.

pt&g makes good stuff, its the ordering process and customer service that sucks.

Manson and Jgs will nake whatever you like, and are easy to deal with.

Thank you, this gives me a good idea on why a custom reamer would be good. my alpha and lapua brass all come out to be the same loaded up, .295 like you said.
I just need to figure out freebore and all that, but ill have a smith do measurements for me since id probably screw something up.

Once he comes up with your numbers, check with the reamer manufacturer, as they may already have what you need. It'll save you about $50, as opposed to doing a one off special. Manson and JGS have been really good about sending me prints for research/comparison purposes prior to ordering. If you try that with ptg, it will likely take three phone calls and as many months to accomplish.

Ive talked too a ton of people in the last few days and everyone says JGS is the way to go. Great reviews from manson as well.

If i have the bullet and the case drawings and know im loading at or near mag lengh would JGS know how to draw something up for me or would i need a smith to do that for me?

You guys are an amazing help, thank you for helping me out. As you can tell ive never ordered a reamer before lol.

The best thing to do is send your dummy round to the reamer manufacturer. I've done this with Manson a couple times. I also spent some time with them on the phone and came up with a good reamer. They have most bullet dimensions in their program and can come up with a good design without a dummy round. But, a dummy round leaves no question unanswered for them.