• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Custom Rifle Builders

ARodPDT117

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I am looking into having a custom hunting rifle built. Can you guys name me some companies you would recommend so I can look into them. I appreciate the help. Take care and happy hunting.

Re: Custom Rifle Builders

See Sig
smile.gif

ha ha thanks, GAP does not need an introduction. I should have mentioned that. I know of GAP, Christenarms, Best of the West but was wondering if there are any others out there I should look into.

I'd call Mark or BlackOps Precision (formerly Underground Skunkworks). There's a division of Black Ops that is named "Wild Call Rifles" (don't quote me on the actual name) but it's the same guys building precision hunting rifles.

Give Jon Beanland a look. His rifles shoot, very reasonable price and quick turn around time. You can search him out here on the hide.

I would suggest Robert Gradous at gradousrifles.com. He's extremely knowledgeable and his primary work is hunting rifles. He also can make high end tactical rifles. I sent him my REM 700 which was shooting about 1moa and now its .5moa after he fiddled with it. I'd wager if I got one of his full custom rigs, it'd be even better. They're pricey, but he has excellent service, skill, and only uses top end components.

Give him a call and he'll help you out.

I'm very happy with my American Precision Arms hunting rifle. It's a .284 that is an absolute dream to shoot - just got a nice buck with it last week. Call Jered Joplin at 706.367.8881.

thanks to everyone for the options, I will start mulling them over and see what to go with. I appreciate the help and advice. Take Care.

I chose Mike Bush (Wild Call custom rifles) for my hunting rifle build and am happy with my decision.

shooting008.jpg

I'm pretty sold on GAP. The one on the left is a lightweight .260 built on a Templar action. The right is a Surgeon action .308 built by Eric Reid when he worked at GA Precision.

Nathan Dagley of Straight Shot Gunsmithing does a fabulous job. If you dont mind the time to wait as he usually has a backlog.
Jon Beanland just did another gun for me and turnaround was impressive and work looks great as well. I will shoot it Sunday. Lots of SH recommend him and his work.

Timberghost_2011_3.jpg

I use a .284 built by Jered Joplin at American Precision Arms. Pretty happy with it.

Triple6 here on the 'Hide did the fit and finish on this Krieger #8, and trued up the action...I did the stock work, which began life as a McM kevlar mountain.

IMG_0701-Copy.jpg

Seems to shoot pretty well....500 yards, 1.28" center to center.

500yds83112.jpg

Robert Gradous seems to be well respected when it comes to building hunting rifles.

I've got a .308 and 6.5 x 47 lapua that Jered at APA built for me and they both get the job done. My wife uses the 6.5 and she goes for head shots out to 400 yards or so
smile.gif

I just had a 6.5x47 done by John Beanland. This guy can build. By far the best gun i have ever shot. Give him a call.

I LOVE my gap Non Typical for a hunting rifle, cant say enough about it. I know GAP has been mentioned and you clearly know about them from your post. But I give two thumbs up to Non typical

mygap2-1.jpg

GAP, Jon Beanland, and RW Snyder, all very good riflesmiths.

Here is another High 5 for Jon Beanland who put together a 7mm-08 for me thats sure a heck of a shooter. Or if you have time to wait, Karl Feldkamp @ Kampfeld Customs builds a heck of a nice rifle, just got a .243 from him and couldn't be any happier with how it shoots.

I have to say Mark at Short Action Customs is the only smith I go with. The man is an artist when it comes to his machining abilities. Here is a picture of the latest rifle he has built for me. It is a surgical instrument in every way.
ehlwev.jpg

I have owned pretty much all the big name custom builders out there and have not been disappointed in any really but pound for pound Mcwhorter custom rifles have been the most accurate and the best fit and finish ive ever shot . thanks Dustin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wannabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just had a 6.5x47 done by John Beanland. This guy can build. By far the best gun i have ever shot. Give him a call.</div></div>

No, don't give him a call...... He's getting way too famous and us Oklahoma boys are having some pretty long wait times for builds because of all the "out of towners".

Honestly, Beanland is a awesome smith and very down to earth. He builds a great rifle and does a great 6.5x47 chamber.

I've been quite happy with the lightweight rifles from Rifles, Inc. out of Texas.

http://riflesinc.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty sold on GAP. The one on the left is a lightweight .260 built on a Templar action. </div></div>

PGS, how much does the lightweight Templar weigh?

Might want to check out steve white out of Bakersfield Ca. He guarantes 1/4 moa at 100 thats the best i have heard of and his builds will shoot he just did a 260 for me and a 3 shot group at 100 yards .130 he is awsome and quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottie15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been quite happy with the lightweight rifles from Rifles, Inc. out of Texas.

http://riflesinc.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm pretty sold on GAP. The one on the left is a lightweight .260 built on a Templar action. </div></div>

PGS, how much does the lightweight Templar weigh? </div></div>
yeah, those Rifles, Inc sticks are very light and yet still very accurate.

another guy is James Thomas over at High Speed Shooting Systems in Yakima, WA. I've heard he's very good, but I haven't personally fired any of his rifles yet. Give him a call and hear what he has to say. (509) 945-6623