• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Custom varmit build

gerryb03

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2011
I am looking to build a 22-250 custom rig. I know there are some great builders who support this site. If you guys can give me contact info I can get going
Thanks

Jon at Area 419. We go on a yearly prairie dog trip, and in the last year he has built me a semi-custom 204 on a savage and a custom 700 in 6.5CM. Both are top of the line rigs. He built himself a 700 in 22-250 that is an absolute laser, and just built a 6mmBR for a friend that is also a glorious gun. Check out his website (www.area419.com) and give him a call, I promise you won't be disappointed. He can do anything and everything, your gun will be second to none.

Jon @ Area419 definitely builds some great guns. Highly recommend him as well. Chad Dixon has built me a few guns as well and I highly recommend him as well.

Where do you live? I always recommend using a "local" smith if possible to deal with unforeseen issues that always seem to crop up. It's easier to deal with an issue if you can make a personal visit.

+1 with Goin'Hot

If available use your local smith, VERY good advice.
If he is not up to the skill level you require then look elsewhere.

That said, I am spoiled rotten! GAP, Cresent Customs, Gordy Gritters, Badger Ord and Manners all within 15 mins of my house.....

+1000 or more. I've been burned real bad because I sent a rifle out of state to a popular smith who thinks it's cool not to answer the phone, return calls, return emails, or return registered mail. For a year. Literally.

Local guy you have a relationship with is the way to go.

Well, if not Florida, at least see if you can find a good smith in a Georgia or southern Alabama. If you need to make a drive to work something out, you don't want to be driving to the middle of the country or the west coast...

Having a custom gun built is supposed to be a good experience. I've had two built that were nightmares. Built by recommended smiths in the middle of the country that talk a good talk with short delivery times and I got shafted. Won't answer phones, time frames that got blown out of proportion, all kinds of excuses.

Local, local, local...