• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom vs Factory Rifle BBL

Vamike9

Patriot
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Virginia
    www.youtube.com
    I've been around precision rifles for a while now. I've seen some really nice custom rifles that shoot really well.
    However, one thing I keep noticing is just how good factory rifles are getting now in terms of accuracy.

Savage has their blueprinted BA Stealth which consistently shoots 1/2 moa at 100yds. I'm sure there are barrels out there that will out shoot the Savage but how practical is it?
    1/2 moa is what many buyers pay good money to get in a custom setup.
    In the same way, most shooters have a hard time holding consistent 1/2 moa at distance.

I have a LTR Remington 700 that will outshoot just about all of the custom guns I've owned.

Today there is a lot more bang for your buck when it comes to getting more for your hard-earned cash in a precision rifle setup.

▪Curious to know what you guys think?

▪What are the top five budget rifles for long-range precision shooting?

I just want to learn from you guys and hopefully help others learn more as well.

What benchmark makes them consistent 1/2moa rifles??? You have seen them shoot 6x5's that avg 1/2moa or less? Your Remington LTR 700 shoots 6x5's that are 1/2moa or less??

Shooting groups that are 1/2moa does not make them consistent 1/2moa rifles...Shooting 6 groups, 5 shots each that averages 1/2moa or less make them 1/2moa rifles. I have seen factory rifles shoot sub 1/2moa groups but only seen a small number of them actually shoot 1/2moa or less over 6 groups....With cut rifled custom rifles, that shot to shot consistency is what your getting over factory rifles. The guarantee. That is if you had a smith spin it up that knows what they are doing...The guy spinning it up is as important as the blank you selected.

Thanks for your comments, and you are correct in the 5 shot 5 groups standard accuracy test.

Most of my heavy bbl Remingtons, can or will consistently shoot 3/4 moa over 25 shots if I'm up to the task.
    However, they are milspec or LTR (law enforcement) models.
    Still, IMO that's great performance for practical long range precision at less than a 1/3 of custom guns.

I also realize practical accuracy is different than benchrest accuracy. As well I understand that there are guys on here who can do more with a 1 moa rifle at distance than I can with a custom 1/2 moa.

Keep the comments coming, and I'd like to hear if this has been other members experience as well.

Last edited:
    The advantage over a factory rifle isn't just the barrel. It's also the extra time spent with fit and finish. Then of course the chambering of your choice instead of what is available on the shelf. Combine that with custom throating, a better match chamber and crown and closer head spacing. Those are things that most factory rifles skimp on. They are typically chambered to max settings to allow a little room for screw up. You then have to spend the time to develop the load that your rifle likes. I good number of times I have taken a dummy bullet into my (very good) local smith and said " I want my new rifle to like these" given a particular set of parameters you can get just that. Customer service is the last but most important thing. If you expect good accuracy from a factory rifle and don't get it, you have only the factory to contact. Most times they aren't going to care that your rifle isn't a tack driver. A custom smith will, especially if that's what you paid for. Just my .02

One other thing. Whenever I buy a factory rifle I take into consideration the aftermarket backing. Basically with the intention of building a custom off of it at some point or another. Just something to think about.

It's a gamble vs a pretty sure thing. My experience is that 1 moa is a common enough occurrence but I don't think 1/2 is the majority of factory barrels.

The other thing is most factory barrels are button rifled and stress relief is huge, especially if you want muzzle threads. Quality button barrels do exist (benchmark), but you don't know until you cut threads and the muzzle bells out or you get it hot and accuracy goes to hell... Or not.

I am happy with 3/4" consistent from my Remington 700. I know I am screwing up if my DT shoots 3/4".
    To me, the difference between a factory barrel vs a custom was summed up best earlier: Do you want to play the odds or have a sure winner. I have shot a handful of sub-moa factory rifles, and I mean consistently sub-moa. I have also shot factory heavy barreled rifles that are consistently over 1moa. Not much over, but definitely not under! We have a lot of options out there, but some things are worth the money.

the expected consistency/accuracy for custom is peace of mind. i.e. almost every custom will achieve your 1/2 MOA target but can you expect the same for rack grade?

people pay for customs because you get exactly what you want.

e.g., i don't want any hunting type stock not even a mcm htg, i want a manners t. i want the lighter elite fill. i want to save weight and use a proof. i want a trg trigger but can easily live with 2-stage huber. i want a snag-free dbm design so use apa. i must be able to use aw mags. i want it cerakoted od green. i want an integrated rail that ends at integrated lug with a small teardrop or ball knob and small firing pin for 6.5x47 so choose deviant. i want to know vs hope it will shoot. i also dont want to have to cobble or incrementally upgrade the damn thing together myself.

name 1 factory rifle that meets my needs--if it exists there is no way I'd spend extra on a custom. bet getting it how you like it is a larger factor and the fit-and-finish accuracy seals the deal.

I don't have too much to add to the discussion but I'll chime in anyway. The previous posts that mention peace of mind (accuracy) and perfect fit/finish definitely speak for my limited experience.

As a part of the function, some guys want more out of their rifle actions than a factory rifle can offer. Some guys want to use the latest and greatest thing, which 99% of the time didn't just come off the production line of Remington. Some people want interchangeable boltheads while being able to order pre-fit shouldered barrels from gunsmiths like PVA. Plus when you order a custom you get to decide the length and contour of the barrel as well. There are reasons related to both fit and function why people go custom. I don't think that I could leave a factory rifle alone anymore even if it was just a beater rifle that I didn't care much about.