• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom Whidden Dies: experiences ordering based off reamer print vs fired brass

Lynn313

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2018
I am considering ordering off a reamer print for a 6.5 PRC build that should be finished in within a month. I’m calling their shop tomorrow to discuss, but would like to hear of any experiences our members have. I’m also considering Neil Jones dies, but prefer to keep my neck adjustments separate from adjusting my shoulder setback.
1. When you ordered off a reamer print did it work for you?
2. Have much clearance around case body, web, neck did you have from chamber?
3. Also, if I wait for build and used fired cases for build I’m probably going to just neck size after 1st fire and send in case after 2nd fire. Reason: I believe I will have a closer chamber fit after 2 firings than just one.
4. Anything else to share
5. Neil Jones dies: satisfied with combo shoulder/neck bushing setup?
Appreciate any and all feedback.

I had some 30-338 Lapua dies made from the print. I’ve never measured anything on them but I can say they work perfectly. I’ve resized the same brass several times without excessive growth, pressure, clicks on extraction, etc. I think the Whidden customer service is better than most. Perhaps you should call and ask? I would assume any big discrepancy would be in the reaming of the actual chamber or the reamer to print accuracy.

I’ve used Whidden to chamber several rifles and I’m quite happy. Would it be possible to let them chamber with your reamer and measure for custom dies while it’s there? This may not help the OP if his rifle is almost complete.

Reactions: Lynn313
I had some 30-338 Lapua dies made from the print. I’ve never measured anything on them but I can say they work perfectly. I’ve resized the same brass several times without excessive growth, pressure, clicks on extraction, etc. I think the Whidden customer service is better than most. Perhaps you should call and ask? I would assume any big discrepancy would be in the reaming of the actual chamber or the reamer to print accuracy.

I’ve used Whidden to chamber several rifles and I’m quite happy. Would it be possible to let them chamber with your reamer and measure for custom dies while it’s there? This may not help the OP if his rifle is almost complete.

jmackey,
Good information & suggestions. I am planning on calling Whidden in the morning. The reason I’m thinking about using the print instead of fired brass is that it may save me a month or two on getting the dies. They are running 3-4 months on getting custom dies out right now. On them using the reamer it depends on where ga precision is on my build.
How many thou under chamber internal dimensions did you request your dies be built? Thanks for sharing

jmackey,
Good information & suggestions. I am planning on calling Whidden in the morning. The reason I’m thinking about using the print instead of fired brass is that it may save me a month or two on getting the dies. They are running 3-4 months on getting custom dies out right now. On them using the reamer it depends on where ga precision is on my build.
How many thou under chamber internal dimensions did you request your dies be built? Thanks for sharing
Anyone doing a 338 imp I would strongly suggest getting a large body die. I cracked a Whidden.

• Wow
Reactions: DTF370
jmackey,
I’m not sure how they calculated the correct undersize for my dies. I didn’t specify. They chambered the rifle with my reamer and the supplied print. It’s possible they measured the actual reamer. I don’t think they fired the rifle to get brass to measure. They sent the rifle back with the custom dies. I’ve used those dies for around 1200 rounds so far with two barrels. I’m very happy with Whidden’s work on both the barrels and the dies.