• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Customize 5R, buy FN Spr, or buy a used custom

StockDog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2007
Thorsby, AL
Thank you in advance for the help and advice. I have been on the site go a good while now but I don't post often. I have learned alot here and see no need to post needlessly. Thanks again

I curently have a 5r that is a solid shooter. I do want to upgrade a few things like larger bolt handle, dbm, and have it bedded. I do want to buy a suppressor in the future so I would also like to get it threaded.

The one thing that I hate is the funky palm swell. The bolt handle and bedding are tge two upgrades that would improve the function/accuracy. The others are more wants than needs.

By the time that I do the upgrades I am almost at a used custom price. Please help me with my debate.

Option A
Upgrade 5r
5r Purchase 1100 w base
Dbm
Bolt handle
Bedding. $600ish. With hooper

Option b
Buy FN spr a2 1550
Comes with either dbm or standard
Are the factory mags dependable?
How much for spares?
Larger capacity?
What features dies tge a5 offer that make it cost more?

Option c
Buy r700 based custom with
$2200 to $3000 depending on smith and features?

I am looking at some that re around $2500 that have what I am after.

I have a Nightforce scope and reload.
I have several thousand lc cases so I plan to stay with 308 unless there is a much more compelling case to go 260.

Re: Customize 5R, buy FN Spr, or buy a used custom

Well, my advice is to use the 5R, change stocks to the one you want - Manner's T4A maybe, put the bolt knob on you want. And, when you shoot out the barrel then you can rebarrel it and true up the receiver. You have a great rifle to start with but I would have a long term strategy - first the stock and knob you will keep on the rifle forever. Put money into an good optic (buy once-cry once). Same goes with the stock!!

Sound advice, that is what i knew was the most practical thing.

Would it be possible to reduce the grip size with some filing and refinish it with a textured coating? Is an HS stock solid or would I weaken the stock by doing this? The stock fits fine except for the palm swell.

Starz
Thank you for whatever you Are doing in IRQ
And thank you for helping.

I think you like everyone else says that palm swell on the HS is tough to handle. I think if I were in your shoes I would really change stocks and get the one you want and get it bedded to the rifle and you will see how much more you will love it. I have had HS Stocks in the past and have gotten rid of all of them and moved to Manner's and McMillan's.

Thank you very much

I'll check out some stocks and see what looks good.

Thanks again

I would keep 5 r as well. You can sell the HS stock for $200+ and replace with one you like. ( I got mcMillan A5) I also got bolt knob from rd precision http://www.rdprecision.net/parts.html
and had Karl from kampfield fluted bolt and install knob.
I also changed the trigger to a jewel. I couldn't be happier its my favorite gun to shoot now.
here is crappy cell phone picture
5r.jpg

you could get an FN A5m for around 2000-2100 on GB(comes with the fully adjustable mcmillan a5 stock). It will come out of the box shooting atleast 1moa and in reality closer to .4-.5moa. It can also be fitted w/CDI bottom metal and use the AI mags if you desire. All you need is glass and rings. Everything else is standard.
smile.gif

I know it doesn't help much, but you can't go wrong with either choice. There are some smokin deals on GAP rifles here at the moment that are tempting the heck out of me, however you can make the mods to your 5R and end up with exactly what you want.

...thought the FN's that I have shot have been awesome rifles out of the box. It just depends if you'll be happy with teh McM stock on the FN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StockDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you in advance for the help and advice. I have been on the site go a good while now but I don't post often. I have learned alot here and see no need to post needlessly. Thanks again

I curently have a 5r that is a solid shooter. I do want to upgrade a few things like larger bolt handle, dbm, and have it bedded. I do want to buy a suppressor in the future so I would also like to get it threaded.

The one thing that I hate is the funky palm swell. The bolt handle and bedding are tge two upgrades that would improve the function/accuracy. The others are more wants than needs.

By the time that I do the upgrades I am almost at a used custom price. Please help me with my debate.

Option A
Upgrade 5r
5r Purchase 1100 w base
Dbm
Bolt handle
Bedding. $600ish. With hooper</div></div>

Well you already have a decent rifle but are unhappy with the larger grip so buy a McMillan A3/5 adjustable stock (or something like it) for the smaller vertical grip and slim but tapered forend and you will have an excellent stock that can be built light or heavy and can be adjusted to fit like a glove.

DBM. Why? Do you currently shoot comps? Unless you shoot comps or need to change loads you have no use for a DBM. A DBM is just another thing waiting to fail in the field and if you need more than 4 rounds you need a different weapon for the job.

Bolt handle and bedding I expect will help you manipulate the bolt faster and more comfortably if you find one that is the right size and shape.

Careful bedding is a must, have McMillan install pillars when you order your stock and don't forget the flush cups and or a couple of studs in front if you carry it a field or know how to use a sling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StockDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Option b
Buy FN spr a2 1550
Comes with either dbm or standard
Are the factory mags dependable?
How much for spares?
Larger capacity?
What features dies tge a5 offer that make it cost more?</div></div>

If you buy an FN the A3G is the way to go. The A3G stock is a nicer handling and adjustable stock than the FN A2 SPR (McMillan A4 IIRC) and the cost differences for the A3G and A5M are partially due to the stocks and DBM of the A5M variant rifle. I think the FN A3G is specified at 1/2 MOA or better vs. 1 MOA for the other SPRs. While the FNs are excellent rifles out of the box a well specified and carefully blueprinted Remington 700 action with a Krieger barrel carefully chambered for your ammo will easily beat the FNs. AFAIK the FN DBMs are limited to 4 round in .308 if I'm remembering correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StockDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Option c
Buy r700 based custom with
$2200 to $3000 depending on smith and features?

I am looking at some that re around $2500 that have what I am after. </div></div>

For that kind of money you might as well specify your own custom and have it built. Why look for what you want when you can have it built for you exactly the way you want it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StockDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a Nightforce scope and reload.
I have several thousand lc cases so I plan to stay with 308 unless there is a much more compelling case to go 260. </div></div>

Chances are very good that if you work at it a little you can find a load that will get your existing 5R to shoot under 1/2 MOA or maybe even better. Combined with the bolt handle, bedded stock and maybe a Jewel or Timney trigger you will have a really good shooting gun for not a lot more money.

HTH!

I'm kinda in the same boat, I just got my 5R together with a NXS 5.5-22 scope, I don't care for the stock either, and I'm not much of a shot and after 3 test groups I was shooting groups I could cover with a dime at 100 yds using Federal premium 168 grain SMK bullets. I am sure that with some more practice, a little trigger tuning, and maybe a stock replacement I will have a gun shooting consistently around 1/2 MOA, tickles the piss out of me for the money I have in it. I think I'm going to change the stock, tune the trigger, and shoot the barrel out of it then maybe look for a full custom rifle.

I would skip over the FN only because you already have a decent rifle to build up. While I like what FN has done to the SPR line I just don''t think it is that much of an upgrade over a 5R with a new stock, bolt handle, bottom metal, etc.

My suggestion is send your bolt handle away and have the knob installed by GAP, S.A.C., KMW, or any other reputable smith on here. Second I would look at any of the Manners stocks that have the mini chassis detachable bottom metal. This way you don't have to bed the action right away it if you don't want to. Also it allows you to get the most use out of your factory barrel. When you shoot your barrel out then you can send your barreled action to GAP and have them true it and install a new barrel. When you get the new barreled action back just bolt in back on you stock and now you have a completely custom rifle.

By building it this way you build it up in stages and it doesn't cost a lot of money at one time like a custom gun, but it gives you that custom rifle feel with the initial upgrades of the stock, bolt handle, bottom metal.