• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cut .300 wsm barrel to 24" while threading?

slate84

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2010
Brookings SD
rifle is savage 10 action with a 26" barrel in .300wsm
favorite load is 66 grains of imr-4350 with cci mag primers with 208gr Amax

question is that i just got my innovative arms LDSP suppressor (8.5") and this thing is going to be LONG. I know you give up velocity when you sacrifice barrel length but would you cut the barrel down to 24" to make it a little more less unwieldy? I know the idea of the wsm is to be able to shoot mag loads more effectively in a shorter barrel but im just kinda lost. This is primarily a gun that is solely for long range/tactical shooting but don't want to cut it out of the running for being able to swing it around quickly with tactical shooting.

Any opinions are welcome.
Thank you for your time.

My browning has a 24" and factory loads come out at 3200 fps. The best hand load is about 2850-2900 (150 gr Barnes bullet). I vote for shortening and agree with working a new load up.

Flipside is it is still going to be long after it's cut (~32.5"), you are going to lose some velocity and not necessarily gain much in terms of handling. How long range are you shooting with it? I would go short or stay long.