• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cut my SCAR 20

hitman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
I decided to cut my 20 barrel down to 16" and I love it! I sent it off to Dave Wilson and he did great work with a fast turn around time. I had a SCAR 17 and it did not do much for me personally. Most people jump up and down like crazy and say if you cut a 20 barrel you just have a SCAR 17. Well, not true at all. While they share most of the same parts etc.. The barrel on the 20 is a better, thicker profile and the barrel extension is larger, attaches with more screws and are more accurate. Plus with the 20 you get the Gieselle trigger and the better stock. Plus, I have many other rifles I can reach out with. I usually only shoot out to 600 yds lately and have to driver 2 1/2 hrs just to get to a 1000 yd range.

It handles way better and I did not change the jets so it smoothed it out. Cycles everything 100% and is under moa. I did not weigh it to see a difference. I brought out the 20 and one my SR-25s and the 20 is actually softer now. But, it also has a Precision Armament brake on there and the Knights just has the factory muzzle. It will be suppressed as well eventually so the 16" barrel will be nicer for that as well. Cheap SS scope on it until I get a NF ATACR for her! I def. recommend D. Wilson for any work also. Bunch of pics below.

Looks pretty. Is the non uggs stock what comes on those or is that after market?

I couldn’t have done it myself unless I had a spare barrel, i’m glad it worked out well though. it would be awesome to see that barrel and breach setup in a true scar 17 SBR with folding stock. My rifle is already a tack driver but I could imagine it being better.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Did the accuracy stay the same? I was going to cut mine to 18" but my gunsmith talked me out of it. I might reconsider.

FUCK Yes. 16" gang. I had D.Wilson cut down my 6.5 CM PSA to 16.5" Its great man. I've been looking at the 20s and would do the exact same thing.

Accuracy is the same for sure. I did not crono anything yet. I do love it so much more than the 20 inch barrel.

How does the 16" 6.5 CM run? I am going to grab the new SR-25 with the 16" 6.5 when it comes out.

Nice. Personally I wouldnt cut it cuz the .308 needs all the MV it can get, but it looks great. What can you planning to run?

So they were supposed to come out with the CSR way back when and then the new catalog has it in there again... With the promise of lots of new barrels and parts.

Anyway, the CSR has/had a 16"bbl. and the stock had an adapter that allows for what I recall looks like a Magpul CTR stock on a folding hinge.

For a can, I'd use the Surefire RC2 or something with low backpressure. Not that I'm exactly a Surefire fan but FN does recommend them.

I'm using/going to use a 762SS can but they're hard to get and not so sure it'll work on the chopped barrel all that well. FN won't be much help

So they were supposed to come out with the CSR way back when and then the new catalog has it in there again... With the promise of lots of new barrels and parts.

Anyway, the CSR has/had a 16"bbl. and the stock had an adapter that allows for what I recall looks like a Magpul CTR stock on a folding hinge.

For a can, I'd use the Surefire RC2 or something with low backpressure. Not that I'm exactly a Surefire fan but FN does recommend them.

I'm using/going to use a 762SS can but they're hard to get and not so sure it'll work on the chopped barrel all that well. FN won't be much help

This is where the Ron Burgundy I don't believe you meme comes in,lol. Not you, FN.

I am on the fence if I am going to keep my Scar or not. I like the platform, and think that it has unrealized potential. If I was the put in charge of the FN, I would enact the following changes.

I would Scrap the Mk17 and refine the Mk20.
I would make the following change
Lightweight 13.5 to 16 inch 308/6.5cm barrels
Precision 16-20 inch 308/6.5 barrels
Additional Settings for the gas regulator, They did this 50 years ago, with the FAL, Do it again.
MLOC rails on receiver
Revise the carrier so that there is less reciprocating mass, and is not as vulnerable to cracking under higher operating pressures.
Develop a new stock/hinge, its neither durable or idea for precision shooting.
I would fix the trigger.
I would upgrade all the screws in the receiver.
I would also include a torque wrench so end users can actually preform maintenance actions easier

Hell I would be a mk20 buyer if they would just bring a dimpled 16 inch variant with the folder

I decided to cut my 20 barrel down to 16" and I love it! I sent it off to Dave Wilson and he did great work with a fast turn around time. I had a SCAR 17 and it did not do much for me personally. Most people jump up and down like crazy and say if you cut a 20 barrel you just have a SCAR 17. Well, not true at all. While they share most of the same parts etc.. The barrel on the 20 is a better, thicker profile and the barrel extension is larger, attaches with more screws and are more accurate. Plus with the 20 you get the Gieselle trigger and the better stock. Plus, I have many other rifles I can reach out with. I usually only shoot out to 600 yds lately and have to driver 2 1/2 hrs just to get to a 1000 yd range.

It handles way better and I did not change the jets so it smoothed it out. Cycles everything 100% and is under moa. I did not weigh it to see a difference. I brought out the 20 and one my SR-25s and the 20 is actually softer now. But, it also has a Precision Armament brake on there and the Knights just has the factory muzzle. It will be suppressed as well eventually so the 16" barrel will be nicer for that as well. Cheap SS scope on it until I get a NF ATACR for her! I def. recommend D. Wilson for any work also. Bunch of pics below.

Very cool.

What model SR25 do you have, Whats the weight of the Mk20 vs SR25?

@hitman ... how is this bad boy running? I am thinking about chopping my 20s barrel as well ...

I ended up cutting mine down to 18". I think it's perfect now. Its balance is far better, less weight and accuracy improved too.

Reactions: thehun
With can, without can.

Attachments

• 20210406_113550~2.jpg
    20210406_113550~2.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 671
  • 20210406_113515~2.jpg
    20210406_113515~2.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 447
Reactions: CageFighter
I assume you are referring to the bottom rail. You could remove it and replace with the PMM mlok rail kit if you want. I sling mine sideways so have never had an issue. I wish pmm would machine the mlok more trim as it still protrudes far more than I like. I just put ladder covers on the pic rail to soften the feel if need be.

Does the cheese grater come off of the bottom? That'd suck slung up.
Some places make mlok panels if you want. The bottom rail doesn't really come off, it's part of the barrel assy. and doubles as the lower dust cover. You're supposed to use panel covers but of course FN doesn't include those. I'm still shocked they included a rear flip sight on the 16 and 17. Remember these rifles were designed and put in production prior to the military request for negative space attachment. And FN being FN, they're not gonna upgrade shit. Military didn't buy FNAC so no FNAC, no upgrades, and that included the non-reciprocating handle.

I take these and dremel out two notches on either side of the rails on the side and KAC panels will snap on (I've got a box full so it's what I use). With the Mk20 I didn't bother with the bottom rail since the two panels fit snug and sandwich between a bipod and vert. grip. Their intention is that you buy Tango Down panels that have tabs that snap in place.

TangoDown has panels for the SCAR...they are great...

They should come with a 16" option on the 20S from factory...perfection in my opinion...

0755cf6f-1fa2-4955-98f6-dd5baab7fe79-jpeg.142627