• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Cutting 6.5 CM barrel, what length?

jram

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Mar 27, 2018
    US
    I have a Savage model 10 with a 26” Criterion barrel chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I’m planning to cut the barrel down to make it more maneuverable.

It’s a backup gun, but I use it to introduce friends and family to long range shooting. I had long range hunting in mind when I put it together, but it really only punches paper and steel now.

I’ve done plenty of research and am leaning towards 22”, but would welcome suggestions. I don’t reload and plan to stay with Hornady 140 eld match ammo. I won’t be threading the barrel, it will have a recessed crown whatever length ya’ll help me decide on.

Before pic:
    9DF67E62-5FFB-41E2-8328-831A378D3306.jpeg

If your getting above average velocity from the barrel currently cutting it to 22" would serve you well if you don't mind the sacrifice.
    But if it is a slower barrel allready then cutting 4" off of it may be a bit disappointing.
    I have a M24 profile currently waiting to be finished and am planning on it being 23" finished length.

I second the 22 inch idea! I usually stick to 24 or 26 inches, but if you're already at 26 and you want it shorter, it'd kinda feel like a waste of effort to cut only 2 inches off for a 24", and you probably won't feel THAT much a difference in maneuverability between 24 and 26. So I say 22 is a fine choice!

Thanks for the responses! I hadn’t considered my specific barrel velocity, thanks for bringing that up. At 26” it averages 2788 FPS with the Hornady 140 ELDM factory loads, so I anticipate very close to 2700 even at 22. I’m ok with the sacrific on velocity as long as I stop hitting things with the muzzle every time it come out of the safe!

KEEP THE INFO COMING! I have to order a barrel ... feedback on 20" appreciated ... 22" max ... the shorter the better IMO

RANGE REPORTS ... Real world data @ 1000 yards ...

Last edited:
    After doing my own research here and reading the article where they cut the barrel down I decided 22" is perfect for me. I will be running a suppressor most of the time. Longrifles Inc. is making my barrel this week.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/07/16/6-5-creedmoor-barrel-length-and-muzzle-velocity/

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-...el-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/

Take that Rifleshooter article with a grain of salt. You do not lose velocity in the Creedmoor past 24".

OP, 22" would work for what you want but more maneuverable for what use?

I was intentionally vague because it’s silly. But it doesn’t really fit in my safe well. I have to remove two other rifles to pull it out to get enough of an angle to clear the “threshold.” I’ve dropped one of the other rifles doing this and am just ready to solve the problem.

LOL I run 27" and 28" with brakes and can relate. I had to cut the shelf above my rifles so they fit in.

This rifle shoots pretty good, it’s absolutely not one of those record setting criterion barrels though. I hope it tightens up a bit with a shorter / more rigid barrel. It Shoots about 3/4 moa today, sometimes better almost never worse. I’m just not content with it, so I’ll stop dropping my other guns and hopefully see a positive improvement!

Something more compact nimble for PRS type matches, something that packs smaller for my trunk, Something I can throw around with ease vs my 27" .308 and thats without a break on it.

20" creed with brake will put me at about 22"

Take that Rifleshooter article with a grain of salt. You do not lose velocity in the Creedmoor past 24".

OP, 22" would work for what you want but more maneuverable for what use?

Other than 22 RF every barrel I have tested, cut and re tested has lost velocity from 32" to 10.5" Some more than others, but all lost velocity.

I have a 20 inch Creed. Want to chop it to 18 since I've got a TBAC 7 coming my way.

Thats a sweet rifle, i think the evolition and carbon chasis look perty sick with a short barrel.

If anyone shoots factory loads from a 20" or shorter barrel what ammo are you using and what velocities are you getting?

What distances do you shoot with it, that may help make an informed decision

My "home" range goes to 800 yards. Im in dfw and ocasionally have an opportunity to shoot further. This isnt my main gun, but i would like it to perform out to 1100 yards to help get buddies and family into long range.

Something more compact nimble for PRS type matches, something that packs smaller for my trunk, Something I can throw around with ease vs my 27" .308 and thats without a break on it.

20" creed with brake will put me at about 22"

I was asking the OP as I was wondering his thought process. My rifles are 27" and 28" plus the 2.5" brakes and I have no problems getting around at matches. Been using those lengths since 2004 but it's up to the individual what works for them. No way I would go 20" but some like them. Hope it works for you.

Not a creed but I recently put together a 22' 6.5x47. Shot some ammo I have loaded for a different rifle and it looks promising at 500m - for a long time I opted for 26' pipes on my comp rifles, would not go longer than 24' now. Modern powders and efficient case design make it easier to go shorter. If I run the numbers and determine I can stay within 3-5% of long barrel velocity I'll usually cede a little speed for a more compact rifle, especially if it will hunt.

47AD8E53-CA0A-4B65-A4F8-9568AE100A33.jpegA8F807A3-885A-41A9-A2BC-9F03F6A3FA0E.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: jram
    The gunsmith im going to use has a 4-5 week lead time. Im going to drop it off with instructions to cut it to 22" this week.

But I might go shorter. If anyone is shooting factory loaded 6.5 cm out of a 20" or shorter barrel, please post your velocoties. My gut says its a great round out of a short barrel, but i would need to handload to get the velocity back.

But I might go shorter. If anyone is shooting factory loaded 6.5 cm out of a 20" or shorter barrel, please post your velocoties. My gut says its a great round out of a short barrel, but i would need to handload to get the velocity back.

The following are velocities from a new Tikka CTR 20" (less than 100 rounds through it) w/ Silencerco Omega attached. All are 10-shot strings except for the 129gr Interlock, which was 5-shot. It was about 60*F outside.

l0diijpw-552186.jpg

20180520_142303-552176.jpg

20180520_140210-552175.jpg

20180520_132856-552173.jpg

This is from a Ruger Predator w/ factory barrel cut to 16.75" with the Omega hanging off the end. It was around 80* that day. The load showing is factory Hornady Match w/ 140gr ELD-M. This is also a 5-shot string.

1007171530-552177.jpg

I don't regret cutting the Ruger at all. I only shoot it with a can attached, so the short barrel is a welcome addition (subtraction?).

1029171540-347454.jpg

Reactions: jram
    Strat81, awesome post. Thanks very much! I’ve got the barrel at the Smith with instructions to cut down to 22”, should have it back in 2 weeks or so.

Reactions: strat81
    18" 6.5 does 2550 fps with factory hornady 143 ELDX and 2720 fps with handload 147 ELDM

20" CTR does 2800 fps with Prime 130 ammo. and 2720 fps with handloaded 147 ELDM. Yes both the 18" and the 20" shot the same exact handload the same speed.

I’m in Saginaw, usually shoot in Decatur. Planning to shoot the “belly match” at Jacobs plain at the end of the month.

Well the barrel is ready, i haven’t had time to pick it up but hope I can get it tomorrow. I’ll try to get it back together and post a pic Sunday. It will probably be a week before I can shoot it, looking forward to seeing the velocity.

18" 6.5 does 2550 fps with factory hornady 143 ELDX and 2720 fps with handload 147 ELDM

20" CTR does 2800 fps with Prime 130 ammo. and 2720 fps with handloaded 147 ELDM. Yes both the 18" and the 20" shot the same exact handload the same speed.

What powder and charge are you using with that 147 handload?

I cut my Savage Model 12 down to 22in to run with my suppressor. Sig match ammo is clocking at 2736.

What powder and charge are you using with that 147 handload?
    From my limited experience, you wouldn’t want his recipe. That is way too fast for a 147 out of an 18”. I’m not saying that he is embellishing, I’m just saying.

Start at 44 grains of RL26 and work up slowly to where you see pressure...

Last edited:
    Reactions: strat81
    Alright, I just picked up the barrel and installed it. Thanks for the info guys, I ended up going 20” and I like it!
    EF5E055E-A137-40D2-BD18-A6417A9EBAC9.jpeg

Reactions: alaskalanche