• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cutting a REPR Barrel

azbic

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2010
It's a dry heat
A little info please. I have a 20" REPR, I am interested in cutting down the barrel. I contacted LWRC about doing this and they recommended against it. When I asked why I was informed it would first void the warranty and secondly they mentioned something to do with the proper porting. If I am unconcerned about the warranty shouldn't a competent smith be able to cut down the barrel and do any necessary porting to make the weapon function properly. Thanks for the info.

Re: Cutting a REPR Barrel

I do not believe it is chrome lined. The literature states Cold Rotary
Hammer Forged.

i don't know what to say......but remember one thing......short barrels are for short people

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i don't know what to say......but remember one thing......short barrels are for short people</div></div>

who said that bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i don't know what to say......but remember one thing......short barrels are for short people </div></div>

hahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i don't know what to say......but remember one thing......short barrels are for short people</div></div>

who said that bolt?</div></div>

sometimes i quote myself

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i don't know what to say......but remember one thing......short barrels are for short people</div></div>

who said that bolt?</div></div>

sometimes i quote myself</div></div>

LOL

I wanted to do the same thing... If my REPR doesn't sell I'm sending her off to ABS (here in Lincoln!) later this year to get a custom wrap done to it. Those guys do great work. keep us/me updated if you go this route.

Shortening the barrel reduces the dwell time, or the amount of time the bullet spends past the gas port but behind the muzzle. Therefore, the gas hole in the barrel needs to be opened up so that the rifle will have enough gas to function. This assumes you want to cut the 20" to no shorter than 18". Shorter than that and all bets are off.

Just trade somebody for a shorter barreled upper?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shortening the barrel reduces the dwell time, or the amount of time the bullet spends past the gas port but behind the muzzle. Therefore, the gas hole in the barrel needs to be opened up so that the rifle will have enough gas to function. This assumes you want to cut the 20" to no shorter than 18". Shorter than that and all bets are off. </div></div>

Good luck with all that and a REPR as you will COMPLETELY f'up the functionality of the a couple of the settings of the adjustable gas block. You want a shorter barrel then sell your upper and buy one.

Just buy one of the 3 other available length uppers or buy all of them.

I can't find anybody to trade a 20" for a 16"... let alone just uppers. As for doing the mod listed above.... I've talked with ABS awhile back and they're aware of the issues of just cutting a barrel to the customers request... a smith that knows his shit should be able to do this mod. If anything call LWRC...again... and request the specs for the 16"/18" gas port... if anything you could always rebarrel it to your specs (i.e twist ratio, spiral fluting, ABS wrap....ect).

yeah it'd cost a lot... but it would be a "custom" REPR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't find anybody to trade a 20" for a 16"... let alone just uppers. As for doing the mod listed above.... I've talked with ABS awhile back and they're aware of the issues of just cutting a barrel to the customers request... a smith that knows his shit should be able to do this mod. If anything call LWRC...again... and request the specs for the 16"/18" gas port... if anything you could always rebarrel it to your specs (i.e twist ratio, spiral fluting, ABS wrap....ect).

yeah it'd cost a lot... but it would be a "custom" REPR. </div></div>

The REPR has a 4 position gas block, 3 positions of which restrict gas flow in some manner. Accordingly, in order to get the rifle to function properly the size of the gas port drilled into the barrel is not nearly as important as the size of the 3 ports in the gas block.

When I contacted LWRC they stated I could send in the upper in and they would re-barrel for $700.00, this would also keep the warranty in effect. I would like to trade but not a whole lot happening on that front. I will follow up with a call to LWRC about how custom they can make it ie; twist ratio, spiral fluting and any other custom things they can do.
Thanks for all the info. Well except for the guy quoting himself...J/K kidding man, that is the quickest way to self fame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azbic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I contacted LWRC they stated I could send in the upper in and they would re-barrel for $700.00, this would also keep the warranty in effect. </div></div>

They should have plenty of extra parts around with the Corp canceling their orders with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azbic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little info please. I have a 20" REPR, I am interested in cutting down the barrel. I contacted LWRC about doing this and they recommended against it. When I asked why I was informed it would first void the warranty and secondly they mentioned something to do with the proper porting.</div></div>
You probably don't want to hear this, as you seems like you've already made up your mind and are looking for reassurance from the Hide'. You may not be concerned about the voiding the warranty - and you'll probably never need to use it, but IMO having the barrel cut-down rather than having LWRC re-barrel your R.E.P.R. is ill-advised.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azbic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If I am unconcerned about the warranty shouldn't a competent smith be able to cut down the barrel and do any necessary porting to make the weapon function properly. Thanks for the info.
</div></div>
Aside from voiding the warranty (and thus losing LWRC's excellent Service) piston guns are different animals from DI guns. I'm sure that LWRC's advice to send your rifle in is based on knowledge, parts, and labor rather than a monetary motive. The R.E.P.R. is their design and they know what is necessary to make it run reliably including the correct regulation of gas whether short or long barrel, suppressed or non-suppressed.

If you're concerned about going from the heavy contour of the 20" to a medium contour in an 18" or a light contour in a 12" or 16.1" if LWRC re-barrels your R.E.P.R. you should talk to Darren or A.J., as LWRC might be open to a re-barrel with a short barrel but heavy contour of the 20".

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is said barrel chrome lined? </div></div>
No. R.E.P.R barrels have the same surface-conversion treatment as the the 5.56 and 6.8 rifles, known as <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"NiCorr"</span></span>.

From the LWRC Int'l web site:

<span style="font-style: italic">"LWRCI™ rifles and carbines utilize cold hammer forged barrels made out of 41V45 steel alloy and treated with NiCorr™ surface conversion technology. Cold hammer forging takes an oversized barrel blank, and using high pressure rotary hammers, compacts the barrel blank over a mandrel. This forms perfect rifling devoid of tool marks. It also compacts the molecular structure of the metal making it denser and stronger. These barrels can take a lot more use and abuse than a standard barrel before any degradation in accuracy or loss of velocity. NiCorr™ surface conversion has proved more lubricious, harder wearing, more heat and corrosion resistant than the hard chrome normally used in the bore. Our barrels can handle 20,000 rounds before replacement, as compared to 6,000-10,000 rounds on a standard M4."</span>

Keith

Don't know if you are aware, or if this even helps, but LWRC is running a 15% off special on all their upper receivers. Good from June 15 to June 24th.

Yea, I did see that, now I just need the other 85%. I would love to have another upper and be able to keep the 20".

You probably don't want to hear this, as you seems like you've already made up your mind and are looking for reassurance from the Hide'. You may not be concerned about the voiding the warranty - and you'll probably never need to use it, but IMO having the barrel cut-down rather than having LWRC re-barrel your R.E.P.R. is ill-advised.

Aside from voiding the warranty (and thus losing LWRC's excellent Service) piston guns are different animals from DI guns. I'm sure that LWRC's advice to send your rifle in is based on knowledge, parts, and labor rather than a monetary motive. The R.E.P.R. is their design and they know what is necessary to make it run reliably including the correct regulation of gas whether short or long barrel, suppressed or non-suppressed.

If you're concerned about going from the heavy contour of the 20" to a medium contour in an 18" or a light contour in a 12" or 16.1" if LWRC re-barrels your R.E.P.R. you should talk to Darren or A.J., as LWRC might be open to a re-barrel with a short barrel but heavy contour of the 20".

Keith [/quote]

I haven't made up my mind just trying to get some opinions on it. I will most likely either re-barrel or just purchase a new upper. I do not really want to give up the warranty but if it was very cost effective to another route it may have been worth it to cut the barrel.