• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cutting barrel, will badger brake be ok on flutes

Re: Cutting barrel, will badger brake be ok on flutes

How much room will you have before you hit the flutes? I have seen it down before but when the flutes come all the way to the end of the barrel it looks kind of silly IMHO. I don't think it cause accuracy problems it just looks funny.

I want to trim it back 6 inches so it will be well into the fluting. The badger brake will cover it up the flutes but I am concerned whether or not they can thread it again for the badger over the flutes and whether the badger will be ok on there.

Well as long as it can be done the badger brake will cover the end up so it shouldn't look any different to any other rifle. It's a 338 so no plans of ever using it without a break.

this comes down to your taste and not anyone else. As you say it will have a break on it so you may not notice too much but this is about aesthetics and not functionality. It will work no problem but it just looks may little funny.

like already mentioned, it'll look hillbilly as hell. as long as there is at least .800" (assuming badger fte) of barrel diameter left UNDER the flutes where you cut it, it'll work. your smith will probably cuss you too when he goes to do all the interrupted cutting.

personally, i wouldn't do it.

How will it look hllbilly if it's under the badger fte brake? It shouldn't look noticeable unless I am missing something? I am more concerned if the badger brake can be re-installed over the flutes as I know zip about machining.

Have it threaded long, install and contour a spacer to barrel diameter, and terminate the flutes on the spacer. It will take some refinishing to cover up the seam but I have seen it done well.