• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cutting Down a 5R Barrel

ISBe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2010
Madison, TN
Looking to shorten my 5R to 20". Would this have any negative affect aside from a little slower velocity?

Re: Cutting Down a 5R Barrel

If you plan to sell the rifle at some point, resale may be affected. If you believe in ocw and barrel timing, that should change as well as your "pet load" may be different. Make sure the crown is done right or accuracy will suffer.

What is OCW? Who would be a reputable smith to send this to without breaking the bank?

I've cut mine down now to 20", then 18 and now finally to 16". No effect on accuracy and only 100-125 fps velocity loss.

Any good rifle smith should be able to do this for you for a very reasonable price (<$100?)

like the other posts say...you will loose velocity but accuracy should not suffer too much if it done right. resale will be tough though

Why..."cool"?...or really "Tactical". Why do you REALLY need a short barrel. If you are "hunting" out of a close quarters blind...I can see your problem of shifting the rifle. I only ask why? Is it for cool or for really needing a short-short barrel? With a slow reload bolt action...do you REALLY need a 20 or shorter barrel? JMHO

I personally would not cut the barrel down. But thats just me maybe. If you shoot from a bench you will end up with more muzzle jump and will need a break of some sort.

I don't think it's "cool" and I'm not a mall ninja looking for a "tacticool" rifle. I like to keep my bolt guns around 20", yes, looks is part of it, but I plan on getting a suppressor down the road. I don't want 6ft rifle by the time it's all said and done, nor do I want a long ass case for it either.

Man I'm with you! I like short barrels. The shorter I can go and still do what I want it to the better.

Absolutely nothing to do with the "ain't it cool" knee jerk reaction.

The smaller and lighter the better!

I cut my 5R to 20 inchs. No regrets at all. The rifle balances much better. I say go for it!
I get 2550fs with 180SST's and 44gr Varget.

I cut my 223 5r down to 20" and installed a AAC brake/suppressor mount and it does balance better and have lost nothing in accuracy. It is much much better when I put my M4 2000 can on the end. I plan on picking up a 308 version and doing the same thing.

I cut both of my Remington 700's down to 21.5" to better accommodate suppressors without making for an unwieldy rifle. No regrets here.

Better balance, a bit of weight savings, a lot more maneuverable if used in the field, stiffer barrel, and not enough velocity loss to make a real difference unless you plan on shooting like 1200+ yds. I cut mine to 20" and won't look back. If it's gonna be heavy, it better be handy.

I tell you what I'll do I will go buy a 700 tactical that comes with a 20 inch barrel swap with you because it's gonna shoot the same when you cut the 5R and save that rifle which is designed after the m24 with a 1:11 twist and you can then save yourself the trouble of what loads will work best because there is already plenty of data available for the 1:12 twist of the sps tactical. Send me a PM if your interested