• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cutting down a fluted barrel?

shawn_40312

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2005
Beattyville, Ky
Anyone had this done before or could recommend a gunsmith to cut and re thread a fluted barrel? Thinking about doing this for my Cyclone. Thanks.

Re: Cutting down a fluted barrel?

It can be done but it looks a little silly.

You also need to be sure that you will have enough metal left to thread the barrel. Meaning the distance between the two opposite flutes at there lowest point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It can be done but it looks a little silly.

You also need to be sure that you will have enough metal left to thread the barrel. Meaning the distance between the two opposite flutes at there lowest point.
</div></div>

Got any pictures on how it would look? I would buy a non fluted barrel but i dont have the $1500 to spend on a barrel at this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shawn_40312</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It can be done but it looks a little silly.

</div></div>

Got any pictures on how it would look? I would buy a non fluted barrel but i dont have the $1500 to spend on a barrel at this time. </div></div>

It would look exactly like this, non-threaded. There is a gun on here in the For Sale section that is fluted, cut, threaded, and used part of the cut off part for a barrel nut.

1132.jpg

if you cant exchange the can due to serial numbers, then a good smith can modify the can. chuck it up and drill/mill out the threads, tig weld in a bushing/insert of appropriate metal and thickness and re-thread. thats gotta be better that trying to modify the barrel. i always modify the least expensive item. any good smith or machinist should be able to do this for a nominal fee.

what kind of barrel costs $1500?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It can be done but it looks a little silly.

</div></div>

I was thinking of possibly having the barrel cut from 24" to 20 or even 18.5" and since the silencer has a different thread pitch, to rethread the cut barrel for the silencer. If a thread protector could be made from the portion of the cut off part of the barrel to line the end of the flutes back up it wouldnt look as bad. The screw that holds the mirage band would also have to be reinstalled somehow. The barrel is 22mm in diameter and I dont believe that the flutes are deep enough to cause an issue when rethreading to 5/8x24. Is something like this doable?

Can't you just buy an adapter that fits wrong threads to suppressor, or lathe one up ?

hey sorry i thought this was more about the supressor than yu wanting to shorten a barrel. someone in here did what you want, shortened a barrel and had a thread protector made. it was flawless. you could not tell it was ever cut. i have the pics saved, but i dont remember who it was. i will try to sort thru the pictures i have and email them to you. but i really dont know who it was to lead you to who did the work. but it can be done. do you have a local smith or machinist to fix the can if you cant exchange it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey sorry i thought this was more about the supressor than yu wanting to shorten a barrel. someone in here did what you want, shortened a barrel and had a thread protector made. it was flawless. you could not tell it was ever cut. i have the pics saved, but i dont remember who it was. i will try to sort thru the pictures i have and email them to you. but i really dont know who it was to lead you to who did the work. but it can be done. do you have a local smith or machinist to fix the can if you cant exchange it? </div></div>

I would like to see the pics whenever you get the chance. Not sure what route i will go with yet.