• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 452/Savage Mk II barrel swaps & replacement

uscbigdawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So when these barrels go out, which one is the least painful to swap barrels on? Who has blanks, etc.?

Any experiences is appreciated.

Re: CZ 452/Savage Mk II barrel swaps & replacement

I doubt you will ever shoot your 22lr out. Most people do more damage cleaning them than shooting them.

Krieger and Hart makes barrels and I know there is more. A lot of the target 22 guys I deal with love Hart barrels but it is up to the guy pulling the trigger which one he likes.

Shilen, Lilja, Boughton are amoung the top 22 benchrest barrels at the present. with the shilen ratchet barrels being the hottest.
larryj

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt you will ever shoot your 22lr out. Most people do more damage cleaning them than shooting them.</div></div>

It's the end of August and have replaced 3 barrels on various rifles already this year. And you're supposed to clean the barrels?

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PDC Custom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krieger and Hart makes barrels and I know there is more. A lot of the target 22 guys I deal with love Hart barrels but it is up to the guy pulling the trigger which one he likes.</div></div>

So they have pre-turned/cut barrels ready to replace on either the CZ or Savage?

Thanks,

Rich

Hi Rich,
The CZ receiver is threaded for the barrel. The Savage is a press and pin fit. The CZ would be a better receiver if you are planning on replacing barrels but you will have to have a gunsmith to do it. To my knowledge no one makes pre-fit barrels for ether the CZ or the Savage 22's. If you go over http://www.rimfirecentral.com/ they might know someone that makes pre-fit barrels. Hope I helped.

Thanks

Thanks Craig. CZ is the direction I wanted to go anyways.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt you will ever shoot your 22lr out. Most people do more damage cleaning them than shooting them.</div></div>

It's the end of August and have replaced 3 barrels on various rifles already this year. And you're supposed to clean the barrels?

Rich
</div></div>

You shot out 3 22lr barrels? How many rounds through each?

I've been kicking around the idea of replacing the barrel on my Savage mark II. There have been several folks that have done so over on Rimfirecentral. The stock barrel does quite well right now so i'm not in a hurry, plus I likely won't be doing anything serious on the ARA shooting front. I prefer to just have a good time, and place well for the equipment used.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You shot out 3 22lr barrels? How many rounds through each?</div></div>

2 22's
1 223.

On the 22's, both had around 30k on them and were new just at 14 months ago.

fyi: the guys on rimfire central are throwing 77/22 barrels in savage mk2 recievers with a little bit of work....

Mostly 3-Gun. This long range stuff I'm VERY, and I mean VERY new at.

Rich

I just recently swapped out the factory MKII barrel for a GM fluted 20" stinger chamber. They are on closeout from GM and only 60 bucks shipped, can't beat that. One of the extractor grooves wasn't straight so the dremmel fixed that and I had to move the shoulder back 1/2 inch. Also done with a dremmel. It turned out great and I'm glad I did it.