• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 452 varmint CZ 453 Varmint

cordovan

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
New Mexico
Anyone know the difference between these two? I checked out the CZ site and really couldn't see one. There must be something because I priced the 452 out at $400 and the 453 at $500.

Re: CZ 452 varmint CZ 453 Varmint

453's have a different trigger. Wanting to say that it's user adjustable.

My 452 w/ a Brooks kit is pretty decent though, I don't know if it would be worth the extra $100 myself.

453 has a set trigger. For the difference I would opt for the 452. Actually I like the clean break of the single stage better than the 453 set anyway. Just my ,02......

Keith

Have a 453 Varmint and it has a set trigger. You push it forward to engage it. The rifle has beautiful wood on it and shoots very good. Some guys at the club have 452 and they shoot real good also. Don't know if the price is in the trigger or not. Sure do like my 453 though. Don't think you could go wrong with either one. Go on CZ's website and it gives specs on the site.
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-453-varmint/
Good Luck

Besides the trigger difference noted above, the 453 has a full free floating barrel while I believe that the 452 does not (or at least I've read that the 452 has a front screw that touches the barrel).

The set trigger IS a single stage trigger that is fully adjustable. Set feature can knock the pull down to a couple of ounces.

How is the set trigger in standard mode? Does it have much creep when you use it without the "set" function?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides the trigger difference noted above, the 453 has a full free floating barrel while I believe that the 452 does not (or at least I've read that the 452 has a front screw that touches the barrel). </div></div>

That depends upon the caliber. My 452 Varmint in .22 long rifle has a front screw, while my other CZ,the Varmint in .17HMR, does not. There are other differences - different action screw layout, better fit and finish on the .17, etc. I was surprised there wasn't more commonality in parts.

I've got two 453's and they dont have free floating barrels. Did it myself and it was a pain in the ass. If had it to do all over again i'd get the 452 and the brooks trigger and be done with it.

datw,
My 453 has a free floating barrel. It came that way from factory. Was yours touching all the way down the stock or in certain places? What made it a pain? Iam curious about what it takes to freefloat .22's over centerfires. Never done a .22 before just centerfires.

It´s quite common that 452 and 453 models don´t have free floating barrels when they come from the factory. (even though the manufacturer advertises free floating). You just have to enlarge the barrel channel for example with sand paper or Dremel tool and then seal the wood for example with gun stock oil.

The barrel of 452 (22 lr) in out-of-factory condition is never really free floating since one of the screws attaches to the barrel. You can minimize the ill effects by bedding the irons. You can use bedding mass from the back of the receiver all the way to the front screw if you wish to use both screws. Some people use only the rear screw and have bedded the receiver and the first inch or two under the barrel with good results. This way the barrel would float freely.

The differences between 22lr 453 and 452 are the set-trigger in 453 and different screw layout. Both screws in 453 now attach to the receiver. IMO Brooks trigger kit does such a good job that I´d would not choose 453 because of the set-trigger. Also when you enable the set-trigger by pushing the trigger forward, the trigger stays a bit forward which in my case forces me to change my grip slightly.

puppezd,
I agree with you on the set trigger.When you push it forward it does change your grip. I don't like that but the rifle shoots so good I can overlook that.My barrel is free floated all the way to the reciever. I must have got lucky and got one someone took a little extra time on. Also my wood is real pretty with a lot of burl in the wood. The other guys say the same about changing trigger group out. They say it is not hard. I figured there was no problem with free floating yourself because the rifles are set up like a centerfire.
Thanks

Here's a 100yd group from my CZ453 Varmint 22LR set trigger with CCI-Blazer, just a sweeet shooter: Free floated with good wood
grin.gif

th_CZ453.jpg

Box of 50