• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 455 American

apapig

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2013
Looking to buy a CZ 455 American . My objective is punching paper with small groups. Will this gun fill the bill with a decent scope? Thanks for any info.

The 455 American is intended for use as an offhand hunting/sporter rifle.
It does well as a squirrel or rabbit rifle, but was not designed for use as a bench rest rifle.
That said, with some work, it can be used off a rest and can produce moa/sub-moa with quality ammo.
Mine was capable of 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards with the factory barrel.
That's fine for small game, but won't do the job for competition.
Plenty of information on line to improve accuracy and plenty of aftermarket components.

My 455 never quite equalled the praise they often receive in terms of accuracy. While certainly a lesser rifle in terms of fit/finish, my Savage BTVS was a more accurate shooter than the CZ -and neither compared to my factory barreled Sako Quad.

Out of the box most will shoot between .5"-1" groups at 50 yards. With some work like full length glass bedding the stock, pillar bedding, some mods to the bolt internals, and recrowning the barrel will get them to shoot 1/2" or less.

What do ya' think, dj?

Is the barrel bedding taking care of stock flex?
Weak receiver/tenon allowing barrel movement?
Canceling barrel harmonics?

Last edited:
What do ya' think, dj?

Is the barrel bedding taking care of stock flex?
Weak receiver/tenon allowing barrel movement?
Canceling barrel harmonics?

It's taking care of all the above! Ever since doing full length bedding haven't had a single complaint or one not shoot. I still get some who ask for an action area only bed but warn them first. They either listen or they don't. When I do setups now for factory barrels I'm inspecting all the barrels chambers, leades, and crowns. Even if the crown looks good I'm recruiting them anyway and most of the time finding them not even. Any roughness in the chamber or leade I'm not even touching it, it either goes back to the sender or I'll send to cz myself. Barrels like that won't shoot and I'm not gonna fix it as its cz's job :).

The CZ American is nice. I'm in sort of the same boat at you. However, I'm looking into either 455 Varmint or 455 Precision Trainer. Just can't seem to justify the extra $500 for the 455 Precision Trainer. You should looking into those 2 models as well.

It's taking care of all the above! Ever since doing full length bedding haven't had a single complaint or one not shoot. I still get some who ask for an action area only bed but warn them first. They either listen or they don't. When I do setups now for factory barrels I'm inspecting all the barrels chambers, leades, and crowns. Even if the crown looks good I'm recruiting them anyway and most of the time finding them not even. Any roughness in the chamber or leade I'm not even touching it, it either goes back to the sender or I'll send to cz myself. Barrels like that won't shoot and I'm not gonna fix it as its cz's job :).

these 2 gents have spent alot of time with the CZ
it would pay to listen,
they have helped me with my money pit,LOL
YO